SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maery_grow

Eighties Contemporary HELP! Please...

maery_grow
15 years ago

Okay.. I have an eighties saltbox shaped passive solar contemporary. Which is in great need of updating. It hasn't been touched since 1980. Seriously.. I started humming Duran Duran tunes the moment I saw it! So anyway. It has wood trim all over and beige walls. I really don't know how to approach the update. I want to start with the foyer/entry. I want to add color. Any suggestions on how to brighten and modernize this room would be a great start! It is a darkish room with a little natural light spilling into it from the sunroom. However it is just dull to my eyes! It needs a new hanging light/hardware..

Any suggestions would be awesome. It is difficult to find pictures of other homes like this. Im trying to think of it as a colonial...or maybe an arts and crafts style?? It's not as sleek as some contemporaries...

Mary

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (33)

• maery_grow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

here is a link to more photos of the house..

Here is a link that might be useful: photos

• Related Discussions

Help What do I do with my Eighties COntemporary..

Q

Comments (4)
    You need to post this on the conversation side of the board so people will see it and give you some feedback. This gallery is mostly for filed or finished projects.
    ...See More

Help with contemporary white chairs 4 small kitchen please!

Q

Comments (34)
    Jterrilynn - The chairs that you posted are kinda cute...if only they didn't have spindles in the back, I'd almost say perfect....(spindles are just too country for me)...I agree that they need to have a low back and that is exactly why I am having such a hard time finding any. I have been keeping an eye out on criagslist as well as local thrift stores on the rare occasions that I have time but there seems to be nothing but old country kitchen type chairs...nothing that would work for me. If only I could be so lucky. Clairbouyant - Yes, I did consider a banquette but just don't have the time to build anything right now and I stink at sewing so thats out too. I've been dealing with some computer problems lately so needless to say...I still haven't found what I'm looking for just yet but will definatley post back when I do....in the meantime....I'm still hoping to log in one day to the perfect chair! Someone suggested that I look for restaurant chairs because they are usually smaller....just wish I knew a good source. Ever search I try just ends up showing the same expensive chairs I've already been finding. Ugh....so frustrating.
    ...See More

Contemporary or tropical...design help please!

Q

Comments (29)
    An out of the box idea came to me about your house: there are amazing wonderful inexpensive solid wood furniture that are sold in these stores that sell Asian (usually from Thailand, China, and Indonesia). These are usually made of teak or Asian oak that are very light in color. They are really durable tropical wood. I actually have a bench by my front door made from reclaimed wood from a torn down building in China. The scale of these furniture is amazing. My bench is made of 6 inch thick pieces of wood. What about using some of these pieces of furniture to make unfitted unique kitchen in your house. Crate and Barrel is selling alot of furniture with this wood. The colors would be absolutely stunning with your light stone floor. (They look like unpolished slate) The texture would also look great since the grains in these wood are slightly rougher and you leave it as is. This will bring in the tropical theme since they are truly the Asian tropical origin. I am not a fan of palm frond, teal and coral tropical decor that you see in rental condos.
    ...See More

my life is contemporary and beige. From cream to dream, please help.

Q

Comments (12)
    I’m interested in Paint colours. I noticed the green accent pillow on your sofa... How do you feel about green on your walls and ceiling? Edited to add: I also think a rug would be an awesome addition to the living room, like Z mentioned. Size it so that all of your furniture sits on it -- front legs minimum, back legs ideally.
    ...See More
  • mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

I know this might not be what you want to hear, but although you want to start with the foyer, I would really start with coming up with a plan for the entire house. What do you want the whole house to look like? Then work that look through various rooms. If you start with a room, the house will end up looking choppy.

Some questions to start:
    What does the outside look like?
    Do you have any inspiration pics?

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

Paint and a new light fixture will go a long way. Since the house is contemporary, it may be difficult to change the style too much. Trying to superimpose one style on another doesnt work that well when the scale is different. A true colonial revival or craftsman wouldnt have vaulted ceilings or open skylights,for example.

