SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julienpete

Could you give me some ideas on hiding my kitchen?

julienpete
15 years ago

Our kitchen it turns out is TOO open plan. Anyone can see pretty much the entire kitchen from the front door which is something I didn't forsee being a problem but now I really don't like it. I am trying to decide what to do. One option would be to create a wall on the right side(see pic) which would hide the kitchen from the front door and leave the other side open but I am not sure how to do that without it looking odd. Another option would be to create some kind of architectural feature with arches between three pillars at each end and in the middle of the counter but that wouldn't really hide much. I am at a loss. I am thinking some fresh eyes and minds might help? Any ideas are appreciated!

Comments (23)

• julienpete
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

oops, sorry a wall on the LEFT side looking at the photo. That is where you can see into the kitchen from the door. The other side faces the dining area (all open plan though)

• Fori
    15 years ago

We could just trade kitchens maybe? No? OK. Can you do a floor plan sketch to help orient us?

• Related Discussions

Can someone give me some ideas.

Q

Comments (9)
    Yeah, it needs a little something in terms of a railing--maybe some pretty metal work? If it's sunny there you could plant some climbing roses or clematis, unless you don't want bees near your front porch. If you don't, I wouldn't plant things like Russian Sage, etc. When you're fumbling for your keys to get inside the bees may bother you. If you want something to cover that window, or don't mind if it does, then I think some miscanthus sinesis would be cool right there...or any other ornamental grass with nice plumes. You'd have to give the grasses some good compost worked into that soil of course.
    ...See More

Giving my established (but new to me) lawn some TLC

Q

Comments (3)
    mjl5007, You have the deck stacked against you,as far as spring seeding goes. Aggressive summer annuals that are hard to kill compete against your grasses, soon to be hot weather, disease, traffic ( this is when you want to be enjoying your yard), and a shallow root system from your newly seeded grass. So no, I would not seed anything now. Get a few pieces of sod if you have larger bare areas, it will stand a better chance. Thinner areas will fill in be patient warmer temps, longer days and a little fert. will go a long way. Yes, if you need to regrade large areas get some fill dirt and use a good screened topsoil for the top 3 to 4 inches. The screened topsoil will keep most of the troublesome perennial weeds out of your lawn. I would say to hold off on the aerifying because you said your lawn is thin in areas, and I would not want to thin it out even more. Also, without any pictures it's hard to say, but light, moisture, and nutrients are more limiting factors to turfgrass growth than compaction. Unless you guys play a lot of sports on your lawn, then I would say yes aerify. When you aerify you need to go over the lawn four or five times to affect any real surface area. You will also need to aerify in the fall before you seed. The reason for aerifying when you put out lime is that lime moves very slowly in the soil, so your raising the pH in the soil in the top 2 or 3 inches instead of just the top inch.
    ...See More

my W/D is in the garage...give me some ideas to make me excited

Q

Comments (9)
    thanks mountaineergirl! (your name is pretty cool, too!) I am in South Fl...so never freezing....but soooo hot and sticky in the summer...and opening up a hot dryer in the sweaty garage is just such a gross feeling. We can't close the W/D in at this time...and no, there is NOWHERE in the house to put them. I guess I am just looking for some organizing/decorationg ideas...like shelving, maybe some decorative stuff on the walls...just something to make it look pretty plus be organized. I see there is a thread about the laundry room in the basement...I think I'll check that out now. Thanks again for the reply!
    ...See More

Give me some ideas Please!

Q

Comments (10)
    Of course, pick up some of the colors in the panel, but less saturated versions, so the contrast between colors within the border will be minimal, hence, less busy. You could make a southwest border, such as three steps up, three steps down. If that's too much math for you, how about a braided border? Or just a simple piano key border? In the end, I think I'd just have a simple, solid turquise for the border. Then, the quilting in the solid color would really stand out.
    ...See More
  • julienpete
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, sorry, that might help:) Ignore wall sketches, I don't think we are going to the hallway thing right now.

• lightlystarched
    15 years ago

Could you put some planter-type boxes on the counter with tall greenery or something? Just somthing to obscure, but not completely hide the kitchen? That sounds like I'm suggesting a wall of hedges, but I'm not!! I'm just trying to think of something on the counter that would be just high enough to created a "symbolic" division - a couple of taller topiaries, and between them a plate or platter on a stand, perhaps an ironstone pitcher as well.

