SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
navi_jen

Vintage lighting rules of thumb

navi_jen
9 years ago

I started a thread over on Renovations before I remembered this gem of a board..so let me 're-introduce' myself.

I have a small (950 sq ft, 2bd, 1ba) c. 1926 farmhouse/bungalow mutt outside of Boston. I am starting on what will likely be a 2 phased project...Phase 1 all 'internals, kitchen and bath total gut renovation (due to PO animal smell & mold). Phase 2 likely a period sensitive 2 story addition with a garage, family room and master bedroom.

I met with the architect yesterday to go thru my 'requirements' list and he's going to come back in a week or so with the first round of conceptual ideas.

Over the weekend, I'm on a ridiculous jaunt to see and pay for my 'new' OKM stove (c 1954 6 burner, double oven original family beauty)...so I have lots of time for research. I have a pretty good handle on kitchen appliances, I think, and have started on lighting.

So, I am pretty sure 100% of the lighting in my house is not original. Since they are rewiring the whole house, I'd like to take this opportunity to get all the fixtures replaced. Thrifty old house lover gal that I am, I'm all about the architectural salvage places...then I will take them to a little old guy locally that does small appliance appliance repair and get the fixtures rewired.

So my question to this group is...are there general 'rules of thumb' when thinking about choosing the right light fixtures? This is the first time I've really looked at lighting (as my c. 1900 condo had 95% of the original, very simple lighting). I know I shouldn't have a chandelier in the bedroom, but other than that, are their other maxims I should consider? With the exception of the kitchen (where I know we'll have to think thru a lighting plan) I am sorta just going off what is period appropriate (20s-30s) and what appeals to me.

What say you, wise maven of Gardenweb?

Thanks in advance, as always

PS...Couple that caught my eye....

Comments (6)