SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Question for upholstery/slipcover/sewing people re quilted velvet

lkplatow
15 years ago

I have a sofa - it's a nice Lee Industries model that I bought off craigslist. Most of the sofa is an attractive neutral tan velvety fabric, but for some unknown reason, the original owner ordered the cushion covers made out of this purple floral hydrangea print. It's not altogether hideous, but the purple floral definitely isn't the look I was going for and it clashes badly with the other elements in the room. So I had planned to slipcover the floral seat cushions.

My sewing skills are not great but given that this is a $300 CL sofa and that I have little kids, dogs, and a cat, I don't want to spend a boatload having it professionally recovered right now. So I'm on the hook for doing this myself.

I saw an inspiration picture in the Pottery Barn Living Rooms book - unfortunately, I only had the book out from the library so I don't have the pic to show you. But it was of a leather sofa where the cushions had been stuffed inside one long cushion cover made from quilted velvet. I loved the look, so I bought some quilted velvet from ebay and I'm ready to get moving on this.

Now - first question. My current sofa has 2 back cushions and 2 seat cushions. The PB sofa was similar - I can't remember hwo many back cushions it had, but it definitely had more than one seat cushion. What I liked about the inspiration pic was that they had only sewn one long cushion cover and put all the cushions inside it, so you could kind of see the depression between the cushions through the slipcover. In the picture, I thought this gave a comfy casual look to it that sewing individual tight cushion covers wouldn't have had.

So my initial plan was to do the same -sew one long cushion cover that would cover both cushions. I'd even leave the current floral fabric on and just stuff them inside as is, so that if I ever sold the sofa in the future, the next owner would have the purple hydrangeas as an option again. I thought it would give a less-busy, more casual slouchy look to the seating area - I wouldn't have all that piping and seams going down the middle. And of course, given my limited sewing skills, the fact that I woudln't have to try to match up the diamond pattern across the two cushion covers is a big bonus!

But since the back cushions are 2 separate cushions with piping in the middle (and I'm not covering them since they're not the purple floral) I'm wondering if it is going to look stupid to have one slouchy long cushion cover on the seating area but two regular cushion covers on the back. If anyone has the gift of picturing this in their head, can you tell me what you think? (If you happen to have the PB Living Rooms book handy, you can even check out the inspiration pic!)

Second question: I want to make piping for around the edges of my new cushion. I want to do this out of the same quilted velvet fabric since the rest of the sofa already has contrasting piping fabric (not the purple floral - this is more of a tan plaid) on the cushions and I don't want to add yet another pattern. But the quilted velvet has a diamond stitching pattern and batting type stuff on the back and is really quit thick. I don't think I can make piping out of it as is because it's too thick and heavy. I'm pretty sure I could remove the batting and leave the diamond stiching and make the piping that way, but then both the piping and the cushions will have the diamond pattern and of course they won't line up. I'm guessing the stiching wouldn't be that noticable on the piping because it's such a small surface area, but it might just look like random spots and dents in the piping, which would be even worse. Alternatively, I could try picking out all the stitching from the piping fabric leaving it just smooth velvet, but that seems like a lot of hassle and the stiching may leave holes or something anyhow. So any suggestions on how to handle the piping would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH