SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamatoad

Can we say something good about husbands??

mamatoad
14 years ago

When I read the posts about the irritating things our husbands do, I find myself wondering if "husband bashing" has just become a habit. It makes me cringe just as it does when I'm with a group of friends and they start talking about how irritating their husbands little habits are. Yep, mine has some habits that sort of drive me up the wall, but the good outweighs the bad by a long, long way! If I think about it for a while, I'll bet I can think of a few of MY habits that must irritate him, also! After 42 years of marriage, we are still speaking to each other and he is still my best friend. During that time, neither of us has hit the other, cursed, thrown things, belittled one another or been unfaithful or abusive. At the end of the day, I can go to sleep knowing that I am in a safe environment and I wake up in the morning to the smell of fresh coffee waiting for me.

Yeo, I am truly blessed and husband bashing is not a part of my life. I respect the opinions of others and I appreciate you letting me have my say. Bettye/AZ

Comments (45)

• carol_in_california
    14 years ago

DH brings in the newspapers, has coffee ready in the morning, does the dishes every night and is my biggest fan.
    I love his loyalty.

• roseluver
    14 years ago

Mine has got to be the most patient man in the world. BUT, bringing in the paper is the extent of his work in the home other than eating.

• Related Discussions

OK, I have to say something about all this meddling with mother n

Q

Comments (15)
    This year I planted 16 varieties of peppers, both sweet and hot. There are at least 2 plants of each. They have been in the ground or in pots since mid March when we had an early warm-up. Most of the plants flowered while still very small. At that point I decided to allow one of each variety go ahead and do it's thing, and then pinched the buds off all the rest, just once. In virtually every instance, the 'early bird' plants stayed small and only produced a couple or three peppers - so far. Almost all the other plants are bigger, in some cases much bigger and have many more peppers, though they are taking a month longer to ripen. A few show no difference in production or plant size. But you know what? I'm happy! I got the early ones "outta my system", and now have the masses to do with as I please until next year. The best of both worlds! PS For the first time California Wonder Bell peppers are producing the biggest, most beautiful bell peppers I've ever grown. I almost didn't even try them but they always show up first in the nurseries around here and I couldn't resist. I might even have to grow them from seed next year! :)
    ...See More

Anything GOOD to say about Ashely Furniture?

Q

Comments (15)
    We've sold Ashley for a long time. There are definitely worse brands out there...but there are some better ones, too. In leather furniture I am pretty sure that Ashley only has models in their higher quality Millenium label. We sell a ton of Ashley/Millenium, and our policy has always been to discontinue brands that cause us a great deal of service problems. Ashley is no worse in this area than other value brands. Buy the Ashley if you like it. Value Priced brands are what they say they are, but guess what, most higher end brands don't have a better manufacturer's warranty anyways! It's silly to say you can't get 10 years out of a particular brand off hand. It almost completely depends on how you use it. Keep it clean and the leather will last. Don't jump on it and the springs will be fine. Don't drop it and the frame will not break (also when moving value priced furniture, lift...don't drag). You can get a decent sofa at $800 in leather, much less than that would be cause for concern. We also carry Lane (avg $1000 sofa) and Leather Italia (avg $1300 sofa). Our high ends (Thomasville, Bernhardt) average $2000 and up. I've added a link to a good leather article for shoppers below. Here is a link that might be useful: 8 Simple Facts for Leather Buyers
    ...See More

Now we can do something about those loud TV ads.

Q

Comments (28)
    Sorry this hit a nerve with some of you. Yes there are more significant issues to worry about. I look at it this way. The industry is already regulated in that the commercial isn't supposed to be louder than the loudest part of the TV program. All they have to do is tone it down- to the average decibel level of the program. If they are already monitoring the decibel level it might not be a big deal to continue to monitor it at a different level. There was a suggestion made that all we need to do to avoid the loud ads is to purchase a DVR and fast forward or use the remote to turn the volume down. Personally I don't find it very practical to sit there with a remote in my hand trying to avoid the commercials. My parents have enough trouble turning the TV on let alone utilizing a DVR and I'm sure they are not alone. It seems we are assaulted by noise everywhere we go. I don't find it unreasonable to try and control some of that cacophony in my own home.
    ...See More

My husband says he can't put a light over my sink?

