SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cinnamonsworld_gw

Ideas how to sell house contents in another state? Can go there.

cinnamonsworld
16 years ago

I inherited my mom's place in a mid-sized city all the way across the country from where I live.

Does anyone have creative ideas on how to efficiently sell furniture and the rest of a house's contents when you don't want to use a professional estate-sale company but can't be there for a really extended period of time?

I have about 1 week that I can be there in Sept. and then could probably take the whole month of November to be there.

(One thought was to take photos and notes during my weeklong Sept. visit, and list some larger items on Craig's List or eBay to coincide with my return in November, with garage sales planned then too.)

----------------

EXTRA CREDIT:

To add to the logistical delights, I will need to move at least some items that I want to keep across the country somehow. Because that's likely to involve a mix of just a few smaller furniture items, and china, pans, sewing machine, etc., I need to get a trustworthy professional small-load moving company arrangement or somehow justify the rental of a truck and a drive cross-country (which doesn't really sound like a time-efficient solution however).

One option depending on cost, to make the house vacant, would be to sell as much furniture as I could (hopefully all) and then just move the rest of the contents (smaller items that I want to keep as well as smaller items that I'd ultimately sell) back home to where I live.

We're not talking antiques or very $$$ items, but some nice things that I would want to seek a respectable price for if selling.

Comments (14)