SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cruzmisl

Opinions on paint colors? *pics*

cruzmisl
13 years ago

Hi All,

I've been in my house for 14 years now and its about time I painted. I am not that great with colors so I'm hoping I can get some advice from others who have more expertise in the area. I originally decorated very neutral in case I needed to sell the house. Since I'm staying for a while I want to add some color. Here is my plan.

Along the wall to the right (don't mind my dog's crate) I am planning to paint it "blissful blue". Only the wall. The trim and ceiling will remain the same.

Next I want to paint the wall (with the glass block) that separates the kitchen from the great room "mocha java". The mocha will wrap around the entire wall and extend down only one side of the hallway. I'm really unsure on this one though. I don't know if you can have a hallway painted only on one side. There is no where to really delineate where to start and end the color since the corners are rounded. I guess a plus is that the hall is short

{{!gwi}}

Here is a picture of the tile floor that is in the eating area, kitchen, and foyer (for reference).

{{!gwi}}

Any advice truly appreciated. I'd like to get some life into these rooms and hoping all the colors match. I can barely dress myself in the morning let alone pick paint colors :-)

Thanks,

J.

Comments (20)

• yayagal
    13 years ago

Does this hallway open to the living room where you want to paint the one wall blue? If so, I'd choose the lightest blue but I think the browns are too saturated to go with the blue so I would look for the coffee gelato and go one shade lighter.

• User
    13 years ago

I agree with yayagal,they may look perfect on the strip, but the saturation of the colors especially the blue once they're on the walls will be over powering. Instead of using the lightest blue however, I would go to the gray family of colors and pull a blue from there. Once it's on the wall it will still be blue but the gray is what tends to tone it down.

• Related Discussions

Quick! I need your opinions on this paint choice! (Pics)

Q

Comments (3)
    I would do the Antique Copper. I think the Cinn Stick and Richmond Gold are too close to your floor color.
    ...See More

Pics of reno'd beach cottage-- paint colors! LONG, lots of pics!

Q

Comments (17)
    Okay, you can all come down for margaritas on the screen porch! The house is in RI and it's about 1-1/2 hours from our primary house. We had another house in the same area for about 4-5 years and then sold it and bought this one 3 years ago. We are very fortunate because we have a big yard (lots of wiffle ball games) and we're about 4 blocks from the beach. And now, we have water views from almost every window! Previously, the second floor was really tiny and the windows were small so you hardly knew we were near the water. Thanks for all the kind words! I really have to pinch myself because I never thought we'd have anything like this.
    ...See More

Need few opinions on outdoor fan color *pic*

Q

Comments (9)
    THANK YOU Ladies for your input... truly it has helped make the decision to do bronze since the furniture will be dark brown wicker, and a few dark chairs. Natal thank you for sharing your beautiful porch picture... I do like the bronze fan. Also, another good point that Caminnc mentioned was the white getting so dirty... and out there, there is plenty of dirt. I am hoping once we get the fans put up, the dirt daubers won't have any little cracks to go into.. I do like the blue ceilings. Jeannie I will look at the vaxel line; I've never seen fans with a stone look incorporated into the main part... I bet they are pretty! Jane, thank you for your compliment of the house not being a cookie cutter. We spent a couple years in the planning and now are on month 15 of the construction. Hopefully, by Christmas, we'll be in. The house sits in the middle of the farm, so very peaceful out there. Hoping it will be perfect for us empty nesters as we wind down. Thank you ALL again for your help! This forum has been an invaluable resource during this whole process! ~karen~
    ...See More

Opinions on paint colors?

Q

Comments (1)
    They are the wrong tones with the floor that is why you don’t like them. Choose a gray from the tile either darker or lighter but that same color . You will need to bring home tons of color cards to see the color in your house not in that lighting in the paint store.
    ...See More
  • cruzmisl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes the wall that will be brown does extend into the area where the blue wall will be. Here is another angle. The blue wall is along the left.

