Love the song, don't like the herbs -- substitution?
16 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (39)
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
Related Discussions
Want to have herb/veggies but don't have much sun
Comments (4)Thank you PV for your post all all great tips:) My balcony is facing north and there is a bit of sunlight in the front of in usually by noon. Then its all shade for the rest of the day...Lemon trees seem to be doing fine so this will be an experiment with herbs. I didn't know about carrots that they will not grow without full sunlight (too bad was excited for some sweet young carrots) but i will look into lettuce! Your basil is amazing. what kind of basil do you have? i bought seeds of sweet basil but saw some other kinds and had a little bit dilemma of which one to choose so went with sweet one. I like growing from seeds - more fun to watch and more satisfaction than buying a grown plant. Does growing broccoli or cauliflower require a big container? I might be interested in that but I don't have room for a big container on my balcony. Fortunately I am the only person who will be using herbs for cooking and veggies (if that works out for me) so I don't need a lot. I guess just a bit of everything that I like. I still want to get some dill seeds. I bought 2 new containers - one smaller one medium and will have to figure out what to plant there.... Thanks for tips on plants and flowers! i am interested more in once that will live longer than one season... and that will add some color to the balcony. unfortunately its more of a concrete balcony and I don''t have any railings to use for attaching a windowbox. SO I am left with whatever pots/containers I put on the floor i guess. I am excited to expand flowers/plants on my patio. It's probably not he best time of the year for it -fall - but in I live in San Diego so another 2 months should still be quite warm before it's around 45-50 degrees in the winter. I also attached below pictures of how the balcony looks like and other ones in the building (it wasn't a sunny day so actually it looks a bit more gray than usually): Magda...See MoreHerbs Pests Don't Like ?
Comments (6)Hi Marty, I have to say its the one thing that I have not had any problems with - at least so far. I have oregano, rosemary, tarragon, sage, thyme and chives growing, and I plant basil every year. So far, the varmints have never touched them. I started up a small rock garden on a hill last year and planted some lemon thyme - it's huge by now, and nothing has ever touched it. Now bugs are a different matter, especially with the basil - something really likes that plant a lot. I have heard that deer tend to avoid plants with scented leaves, but as has already been mentioned, they will eat just about anything if they are hungry emough. Maybe that's not as much a problem with the herbs in summer, when the deer have way too many other options :-) like my phlox ! Philomena...See MoreHelp I can't get rid of my lambs ear and I really don't like it.
Comments (18)I figure I could add something years later since other people added comments a year later. I moved into a rental house in Boulder, CO that had very well done perennial beds around the time this original post was written. It's been neglected for 7 or 8 years or so, especially the last 3 years. I can tell from Google maps the last year the lambs really took out for the rest of the beds and even the yard. I've been digging, pulling and now have covered an entire bed with clear plastic to kill the seeds before I'll consider planting there. The roots have formed an impenetrable mass and are sometimes thicker than my thumb. They have smaller roots finding them all together. I think if I were building a prairie Sod house I would be thrilled to find these. I'm constantly facing masses of sprouts and churning them over with hopes of killing most of them. We live in a Bee Safe neighborhood, and I don't think Round Up would have helped much anyway. I put an ad on craigslist and I've had many people haul garbage bags of plants away but eventually I got tired of answering the text-I think I had probably 50 people take A wavering amounts of these plants. I've never had them spread before but I stay on top of them, possibly since I use them in flower arrangements or pull them out as soon as they stray out of their designated area. I've discovered I now despise them and I don't think I'll ever let them grow again. I see them downwind from our yard and I'm tempted to go pull them now to spare them future agony- especially since it's likely the seeds came from here in the first place....See MoreUses for Bread Loaf You Don't Like?
Comments (16)You didn't say exactly what it was that you didn't like about the bread, and that would affect what you could use it for or whether you should just throw it out. You could possibly use it for French Toast and adjust the batter to compensate for the off flavor. If the bread is too sour, add more sugar to the batter or just serve more syrup with them. Here's my recipe: Lars' French Toast Ingredients: 2 large eggs 2/3 cup water 1 tsp Vodka 2 Tbsp oat flour 2 Tbsp unbleached wheat flour 1/8 tsp salt 1/4 tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp baking powder 4 pieces sliced bread* butter, for frying Maple syrup Directions: Beat eggs in a small bowl, add water and Vodka and stir to combine. Mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl, and add wet ingredients. Pour all but about 2 tbsp of this mixture into a low (square, if possible) bowl for dipping the bread. Have cast iron skillet on a burner at medium heat. Dip one slice of bread into batter and allow it to absorb as much of the mixture as possible. Add 1 tsp butter (more or less) to the skillet, and then slide the bread onto the skillet using a pancake turner. Cook for 2 minutes on each side, and remove to a 220 degree oven to keep warm. Repeat the process until all four pieces have been cooked. For the last piece of bread, it will be easier to pour the remaining batter on top of the bread, to let it absorb. This is in case the bread is falling apart and does not want to stay in shape. Serve with real maple syrup. Serves two. *It is best to use bread that is slightly sweet (or Challah) and that has some spice, such as cinnamon, already added to it. If using plain bread, you may want to add a bit of cinnamon and sugar to the batter. Lars...See More- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

GARDENING GUIDES9 Fresh Herbs for Crowd-Pleasing Thanksgiving Dishes
Pluck these herbs from a windowsill pot or a garden for a Thanksgiving meal that sings with fresh flavor
Full Story
HERBSHerb Garden Essentials: How to Grow Chives
This decorative and delicately flavored herb from the onion family is easy to grow indoors and out
Full Story
EDIBLE GARDENSHerb Garden Essentials: Grow Your Own Oregano and Marjoram
Say 'buon giorno' to classic Italian herbs you can grow just as easily in pots as in the summer garden
Full Story
EDIBLE GARDENS8 Surefire Vegetables and Herbs for Beginning Gardeners
Learn the edible plants that are popular and easy to grow in a backyard or container garden
Full Story
WALL TREATMENTSCan't Find the Right Wallpaper? Make Your Own
For one-of-a-kind walls, just use your imagination. Custom wallpaper is easier and less expensive than you might expect
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: What Makes Your House Feel Like Home?
Sometimes just one thing gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling. Let us know what it is for you
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNRenting? 15 Ways to Make Your Kitchen Your Own
If you’re feeling stuck with a blah kitchen you can’t renovate, these small moves can help make it feel like home
Full Story
EDIBLE GARDENSTake Refuge in an Iced Tea Garden
Cultivate the fine art of lounging in the shade and sipping a cold beverage
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESBathe Your Garden in a River of Color
Flowing curves made of ground covers, herbs and grasses to resemble a riverbed give landscapes movement and grace
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPING10 Chores You Can Whip Through During Commercials
Use ad time for getting tasks done, and it’s like fast-forwarding your house into cleanliness
Full Story
dedtiredOriginal Author