SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mama_mia_gw

What is that SMELL ?!

mama_mia
13 years ago

Help! We have a smell in our house that we cannot identify, and therefor cannot get rid of!! We have a cute little cottage as a vacation home, 2 br, 1 bath, about 700 sq ft, one story. It is about 50 years old but was completely rehabbed by a developer for sale, and we're the ones who bought it last spring.

As soon as you walk in the front door, you're hit with this odd smell. It's not sewer gas, or a natual gas smell, not a dead/dying animal smell... I don't know what it is, but it's in that family of smells and I don't like it. Opening all the windows will allow the place to air out in a few hours (although it doesn't completely go away). It's so strong that when my husband opens the front door of the house, and I'm still waiting in the car, I can smell it over in the car.

When we purchased the house, the realtor and the house inspector both said that the house smelled "musty" because it had been closed up for so long. (but I wouldn't call the smell musty) That sounded fine at the time, and I think they honestly believed that, but it's been 5 months now and the smell is exactly the same, and exactly the same intensity as that first day, despite our cleaning, added furniture, cooking and living there.

We are only there on most weekends, and during the summer it's not a problem to open all the windows to air it out, but now with the weather changing... well, that's not an option. If you close the windows, go shopping for an hour come back, and there's the smell again, pretty much same intensity.

A few facts-

* the smell is in every room, in every closet (so it's not duct work, the closets do not have vents)

* we had the chimney cleaned out to make sure nothing was alive or dead up there, and it got a clean report.

* the smell does not change whether the ac is on/of or the heat is on/off.

*the previous owners said it didn't smell like that prior to rehab and they don't know what the smell is (An elderly lady lived in the house, her son took a year to clear it out and prep for sale, sold it to the developer, who did the rehab. It was on the market for about a year. The son lives nearby and came over when we moved in and talked to us)

* burning candles or air fresheners do absolutely nothing.

The frame of the house, and the room layout has not changed. The developer painted the interior and exterior walls, remodeled the bathroom, put in new carpet in the bedrooms and slate tile in all other rooms. Added ceiling can lights, and replaced the windows.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a) what this smell might be, or be coming from and b) how to get rid of it ?

It's such a cute house, but that smell.... TIA

Comments (32)