SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

...about that 3/4' ply in the cabinets

aliris19
13 years ago

Dumb question, I know -- but where is it that it's been specified for? When you say "box" does that mean the surround of the cabinet-container? If framed that would then be set inside the frame, right?

But where do drawer boxes fit into this scheme? Do the drawers themselves also fit inside of a box? So then the drawer is subject to two boxes, essentially, one that houses the ladle, and one that houses the housing of the ladle (if you follow).

So which of these measurements is ideally 3/4"? The box of the cabinet? Why? What difference would it really make? I guess it would be important (duh) that any shelves inside have enough wood to attach to. Apart from that, can you tell? Does it feel more solid? Durable? With less than 3/4" do the sides bow?

And what of the drawers? If you've got that solid housing surrounding the "ladle-tray", why would you want that to be thicker than necessary? It would just cut down on useable interior space, no? Where is the best tradeoff there? Do thinner-sided drawers resulting in warping or bowing? To avoid this is that why 3/4" are suggested? Or am I wrong, even, about the suggestion for 3/4" on the ladle-drawer itself" Was it perhaps only the surround and never the box itself that was recommended to be 3/4"? And if so, please any cabinetmakers out there so-willing to be forthcoming, could you explain the breakdown of all these measurements: cabinetbox, drawer outer box, drawer-box itself.

Thanks for helping with this confusion....

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!