I don't really care for the lighter blue-its too baby blue. I'd be OK with a lighter gray so I'll have to check out some other paint chips.

So I guess the opinion is the colors are too dark and will be really dark on the wall?

Other than the dark colors does the plan seem OK? Keep the same family of colors but just go lighter?

Thanks a ton for the help. Its tough to try and determine how a paint chip will tranfer to a wall.

J.

• yayagal
    13 years ago

You need a color that is more greyed down. An easy way to tell is to ask the paint man what colors are in the paint. If theres black in it then it's a more muted color. BM historical colors have those tones. I agree with Lurkiirish, got for a gray that looks bluish and you'll be all set.

• jessicaml
    13 years ago

Maybe you've already done this, but I find that a visual helps (these aren't your exact colors, just my approximation based on how they read on my screen):

• cruzmisl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, the blue is too blue but the brown looks really nice. I like the way that looks. I'm off to the paint store to find a grey. Honestly though would I be better off just painting both walls brown or will the steel grey and brown look good together?

• les917
    13 years ago

I agree about the blue needing to be more grey,and I think the brown is too pink.

I am a little unsure why you are doing all these parts of walls, tho. Your space has a lot of angles and broken visual lines already that make a statement. I am not sure chopping it up with colors here and there is really going to do your interesting home justice.

• User
    13 years ago

Cruz, the gray won't look like steel gray on the wall, I promise, it will be BLUE. I don't know about painting the different colors or going with just one. I've had brown on walls before, depending on the lighting it can be dark. Les has a very valid point too, pretty or not, if that brown has a pink tint to it it will look pink(ish) on the walls.

Also, don't put too much faith in those paint strips cause they can be so deceiving. When I chose a color for our living room, the color on the strip (Behr Warm Muffin) looked like a soft creamy tan. Once it was up on the walls, it was gold.

• cruzmisl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the thoughts. I only wanted to do accent walls because the way my home is designed its difficult to do the entire room. Maybe just stick with one color? I'd like to add some color but don't want to ruin the look of the house. Ughh I hate this......

• kristinekr
    13 years ago

I am not sure about those particular colors together. I think brown and blue can go together--you just need the right shades.

I have an open floor plan and did 2 colors as my husband and I could not agree on a color--so we compromised and did both colors. It took a couple of trials (samples are $5 at SW) to get shades that complimented each other. Ultimately, the staff at Sherwin Williams were very helpful and picked the shades--I just knew I wanted a beige and a green.

I really like your clock and little guy above the fireplace!

• cruzmisl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I got a grey that has primarily black as a color with some blue so its more grey than the original color choice. I also got a shade less than the coffee gelato. They both look very good in the can. I had them mix me a pint of each that were $5 and I'll have the painter put it on the walls tomorrow and see what it looks like.

I know colors are very personal but I just want to be sure I'm not making a major blunder that goes against proper decorating principles.

My painter wants nothing to do with color choice and the cheapest interior designer I found wanted $200 to pick 2 colors, the most was $450....thats absurd to me. I don't mind spending money but come on, thats nuts.

J.

• bh401
    13 years ago

Personally, I would choose one color. (You have so many angle and broke up walls, I would try to unify the spaces)

That brown reads pink to me. The house we are renting while completing our build has a color maybe they thought was beige but honey, it's pink. And the living and dining rooms are a strange brown that doesn't even go with the pink. I've wanted to paint the place ever since we moved in. I think a lovely blue grey in both areas would be wonderful!

• kristinekr
    13 years ago

I think doing 2 colors will look fine. Everyone thought doing 2 completely different colors was a bad idea in our house as it's completely open. However, given that I didn't want it all beige and my husband didn't want all green, we did both colors. And it looks great--everyone, including the painter, was surprised how nice it looks and likes the 2 colors.

I think that if you want 2 colors, it will look good as long as the shades compliment each other. That is what will be hard--finding 2 colors that you like and look good next to each other.

