SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mech8t7

Suggestions for wall behind 36' rangetop under 42' hood

mech8t7
16 years ago

Hello everyone.

Our kitchen will have a 36" rangetop (Wolf) and we've matched that with a 42" rangehood (Wolf) per manufacturer's recommendation.

As the rangehood has warming lamps in the back, we want to have a stainless steel shelf on the wall below the rangehood. So, we ordered our rangetop with the optional 20" riser with shelf. At that time, we were planning on going with a 36" rangehood and we were thinking that we'd source a sheet of stainless for the wall to go from the top of the riser to the bottom of the rangehood...this would have given us a clean stainless look from the top of the rangehood down to the rangetop.

Still with me?

Well, now that we're going with a 42" rangehood, this idea doesn't work so well because of the additional 3" of space on each side of the rangetop. A 36" sheet of stainless from the riser to the bottom of a 42" rangehood will not look very good. And, at the level of the riser shelf, there would be three inches on each side between the end of the shelf and the exterior sides of the upper cabinets that are on either side of the rangehood. I think the riser will make our built-in rangetop look like a slide-in appliance.)

We have thought about just putting a plain 42" stainless steel sheet back there from the bottom of the rangehood down to the cooktop, but we don't want a configuration that doesn't give us a shelf.

Wolf (and the others) sell backsplashs with deep, folding shelves with grates...but we don't like the look of the folding shelves.

Has anybody else out there tackled this problem? I see on the Wolf website that, on the page for their 48" sealed burner rangetop, there is a picture of an installation where the 52" rangehood has a 52" backsplash with a solid 10" shelf running across the whole length (see link below). I think that would probably address my concerns but I don't know how one would go about trying to source something like that.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Here is a link that might be useful: backsplash w/ shelf

Comments (3)