SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
feeding3boys

Just starting out...comments welcome! (Pics)

15 years ago

I've been lurking here for the last week after stumbling upon this forum searching for kitchen inspiration (seems like a familiar story...) So, after finding some amazing kitchens and helpful advice here, I thought I'd step up and lay it all out there! I apologize in advance for the mess-I just finished making donuts for the boys (3 under age 5!) this morning. :-)

This is going to be a mostly DIY, budget project. (Not our first project...but our first kitchen re-do!) We will not be able to change the layout, but it actually works pretty well for us so that's ok.

Here's our kitchen...certainly not the worst in the world but not really "us."

As you can see, we've been poking around a bit and unfortunately the soffets can't be removed for our budget. The pass through is a bit strange to me, but I don't know whether to close it up or leave it.

Here are the cabinets...for some reason i cant get the photo to rotate...

(Grimace...) Due to budget limitations we can't replace them, but I was super inspired by nodirthere's oak cabinet re-do and have already been experimenting. (I scored an awesome DH who can do just about anything, plus my dad is a GC!) My original thought is to paint the cabinets a warm black with a *slightly* distressed finish, add a nicer molding along the top and a light rail along the bottom. Maybe some seeded glass panels in the cabinets flanking the microwave... Any recommendations here? I feel like we have enough light for this, and will be replacing the fluorescent box with recessed lights as well as adding undercabinet lighting.

Countertops need to go for sure...I am thinking a light, but warm colored granite with a subway tile backsplash. I have a copper KA stand mixer that is kitchen art to me and would love for that to be a star.

The appliances will of course be replaced with stainless.

We also have a wide, but not quite wide enough peninsula thing happening...

Our thoughts are either to shorten it to normal counter depth or extend it another few inches and get some stools. It's pretty close to our eat-in area, so I don't know if this is a necessary thing or will be too cluttered. (The chair on the edge is pulled out a bit-its not really that close.) We are also thinking about pendant lights over this area but I am concerned it will break up the space too much.

Any comments, suggestions, thoughts, etc. are truly welcome! Thanks for looking in!

Comments (9)