However if the finishes and colors and fixtures were updated, that would help a great deal.

On the other hand, the midcentury modern furniture that is catching the eye of many designers is 1980s. Of course it gets used in reinterpreted ways, rather than pure '80s time capsule.

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

And I totally agree with flyleft: A concept that will be carried through the house is best. Even if you can't complete it all at once, perhaps you can phase in particular elements: for example, determine a paint scheme first, then replace the outdated ligting. After that you could move on to door hardware, etc. Paint will have a large impact.

• saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

Nick was my favorite with Simon as a second!! Gosh, I loved Duran Duran & still start dancing when I hear them!! Can hear them right now!! dancing.....

Wood treads on the stairs?
    New light fixture - maybe a ceiling mount to make the ceiling seem taller.
    Trim out the bi-fold doors with a fun wallpaper in the middle or maybe bamboo or rattan to update the doors.

Like that spaniel in the pic, too:)

Smiles:)

• awm03
    15 years ago

Hmmm, this IS a toughie. No great architectural features to play up, bland carpeting & tile, plain & rectilinear everywhere you look...

Well, the good news is, consider it a blank canvas!

I don't think you can swing it to arts & crafts or colonial without spending big $$$ on new trim, moldings, doors. That's not a cheap change. You would get more bang for the same amount of bucks by investing in furnishings, rugs, paint, & lighting.

But you could make a cool contemporary decor by going with the clean lines & plain bones. Maybe invest in a really great contemporary light fixture for the foyer for a statement piece. You have some good artwork on the walls. Maybe reframe the picture over the small table to give the pic more presence, and find another colorful abstract to replace the 2 pictures by the stairs. An antique art deco console could replace the lamp table you have now. A contemporary rug could be fun and really liven up the entrance. Or go plain rug & play up the artwork. Whatever color you use for the walls, I'd use for the trim & doors too, or go a shade lighter. De-emphasize the woodwork in other words.

In general, think abstracts & rounded things to work with and play off the rectilinearity of your architecture. Go for strong lines and color instead of detailed pattern.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

• maery_grow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

here is an outside photo thank you! Excellent advise so far..

Here is a link that might be useful:

• awm03
    15 years ago

Oh cool! That home could be lots of fun to work with. What a great bank of windows. I think you have a diamond in the rough there :)

• parma42
    15 years ago

Could you post more pics of the whole house? I'm getting confused about the vaulted ceilings that were mentioned and the design of the rest.

I agree with the other posters that colonial or arts and crafts wouldn't be appropriate and, quite frankly, with your choice of art pieces (which I like and are interesting), don't seem like a style that would be pleasing to you anyway.

In keeping with the confines of the lines of your place, I could see a slightly Spanish meets contemporary vibe. You can usually tell a lot about a person's tastes by the art that they choose. In your case, I see something with a bit of passion, which could transfer to the wall colors and art, and then pair that with sleeker lines in your furnishings.

Not knowing a budget, it's hard to make too many recommendations but paint is sure a cheap way to start and I think a green would look great in your foyer.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Rats! You post new pics with so much great information in them and I have to go out! Can't wait to read what other folks suggest.

Oh, and btw, is that the elusive owl-cat in the first photo? ;)

• maery_grow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Most of my art is aquired. SOme of it is from my artist friends.. the textile over the table is a really old peice. Im not even sure if I want to decorate around that. I can move the art...around Im open to that. I guess color and overall aproach is what Im after... things like would you paint the wood?? or..leave it and just change the wall color.. what color or style rug? Would you go with pewter light fixtures or bronze? Same with door handles? Pewter..on white trim..would you paint the doors a color? live the trim white? Should I just go wild.. it is a contemporary.. but it is virginal..and in a time capsule! Untouched since it was built!!!!

• maery_grow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

FLYLEFT_Owl cat? I never heard of that.. I have heard of her kind as a tortoise shell.. I like that owl-cat. I love owls! My dog is Andy.. english springer spaniel..he is my velcro dog!
    parma42.. I did post some outside photos..I can take some more of the inside.. pLEASE know I just moved here in Aug. and the furniture doesn't reflect my taste for this home. It comes from a very traditional colonial we had in PA.

