SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kzarina17

I think I hit the jackpot, kind of....

kzarina17
18 years ago

I am so excited that I absolutely had to post my message and hope to receive some great wisdom, here is the situation..

I recently noticed that there was an old house a few towns over, very similar to mine that is abandoned. The house once belonged to my elementary school principal's grandma, more recently it housed a small local newspaper.

Now the house is going to either be razed or bulldozed down. (It's an old 1926 foursquare) I decided to go to the city zoning office and find the owner. It is owned by a bank out of Columbus, OH and the gal at zoning gave me the name of the banker that is overseeing the house's demise.

She told me that she called him and asked permission to remove the old cabinets and also the porch railings and he gave her the go ahead.

I am calling tomorrow and asking if I can remove some of the baseboards, flooring for patching, doors, heating vents and, get this, the same exact stairway that has been removed from out house.

My question is this..how difficult will it be to remove a stair rail and possibly a few of the steps?? I will just die if we cannot take this badboy out, I am almost willing to trespass and go to jail out of sheer desperation. ;)

Sadly, someone has literally trashed much of the place and has ripped out almost all of the lighting too. I would just love to salvage what I can and the house does hold sentimental value, as that is the town I grew up in and the last of the old homes around.

Any advice on gentle removal of the above is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dawn

Comments (6)