This way, your eye would stop at the display, and not focus so much on the kitchen.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I like the walls as it looks like you're considering them...with maybe a more centered and/or larger opening between the living and dining rooms. I'm glad you didn't put the cooktop on the end of the island, as it shows in the plan!

• mjlb
    15 years ago

What a kitchen! Not sure if I have my bearings properly, but...

You could add a column (identical to existing) in the corner of the counter that has the secondary sink. Then construct a partial height (or I guess, full height if want) wall between the two columns. It would probably look better if you also added add corbels under the overhang (two on each side). Or, instead of a partial or full height wall, you could add upper cabinets there to block the view.

Other random thoughts: hang a great piece of architectural salvage in the opening; hang a huge chalkboard in the opening; hang a great looking screen in the opening; add an interior window with frosted or beaded or ribbed glass between the columns.

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

I would suggest a wall just from the edge of the island where the pillar is to the other end of the island where the corner of the dropped ceiling is.

If you wish a bit more concealment, maybe a pair of french doors that opened into that space against the fridge and island with a glass transom over it. This may not even be necessary. Even though you will look through into the kitchen still, it will be "filtered" by the wall and opening.

I would try a mock up with cardboard or sheets hung in this location. I don't think it is necessary to close it off too much. Perhaps you could even do something semi- non structural with plantation shutters or panels. This company makes some nice ones

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinecrest architectural panels

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

I get the impression that you would see the range and hood through that opening, and a bit of island. That is not a bad thing to see.

My parents built one of the early open plan houses in their area. One of the things that did not turn out "right" was that the sink is visible right from the front door. It was really only after it was in use that anyone really noticed this. They never changed it in 40 years but that is one thing they say they wish they had seen ahead of time.

• lesmis
    15 years ago

I'm a little curious as to what you don't like about it, that may help you determine what to do with it.

Do you not like being on "display" while cooking?

Do you think your visitors who just stop by think you are messy because you have things on your counters?

Do you feel like that part of the kitchen is a dumping ground when you walk in the front door for bills, keys, purses, etc?

Do you not like having your back to guests when cooking?

If you are just concerned about unexpected people dropping by and a little clutter you could consider doing floor to ceiling glass cabinetry that is lighted. The floor to counter cabinets would take away floor space and remove your breakfast bar area, but could be quite pretty with decorative collections or even pretty seashells. If you have small kids or large dogs be careful putting glass at such a low level and go with tempered glass.

The upper cabinetry (from counter up) would allow for extra storage and would obscure anything on that counter and in the kitchen beyond, especially if you put specialty glass that was very wavy or heavily seeded in it. And filled with dishes, glassware, etc. it would prevent visitors from seeing directly into the kitchen from your entryway yet still let it feel open.

If you want to feel more closed off because of the other issues I'm not sure how to deal with that except maybe to wall that area in and maybe do some open shelving or a mix of closed and open shelving on the entry side and on the dining room side, but I would only do that if you want the privacy in the kitchen while cooking and entertaining.

Honestly I think if you wall the area off you will lose what makes your kitchen so unique and lovely and you'll find you just use your stairs as the new dumping ground if that's the issue. I personally love the open concept of your kitchen and it's so pretty why not show it off, neat as a pin or otherwise?!

When you entertain I'm sure you tidy up before people arrive so I'm guessing this is more an everyday annoyance and for when people just stop by?

When I go to a home for a dinner party I love being able to connect with the host/hostess while they are cooking. I could care less if their kitchen if immaculate, it's a dinner party after all so they kind of need to make the kitchen messy to feed me great food. If someone's kitchen is too clean you can pretty much guess they ordered in lol!!

I was just at a house last week that had their kitchen located immediately off their front entryway and it had black galaxy granite which is very unforgiving, they had stuff thrown here and there, kids papers, her work, etc. and I thought the kitchen was amazing.

I think we worry way more about those little things than others do. But you have to do what will make you happy in the end. If this is something that keeps you up at night than by all means change it. If you are just worried about what the neighbors think, then drop by their house unannounced sometime and see how messy others live. If you live next to Martha Stewart, then ban her from stopping by without an invitation!! :-)

Sorry this was so long, but I LOVE your kitchen!

