SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skids929_gw

Cabinets-Custom or Semis?

10 years ago

Hello!

We are building a new home here in New England and the builder uses only a custom cabinet maker..Long story short his cabinets tend to look like something out of the 1980s when it comes to styling. He uses old techniques (knife hinges), tiny overlays, and doesn't really provide any special extras in his cabinet package. Top this off with the fact he very expensive and has a terrible attitude and you see why I don't want to use him.

Builder will let me duse who/what I want for cabinets and my allowance is $12k. I have a very good friend who is in the profession, does high end trim out and installs. He recommended the design company he uses and suggested I look at Kraftmaid and Shiloh.

I REALLY like the features I get with a semi custom cabinet maker and quite honestly there is no way a local custom guy can compete. The economies of scale these larger makers have really allow them to make capital investments in equipment a smaller maker never could. So the choices in doors options etc seem to be much more.

After throwing some quotes together based on my budget and lay out I am seeing I get ALOT more for my money than with the builders guy.

Can folks here recommend any makers I should also consider besides KM and Shiloh? And maybe give me some insight into peoples experiences with these two?

Is there any reason I should choose his custom guy? I can't think of one but maybe you can!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths