SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mach57_gw

Is this plaster ceiling too far gone to save?

Mach57
10 years ago

Hey Folks,

We just pulled down the previous-owners' acoustic tile ceiling (don't worry, asbestos test came back clean before we started work!), and found the lovely sight you see here. To be honest, it's pretty much what I was expecting, although there's a 2-3" sag by the chimney that's a bit concerning... wonder if there's a bit of rot there from old leaks? As far as it looks, there's water damage from every single joist running across (24" centers?), which is a bit odd. The plaster near the large cracks has definitely separated from the lath, and is being supported purely by the stringers.

As far as new water damage, the tiles were all clean, and the wood stringers are good too, so I think the ingress of water has been dealt with already (this area is under a flat roof that multiple roofers have said is still in good condition). As far as I can tell there isn't insulation above the plaster, but I'm not sure without ripping some of it down.

So my options are:
1. Get a plasterer to come in and try to fix it. We'll have one in soon anyway because the walls need to be skim coated (they were wallpapered right over the brown coat!)
2. Fur out the stringers to try and make things level, then hang new blueboard or drywall right over the plaster ceiling and skim coat.
3. Take the whole ceiling down, plaster+lath both, repair any joist damage, insulate, install recessed lighting, fur to level, and drywall over the whole shebang.

I'm thinking option 3 is the "right" way to go, and the added insulation will certainly be a welcome addition. Note that we're not going for a historic renovation here, more a modernization/updating while trying to preserve the original charm of the house, so I'm not worried that drywall "doesn't belong" in an old house, as long as it looks nice and holds up!

Thoughts?

This post was edited by Mach57 on Sun, Aug 4, 13 at 1:56

Comments (6)