SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bodhi_gw

My Super White hunting trip!

bodhi
12 years ago

After calling around to tons of granite suppliers my wife and I drove around all day yesterday and were able to see many different lots of Super White granite! The first time we went out we only got to see one slab so we were very encouraged to be fortunate enough to see as much as we did.

I'm still a little confused about this type of stone. It goes by many different names:

Super White

White Fantasy

White Vermont

Brazilian Arabescato

Donna Maria

Donna Sandra

Even though several places had it listed as some of these different names, they all said their stone was also called "super white". That was definitely the common name everybody seemed to recognize.

Some places call it Granite, some Quartzite, and one place swore it was actually a hard marble. After reading as much as I could find about this stone I'm a little confused. There doesn't seem to be any real consensus. From what I can tell, this type of stone does vary quite a bit. It always has some white/grey with streaks of darker grey to almost black. It lies somewhere on the spectrum between granite and marble and perhaps the lightest versions of this stone do actually have some calcium in them and thus it will etch like marble, but not as easily. Technically a true granite or quartzite shouldn't etch (from what I can tell) but this type of stone seems to have a chance to etch, thus my conclusion it lies somewhere between granite/quartzite and marble, having some properties of both categories but varying from batch to batch.

My conclusions might be wrong, but from all the various reports from owners of this stone I've read, this seems to be a the case. There's plenty of people that have said their super white doesn't etch/stain, and several people that said theirs does a little. This stone is beautiful and often sought by people who love the look of marble but want the durability of granite. Be warned, it *might* still etch/stain a little but should hold up better than the marble you drool over!

I'll be sure to post back here once I live with this stuff in my kitchen for a while. Two kids, love red wine, cook with vinegar a lot, eat/cut tons of citrus, so if it will etch/stain I'm sure mine will!

So, on to the pictures. We were able to see quite a variety of what "Super White" can look like so thought I'd share.

Lot #1: first slab

Lot #1: second slab

Lot #1: zoomed up pic of second slab

Lot #2: This was probably the whitest slab we saw. Closest to marble. Pictures don't do it justice due to the small space I had to take pictures in. I couldn't back way out to get a good full slab shot.

Lot #2: The other side of the first slab. They had 4 total slabs in this lot.

Lot #3: first slab. I think we like this lot the best. Very white but still has movement. They actually had 6 slabs in this lot with several book-end matched sets.

Lot #3: zoomed up pic of first slab.

Lot #3: second slab. Book end matched slab to the first one.

Lot #3: Zoomed up pic of the second slab. Very pretty and unique pattern in the corner here.

Lot #4: From the same dealer as lot #3 but a different "shipment". Very different visually. Much darker veining, very dramatic.

Lot #4: zoomed up pic of the first slab.

Lot #4: Second slab.

Lot #5: first slab

Lot #5: Zoomed up pic of the first slab.

Lot #5: second slab. Looks like bookend to first slab.

There's the slabs I got to see. Thought some of you would enjoy seeing some of the variety out there in one post. Hopefully I can get some info from my fabricator about pricing differences. I got a wide range of pricing non-info from the granite dealers. One used A-H (quoted a D), one actually had a price per square foot listed (think it was $53), and several wouldn't say anything and just told me to have the fabricator call them. I expect it to be pricey but have no clue how bad it is.

Please feel free to vote on your favorite! We're leaning towards Lot #3 as our favorite with Lot #2 as our second choice. A huge difference in pricing would probably sway us to either one.

Comments (21)