Q

Comments (7)
    Re-read the messages above. It is not necessary for him to "physically fit" into the area to make the connections. The connnections are made from below. If he can get into the attic, he can almost certainly perform the installation. Please forgive me for saying so, but it sounds to me as if you husband is not (yet) sufficiently knowledgable about electrical work to do this job. I recommend that he read Wiring Simplified (available at bookstores and the electrical department of Home Depot stores). That will help you and him decide whether he should tackle this job, or you should engage a professional instead.
    ...See More
  • pattico_gw
    14 years ago

Sometimes I bash my husband...but it's usually in a joking way. Sometimes he can be a grump....but I wouldn't trade him for anything....He has been special for 44 years now. I was lucky to meet him.....but I always tell him, he's the lucky on...LOL

• maryanntx
    14 years ago

If I say anything about Jammer, it has to be nice because he's such a great person.
    Sometimes when I meet my friends for breakfast they start talking about their DILs. I feel totally out of the conversation because I couldn't have a better DIL and they all agree with me. :o)

• wildchild
    14 years ago

Mine sorts his own laundry,helps clean (even toilets) if I ask and can do just about any repair or install needed.He can even sew and used to make the kid's Halloween costumes when they were small before I learned to sew. When I see how "useless" my friends DHs are in comparison I realize how lucky I am to have a "jack of many talents".

He also accepts me as I am,warts and all, and doesn't try to contain my independent spirit. He knows my "freedom" is what is most important to me and doesn't try to hold me back.

Kind of cancels out the negative stuff.

• OklaMoni
    14 years ago

Well, we are not "best friends", but we compliment ourselves pretty well.

Jerry goes to work, makes money, and I do the grunt work at home. That is, when I am home, and not out gallivanting around the world on my bicycle. :)

Moni

• patti43
    14 years ago

What a nice thought, Bettye! I'm happy to say good things about Harry. He has lots of physical problems but does as much as he can to help around here. What we can't do these days has to be hired out, but you don't know how happy you can be to have them still breathing until you almost lose them. He brings in the paper also, if he gets up before me, and cleans the kitchen every night (but I clean up as I go, so it isn't too much).

He's interesting to talk to--in fact we haven't stopped talking since the day me met! And he tells me he loves me every day--and and I do the same.

Sure he makes me mad sometimes--he's about the messiest man in the world and a hoarder, but I wouldn't trade him for Bill Gates or George Clooney. Hmmm, let me think abou---naw, I'll keep him (hopefully for a long time).

• nanny98
    14 years ago

OMG...I could write a book and sometimes I do IN MY HEAD. It is so very hard sometimes to accept his limitations, and that IS exactly what they are. As a homemaker and wife and companion to him for 55+ years, somehow, I expected my duties (that I took seriously) to have rubbed off on him....so today when I see that it has been a month that the kitchen floor has been swept...or beds changed, I really have to jerk my own chain and realize "that's is not near his radar screen" and find another way to live our life. He has risen to the occasion of my disability that has taken a toll on me for 10 years...in baby steps...and I am so grateful every day that he has stood by my side. When we spoil our men for so many years, we have to allow them the same amount of time for them to learn the ropes. I think about 55years ago, when I had no idea how to keep house, do laundry, fold towels....any of it and some of his skills then were far better than mine. So I keep it inside my head along with the long learning curve that I had to learn my skills. And, yes, he IS pretty wonderful. Nanny

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

I love and adore my DH, Tom, and I tell him so every day. Granted, he has some irritating habits, but so do I (probably more than him). He loves and cherishes me, is my biggest fam, dotes on me, is hard working, lives to make me happy and is just one of the nicest, kindest, most level-headed and honest men walking the face of the earth.
    I honestly don't know what I'd do without him....thanks, Bettye, for reminding us how fortunate we really are. When I wake up in the morning and before I go to sleep at night I say a 'thank you" to G-d for bringing him to me.

• mary_c_gw
    14 years ago

There is a ladies night wine tasting once a month in my neighborhood. It was a lovely night out the first 3 times, and then it degenerated into the husband-bashing vent night. I won't go back for that reason.

Now, my DH can be as irritating as all get-out on occasion, but there is no way I want to participate in that kind of night out. He is too important and valuable to me for his overall character and willing participation in our life together, than irritating for his few flaws.

• wanda_va
    14 years ago

I married my best friend, and we still love and respect each other. Thanks for the nice post, Bettye!

• stephanie_in_ga
    14 years ago

I'm with you, mamatoad. Yeah, he irritates me sometimes; I know I irritate him. You don't live with someone day in and day out without getting irritated once in a while. But even when I'm annoyed, I am not comfortable telling someone how terrible my husband is. I would feel ungrateful the moment it came out of my mouth. Even when I'm mad over some little thing, I let it pass. I would be bothered longer by saying something I regretted than by whatever he did to annoy me.