If you don't really care about having 2 colors, then do it all the same color--much easier to pick one color than 2.

Or do the hallway wall the same tone, but a few shades lighter on the same paint card.

Good luck!!!

• cruzmisl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got a beige and a grey that look very similar to the floor tile, blend perfectly and look good together. The painter is here now so he's going to put it on the walls and see what it looks like.

The beige we picked that's one shade below the coffee gelato was too light so I'm hoping the gelato works.

My plan is to do the one wall in grey (evening eclipse by Valspar), the other wall in the gelato (also valspar). Ironically the swatch on the Valspar website shows similar colors (but the brown is more yellow) so I'm hoping it will work. Furthermore I'm going to also do the bathroom in the gelato which is right across from the kitchen so the color will follow through. In person the gelato is very warm and soft.

I should also note that the carpet is going to be replaced with a shag that is also more brown. Light carpet with a Great Dane is a tough go.

All the help and comments are TRULY appreciated. Thanks again!

• avesmor
    13 years ago

The mocked up colors were not the way to go, IMO. That pinky brown reads very "Southwestern" with that blue, and aside from your woven blanket, I don't see anything else with a southwestern feel.

They both look very good in the can. I had them mix me a pint of each that were $5 and I'll have the painter put it on the walls tomorrow and see what it looks like.

Keep in mind a color in a can looks nothing like a wet color on a wall, which looks nothing like a dry color on a wall, which looks nothing like a roomful of the color. Maybe ask your painter to put the test colors on some pieces of drywall or posterboard or something mobile, and live with it in a few different parts of the rooms to be painted for a few days.

• User
    13 years ago

Good luck with the colors. I agree with avesmore. It really helps to have something mobile with the color on it. They really do look different even in different parts of the same room.

I was going to ask if you had a Great Dane after seeing the size of the dog crate! I've never seen a dog crate that big! I keep telling DH our next dog should be a Great Dane but he just rolls his eyes and tells me we can't afford to feed it, LOL.

• cruzmisl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I agree the brown is a touch pink but the portion that looks white is actually an off white with a touch of pink as well that softens it. We'll see. He's doing the trim and patching right now. I went and picked up the complimentary haystack color Valspar suggests and it looks like a creamsicle. Lots of orange and not sure it would look good in the kitchen but would look really good in my bathroom. Sometimes I just wish I had a switch to allow me to swap colors. Frankly, I believe anything will look better than the 14 year old paint that was on there.

As for my dog she's 7 months old , 110lbs and eats 7C of food a day which isn't too bad. She's no Yorkie but has a super personality. I didn't want it, the DW did but now I wouldn't give her up for the world :-)

Anyway, here are pics of the paint. Surely not indicative of what it will look like on the wall but gives an idea.

{{!gwi}}

• User
    13 years ago

That Haystack color looks like it would be a good bathroom color. I like the steel blue you got; my fingers are crossed it works out for you. Getting the right color can be challenging, many of us have a ton of samples in our basements/garages so you're not alone.

I just read another post that really reminded me of your and our posts about the "gray" blue. Thought I'd share:

Here is a link that might be useful: another post about gray blue.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

I can't help with the colors, but would it be rude of me to ask if you'd post more pictures of your home? I'm intrigued, it's beautiful! :)

• cruzmisl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oakleyok, thanks for the compliment! I'll post more pics as soon as its all done.

The two coats of the paint are on and the verdict is in. I had to go back and get more samples lol. The grey, while it appears to match the tile exactly it looks really blue on the wall. The brown is a bit too peachy so thats out too. Strangely enough the bathroom paint that I bought on a whim looks great.

The problem with the gray, as I figured out, is its from the blue palette. So instead I got a few samples from the grey/black palette. Neither contain any blue pigment. I also got a brown without the peachy tone. We'll give those a try. I know what I want but as others have said it's just finding the right paint.

Joe