SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
widewater

Want 45' breakfast bar height--problem w/finding stools?

widewater
15 years ago

Hello,

I am building a breakfast bar onto my kitchen island, which has a sink built into the island. Since the island is visible from most places in the living area of my home, I am incorporating space between the existing counter top and the bottom of the bar counter top for things like a paper towel holder, soap and sponge dishes and those things that seem to always be out like wet sponges. In other words, in lieu of placing the raised portion of the bar on a knee wall, I am building (or, I should say, am having my husband build!) a short wall with a return that will sit on top of the island to support the new breakfast bar. This will leave a "cubby" between the underside of the bar top and the counter top that I will use to store things. I have been using a prototype for a while and I love having the additional space.

My dilemma: Now I would like to increase the space to 8" to accommodate a paper towel holder. This would cause the top surface of the bar to be at 45", which I have found to be within recommended range.

My concern is that I will have to go with an extended-height bar stool, which is more expensive, and may be more difficult to get onto and off of. It seems like I would need to lower the height to under 44" to stay with a standard bar-height stool.

Has anyone had any experience with a bar at this height?

Thanks for any input or ideas!

Comments (5)