SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trilliuminpdx

vapor barriers in crawl spaces of old houses

trilliuminpdx
18 years ago

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I promise I searched the forums for previous answers and didn't find any.

We have a basement in our 1938 house, and then a partial wall that opens into the crawl space. The foundation is poured, and makes up the wall of the basement. From what I can tell, it isn't vented in the crawl space. It used to have an oil furnace blocking most of it, but now it doesn't. The inspector crawled around and suggested removing some wood debris and putting down a vapor barrier. Now that we have to take a break from the yard work, we're looking at what's next on the list.

I know that vapor barriers are the current dogma, but I'm trying to figure out if it is really going to be helpful in this scenario. We live in the very moist PacNW, but I wonder if it's such a good thing to seal off the ground all year around? It seems to me like the house has stood there for nearly 70 years without one and I wonder what the advantages and disadvantages of installing one now are. We do get moisture and mold on the older windows(from the 50's aluminum clad mugly windows), the newer (installed in the late 80s) ugly vinyl windows have much less moisture problems. I think replacing them would have a much bigger effect then a moisture barrier.

I don't mind putting one down, once we clear it out it isn't that much more work, but I wonder if it appropriate in an older house (the inspector also said the chimney needs a ceramic liner, which is next to impossible to do with these old chimneys, you usually put them in as the chimney is built these days).

thanks

trillium

Comments (8)