SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rrschmitz

Suggestions for more counter space (peninsula, base cabinet, etc)

rrschmitz
13 years ago

Hi Everyone, I've long enjoyed this forum, and this is my first post, so be kind :)

I recently did a little remodeling project in the kitchen to allow for an additional counter space, but I need some advice. Right now I just have too many ideas running through my head, and I've always had troubles just making decisions.

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}From kitchen

So if you look at the image provided, there is a red box in the lower middle where there used to be a drain pipe, with a wall extended out 1x1.5 ft, making that wall pretty much unusable for anything. I rerouted that pipe and now the wall is flat again, leaving a 3ft stretch.

My question is how could I add both prep space and seating room for when there are guests?

My original thought was build something like this kitchen peninsula found here http://www.handymanclub.com/projects/articletype/articleview/articleid/5297/piece-of-cake-kitchen-plans.

with the short edge against the wall.

My wife felt that it stuck into the room to far, so we tried turning it long edge against the wall(which would have to be shortened) and she like that a lot better, but I think that limits us to seating or prep, but you couldn't do both.

Then I thought what if it was movable, so you could leave it against the wall long ways when no ones there, for prep, then pull it out to the middle of the room like an island when theres guests that could sit against the wall.(I think the room is too small for a permanent island)

And with that thought I went farther and thought rather than have it open on both sides, what if I used a bookshelf, or wall cabinet on a base, and had a 10-12" overhang, so that it would look like a normal base cabinet, but then when you pull it out, tada! seating by the wall.

OK, like I said, I'm awful at decisions, and I keep thinking of things. I need HELP!!!

What do you think I should do?

Ryan

Comments (14)