SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcydc

would you share your shellac removal process with me?

marcydc
13 years ago

I have a 95 year old Edwardian with dark shellac wood through the dining room, foyer, staircase. Ceiling beams. Lots of door trims.

Cleaning with denatured alcohol and rags works, but this will likely take me a few years to finish at this pace. I'll also probably need a couple of dozen gallons of alcohol and many more boxes of rags(I already cleaned out the paint store down the street of 1 gal d.a. and now have to wait for Friday for their next shipment!).

The process isn't all that messy and I don't have to worry about dripping the alcohol onto the floors since it has no effect there. A stripper certainly would require more prep and cleanup (and keeping the cat out of the way). But it might be worth the effort if I can knock out a window in a few hours...

Is there something that has worked well for you that maybe I am missing? Is there a way to reuse the rags? I feel so wasteful!

Here's some pics. Thanks for any help!

Anyone know what that light colored stuff between the layers of shellac is? Seems to make a striped effect on the trim that has it.

Also, any ideas what kind of what this trim is? (house is in San Francisco).

Comments (14)