SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artesian79

This is a closet

artesian79
9 years ago

Family member just moved into old old house. I asked what I could send him to help out (think poor college student) and he said a closet rod. I asked him the dimensions of the closet and got this: the door is 30" and it goes back 6 feet. It's narrow and deep but is a walk in!

What?!

I don't want to spend the bucks for a track system. I'm thinking of two bars. One high and one low. I know they won't put a lot of thought into installation so easy is the key.

Would a 1.5" PVC front to back into flanges hold clothing that length? I'm thinking something high above the door on the side opposite the door's hinges. He wouldn't be able to use the whole space but surely that would be better than 30" across the door as a reach in closet?

And then perhaps a second low bar from back wall to 4ft then an elbow and short piece to flange into the side wall? Both top and bottom hanging bars to be about 12" off the wall?

I'm thinking that might give him about 10 inches to scoot down the wall of his walk in closet to get to some clothes.

Does this sound doable? Would conduit be better?

Help?

Comments (6)