SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pippil_gw

Granite Templating - Don't Miss it!

pippil
16 years ago

A friend recently had her new granite countertops installed and although the Granite Guy measured twice and assured her everything looked fine, one edge of her raised bar had no over hanging lip! It justed ended almost in line with the end of the cabinetry. She was told they "just ran out of granite".

So, though they acted a bit like I was being anal, I made sure the granite company knew I wanted to be there when the templates were positioned on the slabs. THANK GOODNESS! (Thank you everyone on this forum who has informed us that this process is not to be missed!) When I arrived the edges of some of the templates were over lapping and inch here, an inch there - and they acted like this was no big deal. Pressing through the language barrier, we worked together to solve this problem. We ended up cutting down the width of the raised bar area to make all the pieces fit.

Some of the template pieces are separated by just one line. I asked the cutter if that was going to be too hard to work with and he assured me it wouldn't. My fingers are crossed, the granite arrives in a couple of days. We will see ...

Also, there is one differently colored area on the slabs that I really dislike. It will be - front and center - on our smaller counter. Had I not been at the templating and seen there was no other place to position this disliked "spot", I would have regrets every time I saw it.

One further note, wear your old sneakers to the templating. Since they must spray water where the saw blades meet and cut the granite (to cool the friction) the floor is covered with water and mud.

Best wishes to all!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio