SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calabash_gw

Paint colour help for new small apartment, part 1

calabash
14 years ago

Do I need help. I'm moving from a large apartment with lots of light to a tiny one-bedroom retirement apartment where everything is painted white.

Living-room: Long and narrow (18 X 10). One narrow end is open to the tiny kitchen; the other has a large window and a glass balcony door, facing north. Floors are variegated parquet; ceilings are low (8 feet). I've got neutral furniture: a beige sofa, chair and ottoman (Ikea Ektorp) and a variety of pale to semi-pale wood furniture: TV credenza, computer desk, birch gateleg table. I'll need a couple of bookcases (they will hide the fridge from the living-room), which will most likely be IKEA Billy -- don't know what colour to choose. I'm being given a kilim area rug that has a white background with stylized flowers in pink, blue and green with a muted red border. Original art (framed pastels).

I'd like to paint the walls. Colour needs to be pale to keep the room from receding. I don't want beige or grey; I'd like something cheerful that will reflect light.

Any suggestions?

There are no privacy issues, so I won't need blinds on the window and door, but sheers or semi-sheers would help dress up that wall; what colour?

I've got to get rid of about half my furniture and pack; solving this colour dilemma would really ease my mind.

Ideas, suggestions -- help!

Marie

Comments (20)