Kat

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I saw a show once where they hung frosted tempered glass panels to obscure the kitchen area. It looked really great, but is probably a bit too contemporary for your kitchen. Maybe some large leaded glass panels would work though?

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

I see a door in the entry wall next to the stairs that's not on the plan -- what is it for?

I'd like to see a photo shot from the entry way door. Does the family use a different door as the main traffic in & out?

From what I can see, I wouldn't put all those walls up, especially the ones that create an entry hall. It will shrink your living room.

While you are deciding, how about placing a free standing bookcase or etegere out in the "hall", perpendicular to the wall, next to the stairway. This will block the direct sightline to the kitchen from the entryway yet preserve your open plan. I'd also hang something panel-like next to the column on the living room side, as an earlier poster suggested.

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

I think... I really think... you should sit tight for a month or so. If you are used to a more enclosed space, take some time to adjust to the openness before deciding. You might still hate it, but you'll be sure you hate it.

I think, maybe two arches over top of the counter? Meeting behind the sink on a new fancy fake column. Be easy to cut out and tape up big sheets of newsprint (or foamcore board for the lux version) to get a feeling for scale. It would say "this is kitchen space" without walling it off.

The second idea is to simply take off the counter overhang and put a row of a foot deep, 42-48" tall cabinets or book shelves in front of the sink corner. Again, its a visual barrier, but you're not cut off.

• needsometips08
    15 years ago

OK, I hope I am not missing something here. I think I know what you are talking about. I was tagging along with a house-hunting friend last year, and we went through a development where most of the houses were a totally open floorplan to the extent that anyone who came to the door could pretty much visually take in the entire first floor with one quick sweep of the eyes. It felt way too exposed and left a feeling of unease just being in the house. My friend immediately identified *that* open of a floorplan as a deal breaker because it just felt so wrong.

In our house, we have a very closed in entryway (which feels hugely spacious cause the ceilings go up to 2nd story), but you can see only 2 things: walls and a staircase. And I love it that way. Hopefully I am correctly reading why you want some walls up.

Regardless, I think your drawings where you have walls up on the right side of entryway/left side of living room is a good plan. For some reason, in my mind, it reminds me of older homes where the entryway was it's own separate room, which I've always thought was a neat feature in a house. I would include that perpendicular wall against the island, but would make it as small as possible. I wouldn't think it needs to extend way past the island.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    15 years ago

I think the island top has to move- it should not intrude into the staircase line. That's really bad design. I'd suspect the architect. Moving the island back so that a wall can go up is a good idea. The plan will still be quite open, but not as lofty as is is now. It would also disguise the shape that now hangs from the vaulted ceiling, like a giant soffit over the kitchen. Now, it looms because nothing supports it visually; the new wall will do this.
    Casey

• phaze
    15 years ago

I understand your complaint about seeing your kitchen from the front door. In my home you look right at the dishwasher and sink. I'd really like to strangle the idiot that designed it that way.

If you just want to obscure your kitchen from the front door couldn't you put a wall between the side door (closet) and stairs?

{{gwi:1663921}}

Maybe have the wall be about 9ft like this

{{gwi:1663923}}

on the side next to the kitchen you could even put built ins like this

{{gwi:1663925}}

{{gwi:1663927}}
    You have a wonderful open floor plan that will be great for entertaining. I really like the high ceilings. It seems a shame to break that all up.

• gizmonike
    15 years ago

The previous poster described putting a wall where I proposed putting a bookcase or etagere; this is not permanent & would let you test the idea. I'd place it between the door (closet?) and stairway.

• zelmar
    15 years ago

Another possiblity is creating a hutch-type cabinet on the side of the L closest to the stairs by putting in a ceiling to counter upper cabinet (and to complete the hutch look you could add a very shallow base cabinet with doors facing the living area below the counter.) We did this as a divider between kitchen and table--it gives privacy but also leaves a sense of openess with light filtering through the glass on 3 sides of the upper portion.

A column at the other end of the L with a shallow arch on the ceiling between the "hutch" and column would add further definition.

And finally, removing the partial wall near the main sink and putting in a shallow floor to ceiling cabinet (facing the dining area) would separte the space while maintaining an open feel.

