SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jiggreen

Inside my summer kitchen.......(lots of pics)

jiggreen
13 years ago

The walls inside my summer kitchen are in good shape...structurally speaking. But...there are layers and layers of paint, peeling wallpaper, newspaper (from 1912!!) on the walls, differing layers and levels of peeling. At first I looked at it and thought.."omg what a mess", but now I look at it and think..."wow, people pay a LOT of money to get fake finishes like this, and here I have the real thing!"

So, what I'm thinking is to leave the top half of wall alone...above the chair rail, and paint the bottom half of wall and window moldings. Would that look stupid? I hate to destroy years and years of history (especially the areas where they wallpapered with "The Practical Farmer" from Feb 1912!) I want it to look clean though...clean, but interesting if that makes sense. Also, how would you treat the top half of the wall if it were yours and you were leaving the finish intact? Would you clear coat it with something? Would you treat it like decoupage? And any suggestions for color for the bottom half? I was thinking brownish red, or perhaps a dark taupe color...my mom is leaning towards white (I'm not a big white fan, I find it too stark...perhaps I'd agree to a creamy warm white though).

Here are some photos..... (but here are a few details first!)

The greenish ceiling will be removed to expose the beams and the bottom of the upstairs flooring. Those two metal support beams are coming out..they really aren't supporting anything, that beam does not connect into the walls. The beam will be replaced and proper supports put in. I wish the original fireplace was still there, but it was replaced at some point in time with a chimney for a wood stove. We are going to basically just clean it up and leave the chimney alone...I like the worn look of it.I'm hoping we are able to remove the concrete around the base of it though (without damaging the bricks that are under there) I haven't decided what to do about the cistern that is in there...I might leave it. There are quite a few cisterns on the property...the old-timers who lived there for 60 years caught every drop of rainwater coming off the roofs. (and they hand washed their laundry with the water..even into their 90's!)

Oh, and the ultimate plan for the 1st floor of the summer kitchen is going to be a family room (but really rustic and primitive)...in the meantime, after it is cleaned and painted, (but before I invest big money into it) it will be a "tween" hangout space.

Whew...now that I'm done with my mini novella..here are the pictures..............

Comments (8)