SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fuzzy_gw

drywall questions galore

fuzzy
17 years ago

Okay. We're about to make an offer on a 1916 Foursquare that has major wall issues-- all walls are basically wood slats covered by either (original and/or multiple layers of) wallpaper or 1960s paneling. With no plaster professional available in our small town, it looks like thin drywall is going to have to be installed.

I had the drywall company owner (80 years old!) come out and give me an estimate last week-- approximately $9,000 for 1790 square feet. Yikes. Since, I've (naturally) thought of a thousand questions that I should have asked. I'm hoping that any of you who have had to use drywall can tell me:

-Do the door/window/baseboard moldings have to be removed for drywall installation? I believe he said something about running caulk along the baseboards to join the drywall with the moldings, so I'm thinking those don't. But the doors and windows?

-What happens with all the electrical outlets? Will they need to be moved and fastened to the new drywall? Do the drywall guys do that, can we do it ourselves (is it just removing screws etc), or will we need an electrician? Some of the outlets are original to the house, so I'm a little worried about disturbing original wiring.

-The drywall installers should leave the walls ready for priming, right? And clean up their mess?

Okay, and now for the last question: I hate that we're going to be using drywall on this age of a house. I saw an episode of an HGTV show that had a technique for creating textured walls-- the woman teaching the technique said that it was used in set design when the look of an aged plaster wall was needed. It was pretty simple-- just combining paint 1:1 with Durabond, applying with a brush, and rolling with a foam stucco roller to texture. Has anybody ever used this or any other technique to disguise drywall? Do you think it would work?

...looking at this, it's obvious that I need to call the drywaller for more information. I'd still love to hear others' experiences and ideas, though. Thanks!

Comments (9)