The hutch ArtTeacher created is a better example than ours. If this link doesn't work, you can access ArtTeacher's kitchen slide show through the finished kitchens blog. The cabinet is the second picture in the slide show (and is seen in other views of the kitchen as well.) I wish I could paste it here.

Here is a link that might be useful: ArtTeacher's cabinet (2nd pix in slideshow)

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

I really would not suggest intersecting the other spaces with walls. I think the natural break would be at the back of the island in a line along the pillar---> behind the island sink. The other walls chop up the spaces a Lot and the wall in front of the entry creates both a circulation problem and something that takes the fireplace out of the living room and puts it in a no man's land.

I think as long as whatever you have visually supports that looming overhang that would be screening enough.

• julienpete
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You guys rock!! Great ideas :) Thanks so much. I am definately going to consider all of these. I have alot of issues with the architects design. I think I could have a better job in alot of areas!! Once I decide I'll let you know. Thanks again.

• sundownr
    15 years ago

I like ccoombs1 idea. My mother had an opening between her kitchen and another room that she didn't like. She hung some old stained glass windows. To fill the space there were four windows hung from the ceiling on chains, two on top, two on bottom. They were beautiful, blocked the view, but it was still open and the light flowed through. Good luck!

• growlery
    15 years ago

2 suggestions, one temporary, one permanent.

1) a large decorative screen. They have been used for hundreds, even thousands, of years to break up large spaces into manageable visual and functional chunks. They can also help act as a sound baffle to break up some of that "big echo chamber" effect you may be experiencing with all those long hard surfaces for sounds to go pinging off.

2) A clear glass wall. Not a glass brick wall, not a frosted glass wall, a wall, or half wall, of clear glass mullions and muntins that looks like a big window. Picture a big tic-tac-toe board with glass. It would blend with the style of your house.

This is a technique you see in old houses before electric lighting, where they wanted a wall, but wanted outside light to penetrate into the interior of the house. Your mind reads it as a wall, so it feels private, but you can still see through it and get light through it. It doesn't balkanize everything on the other side as a wall does. You could even then hang a couple of pieces of art on it, or hooks for aprons or coats or pots.

If you rent Gosford Park, I think in the kitchen, the have a long half-wall like this.

But, as others have said, don't rush into anything. You may just need time to get used to one another!

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    15 years ago

I can understand your discomfort with the too-open kitchen but I think you may be panicking and thinking you need to do too much.

I note that your kitchen has a one-story ceiling while the dining area and living area have taller ceilings. I would simply cut off the countertop that faces toward the living area and extend the pony wall beneath it upward to the ceiling. You would no longer need the decorative post.

I would NOT try to extend that wall beyond the point where the dining room's 2 story ceiling starts because, if you do, you'll have to try and make the ceilings look right. Instead, I would just have the remaining countertop curved off and brought in to meet the newly raised-up wall. (Not sure I'm explaining this well so I'll attach a sketch. BTW, I see a couple of wall lights and a door (closet?) on the wall beside your entry that don't show up on your plan so I've added those.)

I do like your idea of making opening into the kitchen that is beside the staircase into an arched doorway. And I know this will sound weird since you're trying to close up the kitchen some... but I would put a small arched opening (pass-thru) into the middle of newly raised up wall. A small pass-thru opening would allow a person working at the prep sink to see the front door. But a person entering the front door would NOT really be able to see into the kitchen thru the arched pass thru. All the countertops would still be hidden. They would just get a view of the window that is over the kitchen sink. Also, two arches complement each other and look planned while a single arched opening may just look like it was an after-thought.

I would then strategically place a tall green plant near the bottom of the stairs so it partially obscures the straight-on view into the kitchen from the front door and gives visitor's eyes a stopping point. Maybe a ficus or dracena or philodendron. It'll be a rather low light location tho so you might want to invest in a very good artificial plant rather than trying to keep a real plant alive.

I do think that these relatively simple changes would get rid of the overly "exposed" feeling you have now and would cost a WHOLE lot less than adding a bunch of walls and moving a fireplace, etc.

Here's the sketch:

• julienpete
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So glad I didn't miss these suggestions! Thank you again. Great ideas :)))