SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sonaliagrawal_gw

Need help with this weird corner in my kitchen.. PICS inside.

sonaliagrawal
14 years ago

I had posted this question in the Home Decor forum about a month ago and was advised to post it on the Kitchens board, but never got to doing that.. So here I am again :)

So here is my kitchen..

And here is the view of the "weird corner" that I need help with:

A closer view of the window casings:

The story goes (as we are told by our neighbors) that the original entrance to the house was from this place, and you would have walked directly into the kitchen. Some owners before us (the house is about 50 yrs old, which is typical age in my area) changed that to make the entrance from outside of the kitchen, and of course never fixed up the cabinets in this area. It is an open floor plan and now there are two kitchen entrances - one from the foyer side (where I am taking the first photo from) and the other from the living room / dining room great room area.

I have some old barstools hanging out in that area just to fill that space up. I do also have a trash can in that area which I can easily move to under the sink or somewhere else.

There are a few projects that I am hoping to take on in the kitchen in the near future (read: summer) just to give you an idea of the vision for the kitchen:

1- I will be staining my wood paneled ceiling and painting the beams that run cross wise just like in my inspiration pic here:

2- I will be painting the perimeter cabinets a creamy white, including the crown molding and the trim of the windows / window casings

3 - I will be painting the island cabinets an espresso-ish color

4- Will then install a backsplash - thinking a light brown or dark brown shiny glass mosaic like:

or
with some stainless steel pieces splashed in between.

QUESTION that I have for you lovely Kitchen forum people :

What ideas might you have for this weird corner in my kitchen? I'd love to hear any and all options.

Comments (9)