SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
megsy_gw

Is there a rule of thumb regarding end table height?

megsy
14 years ago

We just got a new bed and it is much higher off the ground than our old one. So the end table is really short. Actually, this one isn't *so* bad, but the other side is. Plus, this one you can see is too wide. It fit fine with our queen but with the king it's not doable, I don't think.

The plans for the windows are bamboo shades hung higher than the window flanked by ivory panels. Any alternative suggestions would be great.

Also, while we're talking about the bedroom -- would you put a bedskirt on the bed? And what about artwork above the bed?

Comments (32)

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hmm, are these called end tables? Side tables? Huh.

• Sueb20
    14 years ago

I call them nightstands or bedside tables. Yes, yours looks too short to me. I think it should be close to the height of the mattress. Even if you just think about comfort, it is probably pretty awkward for you to lean over from bed to put a glass or book down on that low table.

I am a fan of bedskirts in general, but not sure about it with your bed. Google some pics of four poster beds and see what everyone else does.

Not sure what your question is about the artwork... it's a little hard to see from the angle of the picture, but it seems a little small to me.

Love your cozy dark green walls!

• Related Discussions

Rule of thumb for spacing when planting trees?

Q

Comments (14)
    your success will also depend on the trees you choose ... since you have dreams of gardening UNDER your trees .... you must be VERY CAREFUL about choosing trees that will allow such ... many trees are shallow rooted and super competitors.. and will choke out just about everything you try to plant under/near them ... e.g. .... you say you want a veggie garden ... which requires full sun [so you cant do 50 trees on one acre] .... and large amounts of water and fertilizer ... IF you were to plant a maple within 25 feet of that space.. the maple will grow its roots into the area.. steal all the water and food .... and then grow so fast.. that within a decade.. your veggie garden will be in full shade ... and will no longer be a veggie garden ... so... choosing the right trees is MOST LIKELY more important than spacing .. good luck ken
    ...See More

Rule of thumb for height of fixture?

Q

Comments (4)
    30 to 34 inches above the table....if not over a table approximately 6'6" so it can be walked under. Of course that would not apply if the fixture is installed in a 2 story area such as a foyer. Most tables are around 30.5 inches from the floor (not talking Pub style)...so at least 60.5 inches from the floor, would be a good starting point. It is easy enough to shorten it later if need be. Not so easy to lengthen.
    ...See More

Rule of thumb for island light fixture size & height?

Q

Comments (2)
    Generally, lights are hung 30-32" above counter level. I would think that 48" would be plenty long enough for a billiard fixture, as long as you have lighting around the island that could fill in on the ends if necessary. Do you have cans near the island? The best idea might be to put two separate, smaller fixtures or pendants instead so you don't have such a massive, single fixture.
    ...See More

Rules of Thumb for Citrus Container Sizing?

Q

Comments (33)
    After many years of watching the redwoods grow and make me ever more claustrophobic, a very smart arborist asked me what i wanted.... redwoods or landscape - "you cannot have both" . By that time the roots had caused over $40k of damage. It was an easy decision. Redwoods are nice in a forest and as a deck. They are NOT appropriate for any residential area. They are junk trees in a landscape that are stupidly planted for quick privacy without regard to long term size ( 150 to 300 ft) and certainly without regard to neighbors. I have many 20 ft and taller red tipped photinia that are providing privacy and the citrus is rapidly adding to the privacy. If you have redwoods get rid of them now. Your neighbors will like you better. !
    ...See More
  • nanny2a
    14 years ago

Our bed is similar to yours in that it is much higher than most beds. We found that we need tables or chests at least 30" high on each side of the bed to comfortably use those surfaces. When looking for suitable tables, consider small dressers, chests or taller tables originally intended for living room use as side table.

If you want to use a bed skirt, you'll find that you may have to have it custom made, due to the height of your bed, and the way the mattress support slats are positioned. Once you find a standard 20" long bed skirt, it will cover up the side panels of the bed, which I think is unfortunate. I found one, but didn't like the way it covered the wood side panels. I ended up sewing my own gathered bed skirt, and attaching it to the wood side panels using industrial strength velcro. This keeps the wood panels exposed. You could opt to go without any bed skirt at all, if that's what you prefer. My little Westie has her bed underneath our bed, and she likes it closed in, like a little den, so I had to custom sew ours to keep her happy.

Your planned window treatments sound great! Once you get it all done, you'll have to post some new pics of the room.

