SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoriandream_gw

1892 Victorian Home - Should We Use the Original Exterior Colors?

victoriandream
13 years ago

Quite a while ago we accidently stumbled upon two small wooden paint chips with the original exterior body and trim colors for our 1892 victorian. They were tucked in the rafters in our basement ceiling. Last fall, I had the chips color matched and never even opened the paint because I thought the colors were quite ugly. So, to finally put this to rest I sampled it on the house.

I thought I would share what it looks like and also welcome some feedback. Here's the link to our photobucket, http://s646.photobucket.com/albums/uu185/victoriandream/Exterior%20Color%20Scheme/. You will need to use the password, 1892qavh.

As we stand back and look it gives us the feeling like we've stepped back in time. We've tried all other kinds of colors and this instantly struck us as "right". However, my mom (whom I dearly love) looked at it and reluctantly gave feedback that she thought it would be too bright and really stand out. I'm waiting to get feedback from Robert Schweitzer (Historic House Color Consultant). Of course, this is what he originally suggested and we hesitated.

Also, as long as I've captured you...one more question. Our home has been stripped of all the original siding and has been wrapped in aluminum throughout. Could a multi color victorian color scheme be accomplished using aluminum and adding the scallops in the gables and other details or are we on course to redo this whole home in wood?

Here is a link that might be useful: Original Colors - 1st Few Photos

Comments (6)