• mclarke
    15 years ago

I love the look of your house. On the exterior, is the trim painted or finished wood? I'm guessing it's painted... When you get to the outside, consider painting the trim a dark forest green. This will enhance the tones of the natural wood and update the look.

Re the interior: have you explored the Transitional style? This style is a "union of traditional and contemporary furniture, finishes, materials and fabrics."

Transitional would be a good style for your house. Clean lines, warm tones. Google "Transitional Decor" and you'll find lots of information.

Re your foyer... you have clean lines and warm toned wood. For the wall color, I would suggest a warm olive green. This will complement the orange tones of the wood and the floor, and again, will update the whole look.

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

I might consider doing a selective paint out of some of the woodwork on the interior. I am biased: I have never been a fan of that yellowy orange finish. The bifold doors are not really "stain grade" and I am not sure they need to be called attention to. I sometimes recommend painting closet doors or other secondary doors a version of the wall color even if the trim is kept natural. It also looks like the bottom edges of the trim have some water stain from washing the floor. That grey is hard to get rid of.

However I do like the chunky scale of the banister and handrail. I think that is going to come back in a big way. Perhaps paint the spindles and keep the rail stained.

You are going to have to be careful with the floor when choosing a wall color: a green or yellow may turn that floor pink. You may need to find an earth tone that actually has some peach or pink undertones in it to reduce the pinky-ness by reducing the contrast.

• maery_grow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

McClarke- Thanks you. I really do have to do the outside as well. It is all stained..and needs to be redone. I like the idea of doing green trim that would be nice!
    Okay I will look at Transitional Decor. THat is what I need. An overall.. design idea. Its not really colonial..or arts and crafts.. but I just don't know what design style to go for. I like to mix things up..and Im into a relax style...artsy. I just don't want the time warp..grungy feeling it has now. Thanks much for the advise!

• maery_grow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I have to say.. I was always told by a fashion diva to choose colors you look good in.. So. Im not an olive person. I have dark hair and blue eyes.. and light skin.. So my palate..is mostly deeper tones..purples..I love silvers..and if it is green it has to be a blueish green. Im also a fan of neutruals.. that pick up hues.. What do you think of doing a mural..on one of the walls? Something kind of pop art-ish..like up close of dandilions...or something blowning in the wind.. In Brown..and have the oposite wall in the same color..? I agree the wood work is blah..and the doors are that cheep hallow.. crap. I have expensive taste with a tight wallet. However I can Paint! I love to paint...

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I have to agree with the others about NOT trying to make the house something it isn't. You have to just embrace what it is and try to bring it up to be the best it can be....and that is contemporary. I am not talking sleek fancy contemporary, just clean lines and as unfussy as you can be. I have seen people take a contemporary house like that and go traditional, but it is tricky and takes a very practiced eye.

We see a lot of houses like that here in Western MA and many of them are furnished with Danish Modern. It's not my favorite style, but I think it looks right in this kind of house, has the clean lines you want, and is usually very well-made. If you can live with that look, it will not fight the house and is a great backdrop for color and art and decorative things, plants, etc. It can be had at a good price on Craigslist as it is out of favor with some.

Speaking of plants, that kind of house speaks to me of connection to nature. I think using natural materials as much as possible -- wood furniture, rustic fabrics like linen weaves, matchstick blinds, slate flooring, natural stone, etc. -- will lend a cohesiveness to the whole house. Think about "bringing the outside in" if you can. (Sorry for the cliche, but in this instance I think it works.)

I would start in the foyer with new flooring. I can see peacock slate on the floors and wood on the stairs. I think you could leave the banister on the left but I'd replace the handrail on the right so that it is not that wide 80's thing, but rather echos the shape of the top rail on the left. (Sorry....stair nomenclature is not my strong point.) Finish with a great modern light fixture (look at Ikea if you blew the budget on the floor!) and then maybe paint the walls white for now.

