SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thesannie

I remove the wood paneling to find... More wood!

thesannie
16 years ago

My home was built in the 30's and has no insulation (and what there was was in the attic and has been smooshed to nothingness over the decades). I was told that the original walls were under the tacky wooden paneling all over the house, and so I assume it'd be plaster and lathe - that was the common wall/ceiling material back in the day. So I check with my neighbor who owned the house for 30 years to see if he knew what condition the plaster would be in only to find that there's no plaster in the house at all...

I've torn off the wooden paneling from the walls and removed the ancient wallpaper and canvas (gauze by now), only to find that my walls are made of shiplap; ceiling, too! They're very thick, at least half an inch, and I can't see any way to remove them to try and stuff batting in the gap. He also told me that there were fire-block beams going across the middle that would make dropping rolled or blown-in insulation very difficult.

Should I even try to insulate those walls or just concern myself primarily with insulating the attic and the doors and windows?

Comments (2)