SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
turbo_tpl

Virginia forests - too far gone??

turbo_tpl
16 years ago

This is a time of year I get really depressed. After industrially pulling garlic mustard and spraying tree-of-heaven out of my wooded six acres for four years, I now see the previously GM-carpeted forest floor now coated with a carpet of different invasives. Instead of pulling garlic mustard, I can pull out wild garlic (leaving six broken-off bulblets in the ground for each one successfully I pull out), japanese honeysuckle (each vine about 9000 feet long running under the leaves on the forest floor), and wine raspberry (filling my hands with invisible little red thorns). Or, I can just sit back enjoy the unbroken verdant expanse of unpullable chickweed (the only solution to which is to bomb the entire forest with Roundup from an air tanker for about ten years straight, and start over).

I seriously am beginning to think we just need to store seeds of the native forest forbs in a cave somewhere, so we can grow them in greenhouses for people to go look at. Because I think they are as dead as a doorknob.

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but I really think we've done one heck of a number on eastern forests. There may be some slight hope for biological control, but that seems to be an insignificantly low priority (particularly relative to nurseries bringing in new awful plants to get away from us).

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider