SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xantippe_gw

My house has a leak! Where do I start?

xantippe
16 years ago

We bought a 1920's English style house last year, and it did great all year... until now. In one week, our furnace died, we got ants, and we noticed a wet spot on a wall. The leak is really throwing us for a loop.

The wet spot is located in our living room where the wall meets the side of the fireplace, and it's right at the bottom, actually touching the baseboard. The position of the leak--so low on the wall-- is what's confusing us. We don't know if it's a siding problem (aluminum over wood shingles) or a foundation problem or something else. When we look at the outside of the house, we can't find any obvious problems that would be causing a leak.

We really want a professional to come take a look, but we don't know what kind of professional to call. A general contractor? A siding guy? A handyman? How would you proceed?

Also, if you can recommend what kind of professional to call, how do you find a good one? Only one of our friends had a recommended contractor, and he was a repeated no show. Citysearch and the like really have nothing to say in our area (Portland, Oregon) about these kinds of professionals. So I am really unsure how to find someone reputable!

Thank you so much for any help you might be able to give. We really appreciate it.

Comments (4)