SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Quick ideas - pine cottage

robo (z6a)
10 years ago

Hi all!

This is another psychology question. I'm going to see a lake cottage on Saturday. Here's the thing. If I like it, and I think I will, I have to sell my parents-in-law on it. Here's what I know about what they like about cottages:

"Good water view" "Looks cottagey"
"Not too small" "Not dark and dumpy"

My MIL likes that traditional beachy cottage look - think Style At Home. Lots of white, maybe blue painted ceilings, some wood, maybe something like this:

Rustic Bedroom

Or this

Rustic Family Room by Essex Junction Photographers Susan Teare, Professional Photographer

FIL likes golf and big TVs.

So here's the interior of the cottage I'm going to see. Obviously the seller has never heard of staging. Fine by me, keeps the price down.

My question to you is -- what kinds of inspiration photos should I bring to my MIL and FIL to help them envision the place decorated more to their taste?

Also what type of process would you recommend for lighting up the place? For example, all that knotty pine is obviously poly'ed, so I'm assuming white washing is not an option. Just paint, at this point?

Thanks for any advice you can loft my way! I'm picturing myself like one of those people on HGTV with the computer simulation of how the home could look...except way less talented.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 11:41

Comments (15)