• rockmanor
    14 years ago

Nanny2a, that's a lovely bedskirt - thanks for posting the photo. Hope you won't mind if I steal your idea about the Velcro.

Megsy, I don't know if there's an actual rule of thumb, but I prefer for my nightstand to be 3 - 4 inches higher than the top of our mattress. That's low enough to reach easily but still keeps an errant pillow from knocking a water glass to the floor.

IMHO, your current art might work well if raised so that the top is even with the top of your bedside light fixtures. I think that would create enough space between the art and the stack of pillows, but it's a bit hard to tell for sure.

• karinl
    14 years ago

Going higher with the nightstand than the mattress puts a corner right near your head, so has its hazards too.

It seems to me a bedskirt would be a shame with that lovely rug you've got so nicely placed. I've got bedside rugs like Nanny's but have been thinking about a bigger rug placed as you have it... looks great. But much as I appreciate bedskirts in general and Nanny's in particular, I don't think it works with your rug placement unless the view of the rug is a throwaway. Otherwise, it's one or the other of big rug vs bedskirt, I would think. And given that height, your bed should be a breeze to vacuum under.

KarinL

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I meant to say, what would you do for artwork above the bed LOL

That is just leftover from our previous bed/bedding. It's going into the guestroom I just haven't gotten to it (yet).

Thanks for all the tips.

Nanny, your bedskirt is awesome!

Karin, the rug is brand new so it's definitely not throwaway material just yet. I see what you're saying about either/or and I think you're right. I'm going to leave the bedskirt decision until the very end once window treatments, artwork and nightstands (why couldn't I think of that word?!) are complete.

I'm going to go take some measurements and report back ...

• bl_pickle
    14 years ago

I love the bedding. Pottery Barn?? If not, do you mind sharing where you purchased it?

• rjinga
    14 years ago

so is there a rule of thumb for the height of an bedside table/nightstand? Can you call what is by most peoples standards an end table, a nightstand?

• igloochic
    14 years ago

LOL Yes to question number one rjinga (mattress height or a couple inches above it so that when the bed is made the bedside table is not dwarfed in comparison to bed height).

And to question two....technically it's a side table verses an end table when talking about a bed :oP

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

I have a high master bed. At the time I moved in, I didn't have any appropriate tables (same issue as you). I ended up using matching trunks turned on end on both sides of the bed with tall candlestick lamps on them. This works out well as far as spacial awareness goes and since they match my decor, they are now a permanent part of the room. Definitely think the higher table is necessary functionally and for room balance.

• rjinga
    14 years ago

so if someone has a low bed, or just not a tall bed, then what might be considered an end table (typically found in a LR) could work for a night stand (typically found in a BR)?

and therefore labeling them one or the other is only dependant on where (what room) they end up in? Fair assumption?

• User
    14 years ago

Fair assumption in my opinion Rhonda. Though some look better in one place over the other, most are interchangeable. Names of things can drive you crazy since many have more than one name depending on what part of the country/world we live. Kind of like settee and bench. What's the difference?

Megsy, are you wanting new tables? If not can you lower the bed? That's one gorgeous bed by the way and I love the bedding and rug. Great choices! What color are the walls? It's hard to tell in your photo. That could make a difference in what color panels you choose for your windows. Love the idea of bamboo shades. With all you have going now they'll be perfect! It has the feeling of British Colonial to me. Very nice!

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bl_pickle, the bedding is Pottery Barn :) Ann Marie collection IIRC. I fell in love with it and had.to.have.it. I am planning on putting a chocolate colored quilt under the duvet (and quilted king shams between the euros and the standard) but haven't been able to get my hands on one at Home Goods and I've been too distracted to shop elsewhere.

Vampire, that's a great suggestion. The issue I'm running into is width. I'm not sure I want to cross to far into the window and there's realistically about 15" between the bed and the window. Add curtains and it might just look to smooshed. I think first order of business is window treatments and then go from there. I'm so impatient!

Thanks for the tips, Lynn :) The only thing I won't need to place on the side tables are lamps. The swing arm lamps that are there are adjustable vertically -- so I will definitely lower them to the level you suggested.

Justgotabme, yes, am wanting new tables. Gosh I wasn't clear in the OP. I want new tables, window treatments, wall decor, etc. The bed is a fixed height, unfortunately, but hey got it for $200 on Craigslist so I'm NOT complaining! The wall color is HC97 Hancock Gray.

Okay, some measurements:
    33" from top of mattress to floor
    14" +/- width for end tables
    23" bedskirt, if decide on that, so yeah I'll be sewing one if I choose to go that route.