My DH can fix anything that plugs into the wall, take apart a computer and put it back together again- or explain to someone 1000 miles away over the phone how to take it apart and put it together again. He can make a computer do anything. I've seen him bring a crashed hard drive back to life. I've sort of come to take it for granted that no matter what happens to a computer, he will make it right again. Never lost anything with him around, even when lighting struck the house and shorted out a lot of electronics, he had us covered.

• juellie1962
    14 years ago

Mine can fix ANYTHING; has saved us tons of repairs costs over the years. He appreciates my cooking; he wouldn't complain whether we have grilled cheese or steak for dinner. He isn't one of those "picky eaters". He would give me the moon if he could.

• kacram
    14 years ago

he's the most honest person I've ever met. patient, caring, loving, and cute! lol

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

Well mine can't fix anything and in general he has little to no interest in doing anything around the home even though we both have busy, demanding careers. What offsets those limitations is the fact that he has believed in me when I didn't believe in myself and inspired me to do things I never thought I could do. He has a great sense of humor, likes to have fun and do interesting, adventurous things and brings that much needed element to my more practical perspective on life. He's a good person with good values - I saw that in how he treated his parents in their later years - something I really admired.

• sjarz
    14 years ago

Well I lost mine in 1998. He was the love of my life, had been married to him for 12 years. He was by no means perfect, but then neither was I or am I.
    We tried to greet each day with a smile and a grain of salt.
    I agree, I wouldn't enjoy any kind of husband bashing get together either.
    Suzan J

• tami_ohio
    14 years ago

Yes, mine can irritate me no end, but I probably do the same to him. He spoils me rotten and I love him to pieces!

Tami

• danihoney
    14 years ago

I figure as soon as I become a perfect person, then I might start expecting more from people, including my husband.
    He and I were coworkers that became great friends before we ever started dating. That respect we had for each other as individuals and friends has never left and has carried us through difficult times.
    I know ladies who complain about how their husbands don't do this or that and it drives me crazy. It also reminds me how great I have it.
    Neither one of us dote on the other, we just help each other. He does all of his own laundry from start to finish and will grab the kids every now and then also. I go to do his laundry and he says things like "You're my wife not my mother. I can do that." Or "I'm a big boy, I can do that." I usually say I have room and grab some of his stuff anyway. He doesn't offer to do my laundry though other than socks. He ruined one of my sweaters in the early years and that was it. Hahaha
    I've never given him an allowance like some do, and I've never had a list of things for him to do. Not once in 17 years. If something needs to be done, it just gets done.
    He's not perfect, he can be moody, but so can I.
    He kisses me goodbye every morning, he's really sweet to my mom and grandma, he makes a mean cup of coffee, and he laughs at my jokes. I couldn't have done any better.

• darrah
    14 years ago

I just got over the flu. My husband brought me 7-up, made sure I kept warm during the shivers, kept the house picked up. He's content eating leftovers or heating up a can of soup until I feel like cooking again.

We're pretty compatible in our likes and dislikes even though we disagree on certain topics. We have learned alot from each other, mainly how to keep a marriage going for the last 43 years.

• copanolady
    14 years ago

They kill spiders and take out the trash.

• marry
    14 years ago

I'm really lucky to have my husband. We've been through alot in the years that we have been together. I know that he loves me and I'm really glad that he does!

• marilyn_c
    14 years ago

My husband is one of the hardest working people I have ever known. He doesn't know the word "quit" and he is very upbeat and always positive. He is easy going, kind to animals, was an excellent father to our daughter...taking off work to go to any thing at school, like meet the teacher and on field trips. He is very supportive of me, and never complains about anything I do. I have never made any meal for him...even a plain old sandwich, that he hasn't complimented me and told me how good it was. He was especially kind to my mother, who was an extremely difficult person to deal with. He gives me all of his money and never complains about how I spend it. Always tells me I look nice. Good to sleep with and seldom snores. I've been married to him for 44 years...I wouldn't trade him for anyone, and I also get tired of husband or male bashing in general. I know a lot of women who aren't any bargain!

• hallngarden
    14 years ago

We have been married fifty years. All I can say is good things about my husband. He is the kindest , most caring, husband, father, father in law, and grandfather. Never had a reason to complain. Knew all these years that I am safe, had whatever we needed, and the best part is knowing that he is my very best friend in this world. When I look at his face, I still see that handsome young man that I married fifty years ago. Those kind and loving eyes still look at me, the same as he did then. Not sure what I did in life to deserve this man.

• pekemom
    14 years ago

Been together almost 40 years. Wouldn't trade him for anyone. Yes we argue, yell, name calling too, but we call it "venting" so it's okay. No physical abuse, no throwing things. I'm skeptical about couples who never argue, one is just giving in to the other. I tell him he's cute, he says good because I'm the only one that would say that! We are here for each other, I don't think anyone else would put up with either of us!

