SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kim2007_gw

Carpet removal--need lots of encouragement!!!

kim2007
16 years ago

On Sunday I started removing the old, green 1970's shag carpet from the room that will *someday* be my office, and here it is 6 days later, it seems like it's just taking forever, and I'm draggin' butt!!! This is really hard to remove, MUCH harder than I had anticipated, and harder than the other room we did. My hands/knuckles are getting really sore from cutting and pulling up carpet, and scrubbing away at the adhesive (is adhesive a standard carpet laying procedure???) and stuck on foam padding. I'm jerking myself awake at night when I'm almost falling asleep because the muscles in my hands and arms keep moving like I'm still scrubbing!!! I'm averaging about 2 x 5 square feet a day, and that's just getting the surface foam off. I'll need to go back over it several times yet to get the cloudiness and thick, petrified beads of hardened adhesive off. The room at present is serving as a 'catch-all' space, as well as storing my clothes until we can convert the extra bathroom off the bedroom into our bedroom closet. It's cluttered with tons of stuff right now, looks like a horror, but under all that there is great potential, I think, for a very interesting space. The fireplace was painted a peachy pink color which I'll remove someday (she says with naivete), and I've only partially painted the trim brown. I did get the walls painted just after we moved in 3 years ago, and we're going to switch out the cheapo hollow-core door to the half bath with one of the extra vintage ones salvaged from another place the house. I need some encouragement to keep going!

The shag carpet before I started:

Comments (14)