I also think I'd consider painting the trim white, but I just like white trim. Whatever you decide, for now I would paint the doors and the trim on the closet whatever you choose for the walls -- try to make them disappear.

Fly is right that having a vision for the whole house will be helpful. But, if you can't stand the beige and you're willing to paint yourself, just going with a nice white will give you room to think about color for a while...again a blank canvas, so to speak.

• maery_grow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Amyrq_ I love your advise about the bring the natural in. I love that. And.. your advise about Danish modern..is somehting I like as well. I like the new..look of decals on the wall..birds..florals..etc. I also have purchased matchstick blinds for all the bedrooms!

White walls? That is not a bad Idea. Just to see what the rooms look like with out color. Painting the woodwork too?
    hmmm.. It would brighten the hall alot!and freshen it up.
    I just can't do the floor right now. Money is tight. :) for everyone...So that could be something down the road.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I spent so much time spell-checking, it looks like I cross-posted with a bunch of people with good advice. Sorry...

I love those decals too. Very fun. And temporary. And cheap. Before I could re-do my 80's almond laminate kitchen in the last house, I put a line of rainbow trout wallies around the upper cabinets! They made me smile and helped me acknowledge the fact that that kitchen was not meant to be taken seriously.

So, if the floor stays, I think I might want to stain the grout to match the tile. Less distraction. (I have to do that in my brand new bathroom, if that's any consolation.) Then find a cool rug at Homegoods. Something contemporary and colorful....start to play with the new look in a low-commitment kind of way.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• maery_grow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What is the style of my house? Contemporary is to broad. Is it more of a danish modern?? Would that type of furnishing be appropriate? WHat I mean is that it is here in NH..it is very New England. So I don't want to do Spanish.. I want it to be in it's element...in it's surroundings. Althouth I also realize that style reflect what you like. I love the outdoors..and have some tradition elemnets to me. Soooo...

I really don't like the kitchen..$$$ I want to replace the rug in the familyroom with wood floors $$$ I want to add a gas fireplace in that room.$$$ I have painted the diningroom woodwork..partially...and added one gray wall. I want to change the curtains..$ I want new windows.$$$$$
    The sunroom is very peach...it needs new window treatments they are broken..$$$ it is all very overwhelming..when you see the whole picture. Hence the starting point..the entry. Just because you see it first. It is a starting point for the feeling for the rest of the house. Right??
    By the way thanks for all the help here are some more
    pictures.. of the overall house.

Please excuse the mess.. I didn't pick up before taking the pictures..a bit obsessive in my plan! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: inside.. more pictures.

• deegw
    15 years ago

A new light fixture will immediately make a big change. Amy beat me to it, but I wanted to add that rugs will make a big difference too. The paint color looks pink on my monitor. A nice buttery yellow might work. I foresee lots of test splotches of paint on your foyer walls.

• teacats
    15 years ago

Here's some examples .... hope these help ...

Working within your surroundings -- try a theme of "Natural, Fresh and Contemporary" -- imagine colors of nature: sand; gravel and rocks; all kinds of fresh greens from moss to lichen; splashes of autumn reds; oranges; browns like tree bark.

Starting a full-house makeover:

1) Measure, measure and measure -- Start a Decorating Workbook. Find a basic binder -- fill with plastic sleeves. Create separate sections of each section of your home. Now -- start measuring! Measure EVERYTHING including doors, windows and hallways. ((just imagine finding the perfect sofa and it won't fit in your door!)) Write it all down in the notebook. Take photos of each area. Add to your notebook -- this IS the perfect example of "a picture says a thousand words"!

2)Research & Development -- look at magazines, websites and blogs that work with your style. Photocopy photos -- and put them with the measurements. Think about how you want each space to work for you! And then note down the Pros and Cons of each space -- Too Dark? No Storage? Not Enough electrical outlets? So that you can look for ways to work/correct each one as you go along .....

3) R&D (part two) -- Check your local Craigs List. And local and online shops. Ask questions about style, shape, cost factors like shipping and returns.

