SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

My pictures of Toronto (pictures)

annie1992
14 years ago

OK, I started a new thread because the other one got so long. Be warned that I didn't shrink the pictures.....

Anyway, Elery and I went to Toronto last weekend. It was my birthday gift. Yes, I know my birthday was in May, but summers are just too busy with gardening and canning, haying and fencing, and then there's that pesky job that supports my farming habit, LOL.

We saw the CN tower but we didn't go up, we took the subway to China Town, we saw the Hockey Hall of Fame and we took a streetcar to the harbor. You know, they say "ride the rocket". I know why now, that subway car comes along and it'll blow your hair back!

The Hockey Hall of Fame was a very cool old building and Elery had to join the players...

We went to the St. Lawrence Market and had breakfast on Saturday. Something you can only get in Canada, yup, it's the famous...

I had a piece of baklava, something I'd seen, heard of, but had never tried. It was.....OK.

the market was amazing, it had everything from cheese to bread to wine. I bought a bottle of wine at this wine outlet to take to supper with Sharon and Woodie. The clerk told me that Sam Neal had been in there a few days before, and that George Clooney had been in there the night before. Oh, I guess I should explain that it was the last weekend of the International Film Festival. There were stretch limos and 5 piece bands set up on street corners and street musicians and security guards.

They had very, very fresh pork. Also pheasants and ducks, elk and bison, seafood and anything else you could think of, cooked and uncooked:

There were also half naked people with a lot of photographers, I'm only assuming it was some kind of modeling thing or photo shoot:

the harbor was beautiful:

and I found this in ChinaTown:

Yes, it appears that for a price you too can have Annie Hair, LOLOLOL>

You've heard about how Elery and I nearly missed the train, we were on the wrong platform, but we ran and just got into the closest door as it was closing. I heard a voice say "Annie", and turned around to find that Woodie and Ken made the same train. And it was a big darned train, too.

Clive and Sharon met us at the train, and we promptly started drinking. (grin) Of course you knew that. Here is Clive, Woodie and Ken:

Sharon shows us a lovely plate that San sent her, with peonies on it:

OK, enough of the pleasantries, let's eat! Sharon made a nice plate of cheese and crackers and stuffed mushrooms, which were very, very yummy, and a selection of olives. I let Elery have ALL of my share. (grin) I can only identify one of the cheeses, it was an Irish Cheddar with Guinness that I bought at the market especially for Rosie O'Grady.....um....Sharon.

Sharon's table was set beautifully:

We started dinner with Sharon's Roasted Red Pepper Soup, Elery promptly asked for the recipe:

Our other courses were a crown roast of pork, oven roasted root vegetables and garlic mashed potatoes. Real butter because I'm the picky eater of the forum and Sharon knows I do not eat margarine. She didn't know that I'd just as happily gone without any butter at all and just eaten the garlic potatoes as they were, they were so good with the roasted garlic she added:

the cheesecake was perfect. Elery said it was the best cheesecake he'd ever eaten. It was heavy and dense and a little crumbly, just the way good New York cheesecake is supposed to be. Elery doesn't eat desserts often but he had a bite of mine. Then another. And a third. Yeah, it was that good.

We discussed wine in a can, a concept that drew mixed reviews, LOL.

We exchanged gifts, at least Woodie and Sharon did. I'd left mine at home on the dining room table next to my jacket. Did you know that it's kind of cool in Toronto in mid-September at about midnight? Serves me right. Sharon gave us a jar of her famous chili sauce and some mustard and mustard based BBQ sauce. She must have known that I love mustard, and I know that Canada produces 90% of the world's mustard. She wrapped them all up in a pretty tea towel:

Woodie brought me Autumn sprinkles, because she knows that I use sprinkles by the silo full. Also silicon jackolantern molds and coasters and onion goggles and a fridge magnet!

Here are my gifts. (sigh) Guess what they are? They will be going in the mail promptly, sorry ladies, I'm a b*tch. Also disorganized and forgetful... So, the bag is for Sharon and the tall package for Woodie, any guesses? Not that I'd tell you anyway. (grin)

We ate and talked and the last train left Oakville at 11:30. We made it to the station with about 3 minutes to spare, and left poor Clive to do ALL the dishes. I didn't think Woodie was going to make it up that last set of stairs from the train, we were all so tired. If I were really a nice person I'd have offered to carry her up, but it was late.

And finally, I just had to post the picture of Sharon, just because I think it's such a good picture.

Thank you, Sharon, for a wonderful evening, a perfect dinner, a great time.

Woodie, I had a ball meeting you and Ken, you were exactly what I thought you'd be like. I hope you're having a great time the rest of your trip.

Tomorrow, it's back to work, but I couldn't have asked for a better weekend.

Annie

Comments (19)