• User
    14 years ago

Wowza, what a deal! I wouldn't complain either. I've been dreaming of a four poster for years, but I doubt I'll ever get one. Just isn't in the cards for us.

I love your swing arm lamps. I'd use them as to where to place the curtain rods so the panels hang just to the outside of each of them. That will place your tables in front of the panels which I think should allow for easier access from the bed.

Not sure this one linked below will fit your needs, but I'm an avid reader and would love it! Right now my "previously read" books are in a basket on the bottom shelf of my night table and ones waiting to be read are stacked on top of it beside the lamp.

Speaking of baskets have you seen the large ones? They'd be perfect for under bed storage of extra bedding, out of season clothing among other things. Mine would be filled with more books, I'm sure, if I had that kind of space under our bed.

Here is a link that might be useful: The talest night table I could find.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great idea about where to put the panels. So how far over into the window can I go with the tables, do you think?

I like the one you linked to! DH would love that.

• dekeoboe
    14 years ago

You could try looking for an antique nightstand, lots of them are about that size. Mine is 32" tall with a 15 3/4" marble top.

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Another thing you might try would be a floating shelf on each side of the bed. They don't need to be big, just large enough for your purposes. Anyway just thinking out loud.

Sharing a couple of unfinished tables.
    http://www.unfinishedfurnitureexpo.com/w36tahaacta.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Unfinished Table

• User
    14 years ago

I'm glad you liked that one. As for your question, I think you could go as far into the window as the panel does when it's in it's open position. You might want to get your panels first so you'll know for sure what size table will work.
    If you weren't going to add the panels vampiressrn's idea of a floating shelf is an awesome idea.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

I don't have a pic, but I saw a floating shelf with a cool iron hook below it that held a basket that was the same size as the shelf once...the basket hung just low enough to reach your hand into it for your bedside necessaties (edible underware etc) LOL KIDDING but anyhoo, it was sized to match the shelf above it so it sort of looked as if it was one unit on a scale size, but still offered some hidden storage (for edible undies and stuff) :oP

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vampire, I love the idea of a floating shelf! Also -- your link made me realize plant stands might be exactly what the doctor ordered! There are quite a few antique ones on our craigslist for pennies. Even if I decided I needed more storage in a table, I could use them elsewhere ...

I think you guys are right. Get the curtains first and then proceed.

Igloo, have you been spying in my bedroom?

(Totally joking.)

• User
    14 years ago

You two are funny! Thanks for the morning laugh. Now that I've eaten, oh that doesn't sound right, I have to leave to buy my sheers!
    I'm outa here.

• mybrowneyedgirls
    14 years ago

There is one made by Canopy (for Walmart, but better than you'd expect for Walmart--I actually bought this exact table off CL for $30 in perfect condition as a temporary table, but I actually really like it and may keep it :) It is 31 inches tall and is marketed as either an end table or nightstand. Here's a link:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canopy-End-Table-Mahogany-Finish/7732481

• User
    14 years ago

Here is a live link for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canopy table

• igloochic
    14 years ago

Meg...we need to talk about the color of your walls. On my screen they're a lovely olivy green tone. I don't know the brand...can you share the brand name and also the actual tone (since the name is gray something) what are they really? I'm desperately looking for the right green for my master suite to suit while we wait to wallpaper and want a deep olive green tone that makes wood sing...your wood is singing against the walls to me but perhaps it's more gray....clue me in :)

now as to those panties..umm I mean bedside tables. In most of my bedrooms (when we bought the house it had ten) we had tables as bedside "nightstands". Mostly victorian oak. I've replaced those in the rooms we live in with side tables that suit the use of the rooms, but since all of our bedrooms have victorian beds (higher than older modern beds) the table height seems to work. In our rooms we have taller side tables (ie the old toilet table for me and I'm spying a lovely french lingerie cabinet for DH's side right now). Mom's room has a table but I'm going to give her a second one with a few antique chocolate boxes on top to hide the clutter she might need (lynne could trade bedside tables with me tomorrow and be happy..chapstick, coughdrops cuz I'm sick) kleenex and a few mags and a book or two). Next to my bedside table I have an antique slipper box (by the fireplace) that i hide my little laptop in when I go to bed. Lynn was right...you need to suit your needs to get the right table. DH uses a plant stand (larger victorian thing) which holds his mags and the window sill for his evening toddy :) Me...I need hiding for the "stuff" I like by the bed. DS likes to have a few cars and trains near his bed as well as binkies and a bottle, all of which are accounted for next to his bed.