• Lindsey_CA
    14 years ago

We've been together for 29 years, and I wouldn't trade him for the world. He loves me without question or reservation. He will defend me to the death. He loves to surprise me - with trips he's planned, or gifts he gives me. He accepts me as I am and doesn't try to change me (well, it would be an exercise in futility, anyway). He is my heart.

• lydia1959
    14 years ago

I guess some bad must come with the good. Mine can be super annoying... but he's a good guy who will stop and help complete strangers who are in need. He does 90% of the yardwork, keeps the cars maintained, he'll help with the housecleaning when I ask. If I look like I am struggling with anything, he will take over the chore for me... not sure if he wants to take the burden off me or if he just thinks he can do it better. lol

• kathyg_in_mi
    14 years ago

39 years.
    Wouldn't want to be without hm.
    Well..........maybe some days!
    Kathy G in MI

• susanjf_gw
    14 years ago

we just celebrated our 40th on the 6th...like kathyg in mi this susan in mi is ditto, lol...

• sandy_in_ia
    14 years ago

I think I am more in love with Dean now than 29 years ago! He can and does everything. I lost my mother at a young age and I had a fear of that with the girls. I knew that they would be well taken care of by him if that would happen. One of the best things is that he eats and likes left-overs! =) And if I don't feel like cooking anything, he is happy to open a can of soup and call it good.

The bad thing? Our oldest, Caryn sees that dad can do everything, and I think she is waiting to find one just like him.......I keep telling her that he had to learn to do all those things, he didn't come that way! LOL

I always feel sorry for those that have to sit and bash their husbands...they must really lead a sad life.

• User
    14 years ago

My hubby and I have been together almost 40 years. I had been married before and after a really bad marriage I swore off ever getting married again. Then I met Jack. I met him in mid November and we married December 30 of the same year. He is my reason for waking up every day. He's retired and I still work part time. When he hears me pull into the driveway he's out the door and down the steps to see if there's anything he can carry for me. Sometimes he will come into the kitchen where I'm working and swing me around and give me a big old hug. Now that we're getting up in years I tell him I hope I pass away before he does because I can't imagine life without him. When I tell him that he replies that he probably wouldn't last a week with out me. There are little things he does that get on my nerves but just as I start to get irritated I stop and think about my sisters who have both lost their husbands. That's when I give him a hug and tell him how much I love him. We truly are soulmates and best friends.

• folkvictorian
    14 years ago

Oh, Grannytoo, what a gem you've got!

My husband and I have been married nearly 8 years. When our son was born, DH got up every night when the baby cried. He'd change the baby's diaper while I got settled in the living room and then he'd bring baby to me so I could nurse him. DH would then go back to bed and usually be back to sleep quickly. It was such a special time and I'm so grateful that we were a team! I brag about him every chance I get!

• ann_in_florida
    14 years ago

Although there are some things about my hubby that absolutely drive me up the wall, I know he can say the same about some of my habits. This is my second marriage and I must say that I am very fortunate to have had two men in my life that have loved me so much! My husband does so many little things for me that mean so very much. He's getting ready to have a knee replacement on Tuesday and will be unable to do a lot for the next few weeks. I have been thinking about all the little things he does for me that I will really miss!!! He's a really good guy and I love him very much!

• des_arc_ya_ya
    14 years ago

Okay, I'm in! LOL Twinkie and I celebrated #22 on Saturday. It was the third marriage for him and the second for me. We tell people that we are enough alike to make it easy and different enough to make it interesting! I had my eye on him for years and figured that anybody that looked like he did was probably a jerk. Wrong!

He truly loves me - says I'm the love of his life. Probably tells me everyday how beautiful I am and would rather spend time with me than any other human on earth.
    He has taken on (and in!) my kids, my brother, my parents, my friends and now all of our grandkids with an open, loving heart.

I've probably told you guys this story before, but bear with me...once at Christmas when one of our DGDs was little she looked around the crowded room of people watching the kids open presents and said, "Papaw, would you put my Barbie shoes on her?" There he sat in the floor, all 6'3, 260 pounds of him, with her getting in his lap, putting on Barbie's shoes.

I've told him that that one moment in time, no $$ involved, no assembly required (well, shoes!) made me fall for him all over again.

• User
    14 years ago

ya ya, I have always loved your Twinkie stories. I used to share stories here about the lurker (Jack). Occasionally I still get an email asking how the lurker is. LOL

• fran1523
    14 years ago

My husband died in March 2007 and I would give anything to have him back for just one day. Our relationship wasn't perfect, but we were together for 34 years. He was loyal, trustworthy, a great handy man, and he could make me laugh.

