SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahoyhere_gw

Help! Plaster water damage - where to start?

ahoyhere
10 years ago

Hey everybody!

I am the new-ish owner of an old rowhouse in Philadelphia. On the "old side" of the house it's all brick dating back to the mid 1700s. It has largely been restored and well cared for. Before now, knock on wood, we haven't had any problems

Today I found this in my stairwell, which is on the "in" side of an outside-facing wall:

I believe this is just plaster on top of brick (or at least that's what it seemed like when I hung pictures).

This is water damage, right?

I don't even know where to start with this so I would greatly appreciate any advice you might have! What do I do first? Who do I call?

Background info:

Around this new bubbling, there is a slight hollow sound when I knock, whereas everywhere else on the wall, when I tap on the wall, it's clearly straight to brick (plink, plink, not CLONK CLONK).

This is new.

We haven't had rain in weeks before when this showed up.

The outside wall is done in kinda crappy stucco but I haven't noticed any other leaks or anything.

There's no plumbing above this wall and I don't see any other damage above or around it.

What's my next move? should I pull it off? It's not wet but definitely bubbly/squishy. What am I looking for? How do I know who to call to fix the underlying issue?

Thanks so much, I appreciate ANY advice/pointers you may have. As you can tell, I'm nervous! :)

Amy

Comments (8)