SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firstmmo

Here is what templating looks like! (on yummy white granite)

firstmmo
14 years ago

Today we did the templating and planning of which pieces go with which slabs.

I had purchased 6 slabs of White Princess and had them shipped to my fabricator last October. They have stored them since then and now we are finally in the templating stage!

Yesterday the stoneworkers came and took very thin balsa wood strips and laid them out on top of my counters, matching the edges of each of the counters exactly. I had picked 2" square edging, so the cabinetmakers had planned for the plywood to be double-thick so to raise up the edge and allow for the thick look. The workers stapled the balsa templates together, marking right on the templates where the stove was, which edges were which, etc.

Then this morning I came out and they had all six slabs propped up for me to look at again. We first picked which one was the largest slab for the island (9' x 5'). We had two to choose from--I picked based on movement, coloring and what I had envisioned for the big island.

Then we moved on to the other slabs, picking out where the seams would be, how the movement would flow around the perimeter and matching up edges and colors in the granite. I will also have my backsplashes made from these slabs, so we had a lot of counter and backsplash areas to sort out. It was fun flipping the templates around, moving them from slab to slab and literally "puzzle piecing" the kitchen together.

They will hone the slabs then cut them, and delivery next week! Will post pics when we have counters!

Thanks to all the GWers who have helped with their advice! This has been so fun!

From Menlo Farmhouse

From Menlo Farmhouse

From Menlo Farmhouse

From Menlo Farmhouse

Comments (18)