SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katiec_id

I bought it...now what do I do with it?

KatieC
12 years ago

We just picked up our 4H market lamb. I'd never cooked lamb before last night. For years I thought I didn't like it, until one of our favorite restaurants changed my mind (think I'd been fed mutton).

Last night I made spicy Moroccan-ish meatballs with a garden ratatouille (tomatoes, green beans, peppers, garlic, scallop and zucchini squash and baby Asian eggplant) and preserved lemon couscous. DH was less than enthusiastic about getting a lamb, but after the meatballs he decided he could tolerate it.

We have chops, boned and rolled roasts (which I figured I can make into kebabs or stew or...), shanks, and I had the rest ground. I have a Basque cookbook, and I know I can google, but I'd love some T&T recipes.

Comments (7)

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Elery really likes lamb and one of his favorite way to cook chops and steaks is to marinate for several hours in Jessica's lime and chipotle marinade, then grill.

Annie

• Islay_Corbel
    12 years ago

The french roast lamb with LOTS of garlic pushed into little cuts in the meat, served with roast, crispy potatoes and flageolet beans.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Likely you have a few packages of rib chops and a few others or loin chops...a bone in leg roast or 2 LOL! a couple of packages of shanks....and perhaps a saddle roast....depending on how you had it cut.
    I hope your lamb is young....sometimes the 4H market lambs are a month older than I like and have more fat than I like.
    The fat carries the gamey taste that some object to....so if it tastes gamey to you the next time you cook it remove as much fat as you can.
    Sometimes I butterfly and bone the leg....rub the inside with several cloves of garlic, crushed and oregano and olive oil. Let it sit for an hour or so....then squeeze fresh lemon over all and grill it medium rare...very yummy.
    I also grill the chops medium rare.....and roast a leg with lots of garlic as Islay says.
    The ground lamb makes good burgers or moussaka or meatballs to serve with a Greek style tomato sauce.
    Linda C

• colleenoz
    12 years ago

Shanks cooked as you would osso bucco or braised with onions, port and tomatoes are good. The ground lamb could also be used for curried koftas (meatballs in curry sauce). Another roast variant is the skin rubbed with thyme and ginger, then browned on top of the stove, slosh in 2-3 tablespoons of gin then place in the oven to continue roasting.
    DH prefers his chops roasted on an oven rack to reduce the fat. I rub them with garlic and chopped rosemary before placing on the rack. They're also good pan fried and then just before they're cooked brush with some chilli jelly on both sides and finish cooking. Don't put the jelly on too early or it will burn.

• KatieC
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the ideas, all. Garlic and rosemary is my favorite combo for pork, and I have some jars of Jessy's sauce, which we also like on pork and chicken.

LindaC, not sure how old it was, but it was 126 lbs. live weight.They ranged from 100-150. I didn't know the fat gave it that taste....maybe I was fed a fat lamb the first time.

Colleen, do you mean what I call pepper jelly? Yum. I have some peach-chipotle jelly, too, but that might be too fruity. As long as there's no mint jelly...I think DH would rebel.

• colleenoz
    12 years ago

I think so, if you mean a combination of hot and mild peppers suspended in jelly (I use apple jelly with vinegar).

• jessyf
    12 years ago

Thanks for reminding me I have some of that lime chipotle goodness in my freezer as well.

Tonight's lamb loins (Costco) were treated with Penzey's Lamb Seasoning. If I had more interest I would have added fresh garlic, EVOO and balsamic vinegar. Too lazy. Still awesome.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio