SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petra_gw

Perimenopause/Menopause Question

petra_gw
15 years ago

I am 47 and I started to have scary symptoms several years ago. Palpitations, racing heart, just feeling yucky, irritability, panic attacks, etc. No hot flashes yet. I had a nuclear stress test, holter monitor, ekg's and echocardiogram and thankfully everything checked out fine, so they said it was probably hormonal.

I really don't want to take birth control pills or hormone replacements, but just about everyone I know who is my age or a bit older seems to be taking them. So I am wondering, have any of you ladies made it through peri/meno without taking hormones? And if so, was it really difficult?

Comments (43)

• azzalea
    15 years ago

Menopause is a normal, natural stage of life. I'm surprised so many of your friends are on hormones--with the information we have now, they are generally only used in the most extreme cases, due to the problems they can cause.

I'm 58--got through menopause without resorting to medication of any kind. Yes, it's an inconvenient, often uncomfortable time of life. But I truly believe that one's attitude makes a huge difference. If YOU believe it's a condition that needs to be treated, then you're going to have problems getting through it. But if you remember my first sentence? Well, it's not a piece of cake, but it's certainly doable.

And don't forget the upside to it. The side effect that a lot of women don't talk about. Your testosterone will also probably go out of whack. Hope you have someone interesting in your life when that happens. I can assure you that my husband enjoyed menopause with me--often several times a day, every day of the week, for a couple of years (we were exhausted, but smiling--LOL)! It's not all bad!

• Toni S
    15 years ago

Azzalea, my first thought was,,don't let this news out to my dh or he will start expecting things.!

On the other hand although I see your point on attitude, I'm quite certain menopause doesn't affect everyone like it did you. My dh would be in heaven too!
    Petra,,
    Dryness, mood swings, racing heart, there are Sooooo many things. Scary things. My doctors here, I wish I could say they care but they are family docs that treat each person in LESS than 10 min. They have patients every 10 mins, so add in phone calls, transcription tape, updates, whatever ,,,a person is lucky they have 5 mins with them. The big problem is finding someone who can say, I see menopause in your future, what's up? Then either recommend homeopathic treatment, exercise, there could be 100 things! So often docs give a pill and send patients off to figure what's happening all alone. A good doctor is worth their weight in gold.
    I'm not answering your question but I am in your boat. I'm guessing I'll soon be investing in a book on menopause. Tomorrow morning I will be getting a full blood test and asking questions Thursday. I want to get off hormones, so I'll be asking YOUR question then.

• Related Discussions

Perimenopause and depression - webchat

Q

Comments (1)
    Thanks so much for the heads up. I don't "chat" online, never learned anything about and don't know how, but would love to hear from any of you who participate. Mrs H
    ...See More

Can Peri-Menopause Reverse?

Q

Comments (3)
    Boy, can I relate to this post. I could of wrote this myself. I had an FSH of 29 two years ago, along with horrible symptoms of irregular heartbeats , extreme anxiety, Insomnia...on and on. The Doc said early Menopause, I had it retested last month, it was 4 !!!!! I had the same reaction as you... I am expecting the worst, as some of my symptoms have lessened , now I am thinking it will all start over full force. I had waited to re-test the FSH , and thought that maybe I was Post , as I have felt somewhat better with some of the symptoms... I had my Uterus removed 15 years ago, so no periods to help establish where I am in all this. I am confused as to what this all means just like you, You are the first one I have found to have the same issue, sorry for you, but a relief for me to have someone to talk to !! I am wondering if it has something to do with he Thyroid.. as I am Hypothyroid, with Hashimotos Disease. I was curious before, but now I see you have Thyroid issues also, wondering if there is a connection... the Thyroid is part of the Endocrine system like the Ovaries ... Anyways, I feel like I am rambling.. just know that you are not alone, and I hope you fee better knowing that someone else is dealing with the same craziness, I know I sure do. Peace, Rebecca
    ...See More

PeriMenopause

Q

Comments (1)
    Forty is young for such severe symptoms. Maybe try talking to someone at a health food store about herbal remedies and possibly drop a few pounds if you're overweight, since hormones and weight seem to be connected somehow. Good luck!
    ...See More

Best Menopause Question Ever (joke)

Q

Comments (5)
    When men have a mid-life crisis ... ... do they call it "womenopause"? o j
    ...See More
  • frostedc
    15 years ago

I didn't take hormone replacement, but I
    did take Effexor, for the anxiety and mood swings.
    My hot flashes seemed worst, if I had caffeine, or
    sweets.

• marilyn_c
    15 years ago

I took them for about 3 years...at my doctor's insistance. For a little while, they helped, but the progestrin made me want to kill someone. I guess I had PMS when I was young, but I don't remember it being that bad. I wanted to slap little old ladies in Walmart. I finally quit them, and glad I did. I didn't have much trouble with menopause. I didn't have bad periods after my daughter was born. Nothing like what I've heard other women go through.

Now that I've heard there is a link to cancer for those who take them, I am glad I quit. My mother, sister and all the women in my family for eons never took hormones and none of them ever had a hysterectomy, for that matter. They all lived to be old, old women...some of them as mean as a snake. :))

• okwriter
    15 years ago

I am 50 and not on drugs (unless you count the vitamins I started taking a week ago). Still have periods that are coming more frequently. I probably started peri 8-10 years ago...at least that's when my hormone migraines started. A few hot flashes so far but nothing untolerable.

I'm going to get through this meanopause *h%& without drugs if it's the last thing I do! The people around me, however, may not survive. :-)

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, hormones appear to have lots of side effects down the road, which is why I am so hesitant to take them. A friend who was on hormones had a blood clot which almost killed her and a couple other people I know have come down with breast cancer after being on BCP's for years. Of course, many docs say there isn't a link, but I am just not comfortable with it. Plus, you keep getting your period while you take hormones and who wants that!
    I know some people are taking bio-identicals, but it's still hormones, regardless.
    We women sure get to have fun, periods, pregnancy, menopause, it never ends. :o)

• OklaMoni
    15 years ago

No, not difficult, just challenging. :)

Still working on mine. 54 years old and counting...

Moni

• donna_loomis
    15 years ago

Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones. About 4 years ago my periods just stopped. I didn't have any for about a year. Then I had spotting about 3 times during the next year. For the last 2 years, nothing. I have had all of 2 hot flashes and no more murderous emotions than I had before, LOL. I have taken nothing. I hope this means that I am done, but I'm not sure.

• organic_donna
    15 years ago

I had those same symptoms and it turned out I had hyperthyroidism. It was diagnosed on this forum. The racing heart, extremely hot, fatigue, I assumed to be menopause, it wasn't. Have your thyroid checked.
    Donna

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

toni, good luck at the docs. I hope you will let us know what you found out.
    azzalea, I've heard the opposite!! Lots of women supposedly have no interest anymore.
    Frosted, my doc mentioned prescribing something for anxiety to control the panic attacks, but they've pretty much disappeared (knock wood) so I haven't had to take anything.
    Marilyn, that's what I've read/heard too, so I don't want to take anything unless I absolutely have to.
    Okwriter, I also get weird hormone migraine episodes, but they were diagnosed as "ocular migraines" because I get visual symptoms without headaches. Very freaky and scary.
    Oklamoni, I hope I am done before 54, eek. :)
    organic_donna, I had a blood panel done, and according to the doc, my thyroid is okay. I don't ever get extremely hot, I haven't even had any hot flashes yet. I am glad you found out what your problem was, I hope you feel better.
    donna_loomis, my husband keeps telling me maybe they'll just stop and I'll be done. :o) If everyone was like you, the hormone manufacturers would be out of business!

• Rudebekia
    15 years ago

52 and counting: no signs of peri- or menopause yet. I'd like to see it through with no drugs, too, unless absolutely necessary. To me it is just another natural stage of life. I saw the show with Oprah stressing hormone therapy and didn't like it--she really pushed it.

• lydia1959
    15 years ago

Like Organic Donna said - those are ALL signs of hyperthyroidism. Do you have a copy of your bloodwork to see if they checked your thyroid antibodies??? If not, ask to have them tested. Most doctors will only check the tsh, but in many people (including me) that and other thyroid hormones look perfectly fine - but the antibodies are way off.

Other symptoms which you may or may not have would be excess hunger, insomnia, maybe weight loss and dry eyes.

• barbara3
    15 years ago

No meds for me. The risks outweighed the benefits in my mind. My doctor and I discussed it but I decided that it wasn't for me and she was OK with that.

I think I was fortunate with my menopause. I remember my mother and her friends going through hot flashes and mood swings, even though I wasn't quite sure what was going on - all I knew was that Mom was in a really bad mood for a couple of years! I don't think mine were (are) as severe. My "power surges" started at my toes and worked their way up and out through the top of my head. They lasted 5 minutes or so. I still have them but only on the rare occasion.

I never did have night sweats to any great extent. I have friends who have had to get up and change night gowns and bed clothes.

Menopause is a natural phase of life for we females - lucky us! We know so much more about it than previous generations and it is discussed quite openly, especially with other women. It helps us through it when we have our own support system in our friends and there is not the same fear of the unknown that our mothers and grandmothers had. For them life was pretty well over, they were considered old women, when menopause happened. We are more enlightened and knowledgeable in our generation.

• wifetojoeiii
    15 years ago

I am 48, no symptoms yet; very regular periods & my FORMER doctor - a male - suggested that when I started having any symptoms at all I could either have a hysterectomy or go on hormones. I now have another doctor - a female, who recommends no hormones due to the link to cancer.

My mother went through menopause with no hormones & I will do the same. I have cut way back on red meat & dairy (hormones amy be added to both & that may be why younger girls look so developed??)& fortunately veggies & fruits are a way of life for us. I have read that the type of diet that is bad for your cholesterol, blood pressure & heart also is bad for menopause symptoms.

Good luck.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lydia, the test I had was a TH-something, I don't know if they checked any antibodies, I think they just checked the levels. I don't sweat, I am not heat intolerant, and I haven't lost any weight, so I don't think it's a thyroid problem.
    Marita, I didn't see that show, did they also talk about the dangers of hormones?
    Barbara, I remember my mother being pretty moody off and on when she was in her early 50's. I wish I could ask her about all this, but she died 10 years ago.
    hosta, a hysterectomy for menopause symptoms?? I am glad you changed docs!!

• wildchild
    15 years ago

I think Azzalea said it very well.

I would add that knowledge is empowering. The better you education yourself about menopause and look at it as just another stage of life's journey the easier it will go.

Menopause is not an illness anymore than childbirth is not an illness. Unfortunately our society wants a quick medical fix for every little discomfort.

Women in many other cultures do not experience the menopause as a crisis demanding medical intervention. Many of them simply do not suffer the physical and emotional symptoms that women in the West are programmed to accept as inevitable.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wildchild, I agree. I read an article a while back that women in Asian cultures have a much easier time with menopause, supposedly because they consume a lot of soy products. Hosta is probably right about diet playing a big part in how uncomfortable menopause becomes.

• alisande
    15 years ago

I reminded myself that my grandmother got through it just fine before the drug companies started pushing HRT.

I took hawthorn and motherwort from the health food store over quite a long period of time, and that helped a lot. Hawthorn regulates your heartbeat, but you have to take it regularly before it makes a difference.

At one time we had a tofu business, so I ate a lot of soyfoods. I think that probably helped. I gave up sugar, and I'm sure that helped, too.

I finished with menopause 14 years ago.

Susan

• sjerin
    15 years ago

Careful on the soy products. Organic Donna posted a very informative article on soy and Asians' consumption of it, which surprised me.

OD-- can you post it again?

• drewsmaga
    15 years ago

From what I've heard/read other women go through, I was really lucky with my Perimenopause/Menopause. At the 1st sign (irregular periods) I did a LOT of reading and started taking Black Cohosh twice a day. The worst problem/s I ever had was a few night sweats over the next 5-6 yrs. I'd read that a lot of women get relief with Evening Primrose. There are other herbs that women swear by; try something & if it doesn't work for you, try something else. Maybe I was just blessed with good genes for the "change?" I really dont' know, b/c my Mother died @ 38 & I SURELY wasn't gonna ask Russian immigrant Grandmother about what she went through! Pat

• jel48
    15 years ago

"No, not difficult, just challenging. :)

Still working on mine. 54 years old and counting...."

Just like Moni. Only I won't be 54 on Friday this week. I've been mensruating since I was 10 and I'll be glad to see the last of it :-)

Petra, I wanted to mention that I had heard palpatations (I guess that's what you call it - anyway ever so often, maybe 3-4 times a day, my heard would just race) a couple of years ago. I did some research online and decided to cut way back (almost totally) on caffeine before getting too worried about it. The problem went away. If you drink caffeinated beverages very often, it might be something to try before marking that one down to perimenopause.

• samkaren
    15 years ago

Petra
    I am 47 too. I started about 3 years ago with the perimenopause. I have been without a period for 1 year and 7 months. My symptoms are hot flashes and night sweats only. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones...no mood swings, crying fits etc. I refuse to take any hormones because of the effects it can have on a woman. I'm cruising through this with no problems.

SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• missindia2020
    15 years ago

I'm glad you asked about this, Petra! I'm 49 1/2 and started with some symptoms of perimenopause. I don't want to do drugs if I can keep from it. I told my DH to please read something on it because he doesn't understand how I can suddenly be hot. (usually I'm cold) - men are soooo lucky...

• JennaVaNowSC
    15 years ago

Well ladies, I am probably the OLDEST one on the forum that still has periods, although I have skipped a month or two, mostly they are regular, and heavy. grrr. . I will be 59 in a couple of months.... Last year I had horrible night sweats, and hot flashes all day long.... abruptly stopped in November... and not another hot flash OR night sweat until January. Now they have escalated and the hot flashes are getting as bad, and as constant, as last year.... I cannot take HRT due to having a stroke, but I went out and bought Black Cohosh last week. My obgyn recommended it. So far, nothing, but i guess it has to get into your system?
    I really thought I would be through all this by now :(

petra... I agree with the others... go ahead and get your thyroid checked.

June

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alisande, I am familiar with Hawthorn, but not with Motherwort. I'll check into that, thanks for mentioning.
    sjerin, I did read that soy can cause thyroid problems in some people, so I haven't taken any except for the occasional glass of soy chocolate milk.
    Drews, Black Cohosh is supposed to be a good one. I think if people gave natural remedies a chance they might have good results, but most want an instant fix.
    Jel, when this first started I stopped drinking coffee and tea and even cut out chocolate, but it did not make a difference. I've found magnesium to be very helpful, I take 200 mg twice daily.
    SamKaren, I have not skipped a period yet. They are a little closer together and finally got lighter (before, I had the periods from hell), but still like clockwork. Maybe I'll be lucky like Donna and they'll just stop. :o)
    MissIndia, I think men have menopause too!! But they just get grumpy and grouchy and buy a sports car. :o)

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

My period stopped when I had a uterine fibroid embolization when I was 49 about three years ago. I've had no problems really so have taken no HRT. The only thing I've noticed is that I've generally dried up and was diagnosed with high blood pressure and high cholesterol within two years. Not sure if the latter were expedited by menopause or more a matter of heredity. It is really nice not having periods any more and I feel really fortunate that I haven't had horrible menopause symptoms. I think DH feels fortunate too - as he is hearing his friends describe what is going on at their house.

• Jasdip
    15 years ago

I'm really glad this thread is here. I'm 52 but have had peri-for about 5 years. I get hot then get real cold. Haven't had any serious nite sweats though. I was wondering about the period thing. Some months I don't have one at all, and this month just a few spots. I find that frustrating....never sure when it's coming or how bad it's going to be. Waste of money on mini-pads, with just a few spots. lol

My mom had uterine cancer when she was in her 30's and had a hysterectomy. She's been on hormone pills ever since. She's been asking me if I'm going to see about taking them, because I get hot flashes. I'm irritable too, mostly at DH.

I'm thinking I'll just ride it out like so many others have done. It's too bad the periods can't just stop once and for all, like Karen. Bully for you, girl!! Fist pumping in the air...

• sheesh
    15 years ago

I'm also one of the lucky ones. Had about a year of irregular periods, some mild temperature regulation difficulties, then got my last period when I was a couple months shy of 58. No drugs or BC pills.

Except when I was pregnant, I had had my period every fourth Wednesday since I was 11. I wonder how much I spent on supplies over all those years; I had very heavy periods.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

June, wow, that is a bit late to still have your periods! I hope you'll be done with them soon!! Black Cohosh does take a while to work from what I've read, you'll probably have to take it for at least a month to see any benefits.

Gibby, I thought I was going to have to have an embolization done, I had the periods from he!! and even got anemic. But they've finally slowed way down, to where I can function normally.

Jasdip, from what I've learned, once they spot and skip, you are close to being rid of them for good! Just hang in there.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sherrmann, you had periods for 46 years?! YIKES! I had my first period at 14, so 33 years as of now. That's plenty for me, but they won't go away yet. :o)

• Jasdip
    15 years ago

Re: periods and products. A couple years ago I discovered the DivaCup as device, vs tampons and pads. It's the most wonderful thing ever!! I stopped using tampons about 10 years ago...I was getting headaches and when I switched to pads, they stopped.

But the DivaCup is wonderful. Just my 2cents worth for those who still have their periods. But then again, they probably won't be reading this thread! LOLOL

• jannie
    15 years ago

At 48, I was on track, seeing my gyno regularly. I was taking Loestrin birth control pills, and the plan was to switch to hormone replacement as soon as I had signs of menopause. Then-BOOM- in 2001 I had a stroke. I was taken off ALL artificial hormones. I had fibroids for several years before that, with excessive menstrual bleeding and clots. Well, about two years ago, when I was 54, the periods just stopped. I had two brief periods of spotting, but never got another period. My daughters have pads and tampons I could use "just in case" but it looks like I won't be needing that stuff anymore. And I'm still waiting to get a Hot Flash because I'm always cold! At least that's my story!

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jannie, do the docs think BCP's had anything to do with your stroke? I've known several people who developed blood clots after being on BCP's for a while.
    Jasdip, I still have my period and I was wondering about the Diva Cup!! Somehow I haven't been able to bring myself to try it out, it seems kinda gross. But tampons can't be healthy either, many contain bleach and other chemicals.

• sheesh
    15 years ago

I had toxic shock syndrome from tampons way back in the 70s, when they were just figuring it out. Awful stuff. I think I'd try the diva cup if I still needed it. My dtrs all use tampons.

• Jasdip
    15 years ago

Petra,
    I used to be a welder in a factory and it was always awkward having to inconspicuously get a tampon or pad from my stash in my cabinet and tuck it in the sleeve of my coat, so my male partner wouldn't see.
    I'm sure he wouldn't care, but it was a personal thing.

If I used the Diva Cup then, it would have made my life so much better!!! Can be gross emptying it, but there's nothing pretty about periods, no matter what method a person uses. AND no smell. That's what I like!

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, that would be awkward! I used to do tech support and when I had my periods, I had to take more breaks than normal. One time my boss inquired why I was taking so many breaks and I got as far as saying "monthly problems", upon which he turned green, hastily told me to take as many breaks as needed, and ran off. :o)

• Jasdip
    15 years ago

LOLOL
    Good for you. If men question us, might as well tell them outright..

• JennaVaNowSC
    15 years ago

Jannie and Petra... I was 29 when I had a stroke, therefore no artificial stuff for me either. and docs back then thought the BC pills had something to do with it. I am going to ask about the bioidentical hormones when I go in for my next checkup.
    I know the Cohosh takes awhile to start working, it is worth a try.
    Hang in there everyone!

June

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

June, I am sorry! That is so young to have a stroke. BCP's have so many side effects, it's scary to read the insert warnings.
    Jasdip, sometimes it's convenient to have a male boss. :o)

• gardenspice
    15 years ago

Did you get a blood test for both thyroid and Hormone levels?
    It sounds as if they did a lot complicated testing, but the blood tests are simple and conclusive. I'm surprised they did not start there.

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gardenspice, the doc told me hormone levels wouldn't be conclusive because I still get my periods regularly? I am kind of skeptical about that, but he usually knows his stuff, so he is probably right.

The thyroid test was in conjunction with my annual blood tests and he said all of those were normal, except for anemia. For the anemia, he sent me to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy to rule out anything sinister going on.

I believe he ordered the cardiology tests because my father had his first heart attack at age 51, and died of his third age 58. I am glad I was checked because those palps scared the heck out of me. It's easier to deal with them now that I know they are nothing to worry about.

• organic_donna
    15 years ago

I was asked to post the website I found about soy products. There are so many to choose from, I posted the first one that came up.
    The thyroid test you need to get is called "Free T-3 and Free T-4". You could also be suffering from adrenal fatigue.
    Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Soy and thyroid

• petra_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Donna, I am not sure what test he had done, but he told me my thyroid is fine. Haven't heard about adrenal fatigue, I'll have to read up on that. Thanks for mentioning it.