• mare_wbpa
    14 years ago

My husband and I were married (I was 21, he was 23) for 34 yrs when he died suddenly on Feb 8, 2003, he was 58. He couldn't fix much around the house, we had to get him a new vehicle every few yrs because he just destroyed them, and to be polite, wasn't too neat. With all of that, he was a still great husband, great Dad and a great provider and I'd give anything to have his messiness around the house again. Life was sooo much better with him it.

• debnfla8b
    14 years ago

I'll jump in too.
    David and I have been married 27 years come April 9th. The day he walked into my life was the best thing that ever happened to me. David is truly the nicest, sweetest, most compassionate person I have ever known. Not once have I ever heard a bad word for another human being come from his mouth. David accepts me for who I am, all my short comings and irritating ways and tells me every single day that he loves me. This man helped me take care of my homebound Mother without one single complaint.
    And as God as my witness, in the 30 years we have known one another we have NEVER had an argument, not a single one. And I am not someone to blindly obey "my man". We just get along extremely well and are so grateful to have one another.
    David is a computer wiz too. He can fix anything about them...he is a Behavior Analyst so I guess he can fix behaviors too...LOL I am blessed with having David as my husband and I know that.
    After seeing how lonely my Mother was after Daddy died 8 years ago, I made a mental note to never complain about David smacking sometimes when he eats again..hahaha

I get very uncomfortable around people that just fuss and gripe about how irritating their husbands are. It is hard to keep my mouth shut...I want to ask them if they would like it better if they were gone from their lives...I don't think the answer would be yes all the time.

I agree about being more in love today than 27 years ago...and when David walks into the room...he still takes my breath away.
    Lord have mercy I love that man.

Deb :o)))

• barb_from_pa
    14 years ago

My husband is WONDERFUL! We've been married 32 years and I can't imagine being without him. He works so hard and is such a good sport. Plus - he likes to cook! (He has soup in the crockpot today.) He's been a great dad and son-in-law, too. God blessed me with a great guy!

• mamatoad
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A big "THANK YOU" to all you wonderful women who responded with so many positives about those special men in your lives! You should see the big smile on my face!! I knew there had to be more who shared my feelings!! Hugs to each of you and to those wonderful husbands!! Bettye/AZ

• kacee2002
    14 years ago

I do things that annoy him and he does some that annoy me. We are two different people and when two different people live together in close quarters for 40+ years they are going to occasionally get on each others nerves.

That being said I can't imagine my life without him, love him dearly, trust him completely and believe him to be the absolute best husband, father and grandfather on the face of the earth.

And of course he feels the same about me!

• dollydolots
    14 years ago

I wouldn't trade by husband of 56 years, for all the rice in China.
    He has had his back broken and I took care of him all these years. He is now a diabetic and not well but takes
    time to help me as I have a huge hernia and cannot do anything that needs lifting or reached for. I would never
    live anywhere but with him. He is the sunshine of my life.
    Dolly

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

My Dh not only brings the paper in everymorning,he does all the cooking,especially dinner,washes most of the laundry,and i fold and put it away.He also does most of the grocery shopping.He's always been helpful,but has gotten more so since 2008 when i had to have 2 major surgeries,knee replacement,followed by the diagnosis of breast cancer,the surgery,chemo etc.

He lets me sleep in every morning if i need to and we don't have any appointments,as he knows i have trouble sleeping at night.

We're both retired,and have been married for 52 years come April.

Thank G-D for good DH's!!!
    Kathi

• veta
    14 years ago

I just so wish that I still had mine. He was a very kind, family oriented man.
    Veta

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

Thank 'you' mamatoad for starting this thread. It has been nice reading about all the sweet wonderful hubbys out there. Though I don't have a hubby, I 'do' have what I refer to as the 'worlds best boyfried'. He lives an hour away, and we see one another only on the weekends, and he has been my significant other for almost 30 years now. Our time together is always 'quality time' and we have never had a fight or argument in all these years. He accepts me, with all of my faults, as I do him, and we both respect the wishes of the other.

We've both lived alone for so long and been so independent that I doubt if being married would be a good thing for us. I have (kinda jokingly) told him however that after he retires, if he cares to move down here, I will have a nice guest house built for him. He laughs and tells me he would only want to live with me in the 'big house' (which is really quite small).

• maddie_in_ky
    14 years ago

I'm blessed to have a wonderful DH of 14 years. While we have our ocassional spats and grumbles, I've never met anyone else who could hold a candle to him, and I love every second I've had the privledge of being with him. He's my sweetie!