SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

baseball bats, toy swords, toy rifles

talley_sue_nyc
16 years ago

My DS likes weapons. Esp. swords, and light sabers. So, add in the baseball bats, and I've got lots of tall skinny items to store. They don't work on a shelf.

I got a tallish cardboard box to stand them in, sort of like an umbrella stand. But they get tangled, and I worry they're going to be broken.

So I got those wire cube units (square wire panels, you snap together at the corner). Got mine at Target, but here's what they look like if you don't know.

And I'm experimenting w/ cutting out some of the wires to make bigger holes (and will use my Dremel to smooth down the sharp edge that results).

So far, I can see that it's going to work. But I made some miscalculations about how much clearance around each weapon I need--the Jack Sparrow cutlass may fit in a single hole, but its handguard takes up a single hole's space all the way around it.

Some of them are skinny, some are square.

I was worried the wire panels would turn out not to be very sturdy once some of the wires were cut away, but it seems to be just fine.

Here's my early version:

Sword Storage

(in the back, you can see the cardboard box I was using)

I realized I don't *need* double-height, so I can eliminate the left part of it.

I think I can get away w/ a single square. Though that's still up in the air. As I expand the clearance areas, I may find that I really need 1.25 squares, in which case I can overlap them w/ cable ties, but will need to cut away more wires.

In my first version, in the pic, I left a "frame" of single squares all the way around. As you can see, that crowds all the other stuff into the center, and it's hard to get your hands about whatever it is you want.

I plan to use cable ties to install a second grid about 4 inches below the top one (w/ identical holes) to keep the swords from leaning too much.

This is really not a necessary project--I told DH, "This definitely falls into the 'leisure and entertainment' category."

But it's fun so far!

And, I need to figure out pistol storage, bcs there are several of those. They're on a shelf right now, but they get tangles and unseen. And, worst of all, they fall off.

(I need to get DS to agree to get rid of the "little boy" baseball bats.

Comments (6)