In my alaska home i have used a large iron planter with a round marble top on as a bed stand. An antique sewing machine is FAB as a bedside table (and the right size for your bed). chests or antique luggage stacked or on it's side works well. Antique wash stands, marble top, doors or drawers work well. Just measure the height and let your mind wander through the possabilities without thinking "bedside" table. DH is going to have desk aside his bed in alaska soon. DS is going to have one on his bedside here soon. Both suite our uses of the room and their uses of the space :)

I adore your bed...and want to hit you for buying it at that price LOL

I will say that in the past I've done the skirted table thing in a bedroom and don't like it for practicle reasons. Lovely, gorgeous really to look at...but my cat often wanders there (knocks down the water bottle Lynn left) and leaves fur, and plays with my chapstick, ds squeezes out the foot cream....well you get the picture...it really does not suit my bedside life...and no where for the undies....the chocolate ones can't deal with the sunlight....

MOM I"M KIDDING!!! (my mom reads these threads on occasion and I don't want her to lose her dinner). I'm still a virgin mom....ummmmm virgin decorator..wine drinker....ummmm skier!!!! Ya I've never gone down the slopes mom!!! Really!! (Ok that one time I was drunk) :oP

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Igloo, it's definitely more green! And I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the color. Sorry I'm just getting back to this ... we were out of town for the weekend.

I will certainly keep you guys updated on my table woes :)

• igloochic
    14 years ago

What's HC? (For the life of me I can't figure it out, but I'm a bit short on coffee so it may come to be later). I need to interview that gorgeous tone for our master bedroom!

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    14 years ago

Hey, igloo!! I have an antique sewing machine as a bedside table . It was my grandmother's. It IS the perfect height for my high antique 4 poster. I put it in my room when I was 12, made my folks haul it up from the basement to go with the bed when they bought that for me. Years later, several houses later; same bed, same table. I find the height is perfect for reading in bed. It puts the light from the lamp at just the right angle. On the other side I found an "occasional table" to use, taller than night stands or end tables.

• megsy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

HC = Historical Collection from Ben Moore.

• PRO
    Color by Karen
    7 years ago

I have been a decorator for a while now and I have a bed similar to yours. I got rid of the dust ruffle and I love the look! I am doing Bamboo Blinds too but mine are inside mount. I am also doing white linen dead hang panels! You have great taste! I also have to purchase a higher bedside table. The only thing I would change and this is not a criticism it's a suggestion hang those beautiful prints a little higher so you really notice them when you come in the room! Hope you post pics of final look!

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I have a bed identical to yours, and I can promise you it cost a LOT more than $200, even having bought it 34 years ago! Mine is a Charleston Rice bed. I love my bed, but there are issues with such a bed. Side tables are the first. I have a tilt-top round antique mahogany one on my late husband's side of the bed. It's probably 28-30" round. On my side, I need more space so I have a 3-drawer mahogany chest such as one would use in a hall. It was a vintage piece and is a piece of junk but I can't bring myself to replace it as it is not really visible from the entry to the room, plus I just don't want to spend the money when this one works so well. I have matching tall, skinny lamps on both the round table and my chest.

I struggled for years with the issue of a dust ruffle. I hated to cover those lovely side rails. So I bought skinny curtain rods - the kind one uses for sheer curtains on a glass paned door. I made a bed skirt with a rod pocket and put it on the rod which was attached to the bed posts with small brackets. I used it that way for years and it drove me nuts as it moved around. Finally, I had a traditional dust ruffle made that goes between the mattress and box springs. It is gathered very fully and is made from a blue tone-on-tone striped silk. I like it very much, and I don't miss the side rails as much as I thought I would - it goes behind the rail at the foot of the bed so there is still plenty of wood showing.

The other problem that occurs is the enormous thickness of box springs and, particularly mattresses these days. A typical set would cause my headboard to totally disappear and be so high I'd have a heck of a time getting up onto the bed. So, I have them custom made locally - actually a monetary savings. Of course, finding bottom fitted sheets for a typical 8-9" mattress is next to impossible these days. They can be special ordered from Pioneer Linens in Palm Beach FL but I have not yet done so - still using old ones.

My bed has an optional canopy frame which I used when I first bought the bed, but allergies made that a haven for dust mites so no more canopy.

• Sueb20
    7 years ago

This post is almost 7 years old...