Again -- hope this helps!

Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: design assistant website -- contemp living areas

• awm03
    15 years ago

"What is the style of my house?" It's just late 70s to mid 80s contemporary. In some places it's referred to as California contemporary -- like it was a style commonly found in the Sierras. But the style was popular nationwide in that time period, and wasn't even particular to California.

Danish modern was more late 1940s through early 1960s.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I think there is DM furniture, but not DM houses. (Could be wrong.) I just think that DM look would fit your 80's contemporary. Danish Modern furniture is still being produced, btw. I far prefer the "original" look to what I consider the souped up version at the DM stores nowadays.

Btw, is anyone else besides me getting linked to my photo bucket page instead on the OP's? Weird...

• parma42
    15 years ago

This is too weird, Amy. It just linked to MY photobucket, not yours...and I was looking forward to seeing more of your home. :)

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

Architectural Styles often don't get a unique descriptive name until after the fact. CA contemporary or 80s contemporary is about as close as you are going to get other than "Late 20th century American Vernacular" which doesnt even describe as much as 80s contemporary.

The name that I have for this type of interior is perhaps a bit negative, but I dont really mean it to be:
    "high interest rate, or recession interior"

Many houses built during the 70s and 80s when interest rates were very high are all exteriors. The inside is a white box with minimal trim, hollow core doors and a mixed bag of lighting and hardware that is generally in conflict with the interior spareness (neo-victorian lighting comes to mind). The architect's or custom builder's version of this home would have had slate or quarry tile floors, exposed brick or stone, probably some real wood paneling, wall to wall in a post seventies shag or sculptured finish--and antique brass or bronze hardware with some whacked out Paul Evans style pendant lighting.
    (Also known as a "seventies p o rn interior" :-) So perhaps you are better off with the blank slate as far as adaptability goes.

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I agree about using colors that flatter you. I'd paint that trim, rip up the carpet, and live in it a while. I like the clean lines of Scandinavian design, but with a playful, folk art element. I've linked to a British retailer, but just for inspiration.

Here is a link that might be useful: Skandium

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

Maerv Grow

I'm in agreement those who say don't fight the style of your home. Your home is contemporary. So go for it. ORB does not fit the style but brushed nickel or brushed gold would. DM style would work but you can mix that up also with more modern/retro styling. Late 1940's, 1950's, and very early 1960's. Just check out some of the old movies from those times. Frank Sinatra type 1950's and 60's.

If the foyer is where you want to start than so be it but you have to have something to work off of. Either an area rug or fabric.

There is a couple of things you can do with the bannister.
    Either paint it black or restain it very dark like a chocolate black. Do you really need the handrail on wall? If not, think about removing it.

How about hardwood floors?

My first thought when I say your home was WOW my furnishings would fit in there nicely. LOL.

• maery_grow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

palimpest- Oh My LoL.. YOur calling my house a seventies porn house?? Ha ha ah.. I laughed so hard. Seriously though my husband and I call the previous owner Penny..as in Penny the pincher.. She and her previous husband built the house. They never really put one cent into it since they built it. Seriously.. and they did all they could to put their money in the structure and size.. it is nearly 3000 sq feet. So. It is not cookie cutter. It was custom. They just seemed to lack the desire to put "style" into it. She was an accountant... need I say more.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inside of the house other rooms...

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

Don't get me wrong, I really like the exterior of the house, and the interior volumes are probably dramatic. It just looks like they kind of gave up with interior detailing. That could actually be your saving grace in the way of being the blank slate.

• amysrq
    15 years ago

Palimpsest is right....just think of all the things you don't have to rip out.

Parma, that is the strangest link to photobucket! But it did force me to clean up my primary album....finally.

• mistybear11
    15 years ago

maery_grow You have a wonderful home. I look forward to seeing the changes over time. I have always dreamed of something very similar. I love the wood exterior and the wood inside. What to do for the changes to make I will leave up to the ones here who know what they are talking about since most people here know that I would paint in the dark gray purples. I mainly just wanted to say how much I like your home.

Linda