SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lakemayor

Canned Lake Michigan Salmon

lakemayor
13 years ago

My son and my new daughter-in-law gave everyone in his bridal party a jar of their canned salmon along with wasabi almonds and a beatiful bottle of their favorite wine.

What would you make with the salmon? And perhaps share a recipe if you have something T&T.

Thanks - Karen

Comments (31)

• annie1992
    13 years ago

I'd make salmon cakes or SharonCB's salmon quiche, I really like that.

Or I'd just make salmon salad, just like tuna salad but with salmon, on some lovely freshly baked bread. Yummy.

Nice gifts!

Annie

• lakemayor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Maybe I could use Cookebook's recipe for crab cakes that she just posted. Do you think I can sub salmon for the crab?

Karen

• Related Discussions

Hidden Lake Gardens: Harper Collection Conifers Tipton Michigan

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks guys...I got my first taste of the Harper Collection last fall. I will definitely be making many return trips! Eliot
    ...See More

Greetings from Michigan!

Q

Comments (7)
    That would be great Annie. My in-laws bought a fixer-upper cottage in Harbor Springs that I want to check out. And my niece is living in Grand Rapids, so if I head west then north, I could pretty much stop by everyone's (Tamara, where are you in MI? And Nancy... Charlevoix or ? I'm trying to remember), or perhaps meet somewhere in the middle. I'm open. We're heading to Italy on Sunday, so after we get back, I'll start the planning for this trip. Most likely we'll go the 3rd week of August. Ann
    ...See More

I hate salmon

Q

Comments (17)
    I love salmon, smoked, grilled, sautéed, baked, pretty much any way. I like the sockeye best, but more often I have coho, wild caught here in Lake Michigan. The fresh Lake Michigan salmon taste completely different than those prepacked filets from gawdknowswhere and raised under whoknowswhat conditions. Smoke salmon can be very high in salt, so I'd watch that, but smoked salmon does have the same Omega 3 content, as far as I know. I often put a piece of salmon into the food processor, chop it into "minced", then add whatever suits me. Elery likes spinach and feta, I like onion, cracker crumbs, fresh dill. Ashley likes pineapple tidbits and teriyaki with a bit of brown sugar. Make patties and grill or sauté and they're something that pretty much everyone in my family will eat voluntarily. That said, I think if you don't like salmon, don't eat it. I'm assuming you also don't care for mackerel or sardines? I feed my chickens a special supplement so their eggs are high in Omega 3 fatty acids and I believe you can also get Eggland's Best that are higher in Omega 3s. Flax has lots, and you can also get it from strange sources like fresh basil. Studies have noted that the ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 is one that concerns health officials. They prefer no more than 4:1 ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3. Hens fed vegetables high in Omega 3s lay eggs with a ratio of 1.5:1 (yes, that's 1 1/2, not 15) whereas supermarket eggs are closer to 20:1. Grassfed beef has a ratio of about 3:1, but commercial grainfed beef has a similar 20:1 ratio like eggs. So, the much maligned grassfed beef, bison and wild game is a good source of Omega 3 too. If I want to make a burger, I'll add a bit of olive oil because my beef is just too lean. Annie
    ...See More

Northern Michigan Lake Cottage Exterior Paint

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks so much. I’m near Mackinac Bridge. :) I’ve been looking at sage and yellow colors, too. My cottage is very tiny and old compared to my neighbors-so I feel like I can be a little more daring (but tasteful) with colors, including greens and yellows. Love Scandinavian style cottages-but red is too bold for me. Thanks for all suggestions!
    ...See More
  • diinohio
    13 years ago

Very nice gifts! Is it salmon they caught and jarred themselves? I think salmon patties would be good.

I have a delicious recipe for Fresh Salmon Cakes, it was from Marilyn who used to post here. It is almost exactly like Ruthanna's crab cake recipe but with the addition of garlic and panko, and minus the Old Bay.

What is this trend of giving wedding guests home canned goods? Is this common now? I'm asking because my daughter is getting married next year and if they were to do something like that I'd have to start planning now! I think it's a lovely gesture, but as Annie has shown us, it's labor intensive. Plus I only know how to can habanero jelly and salsa. I do know how to make pickled corn but I think it's an acquired taste, some(most) might not like it!

Di

• lakemayor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Diinohio, Yes it is fresh salmon. My son has a boat on lake Michigan and is an avid fisherman. They canned it themselves.

I would love to have your recipe for Fresh Salmon Cakes.

You know it must be a new trend to give homemade itemsas wedding favors. I think it's great and so personal.

Karen

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Karen, I don't know if it's a trend, but I think it should be.

It is pretty labor intensive, Amanda asked me to do it because it went with her "harvest theme". I got the idea from someone on the Harvest Forum. Your son and DIL are the only other people I know who are using homemade things as favors!

It's lovely and useful and personal, though, I like the idea a lot and would far rather get those gifts than a coffee mug or hand lotion!

Annie

• readinglady
    13 years ago

I think the trend towards home-made gifts is a wonderful one.

I just read today about a child's birthday party where all his little friends brought something they had made themselves; of course that required parental supervision and some assistance, but it's a refreshing change from over-consumption.

My BIL boiling water baths his home-canned salmon. I would rather NOT be gifted with that. With meats and fish it really comes down to trust in the preserver.

Carol

• bunnyman
    13 years ago

My vote is the salmon salad. Grandma would can salmon that Grandpa caught. Great stuff but I always just made a sandwich out of it.

Real mayo, black pepper, and fine chopped onion... on buttered toast... it has to be buttered toast or I don't want it. I can eat tuna without the onion but salmon screams for it.

: )
    lyra

• lakemayor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lyra, Salmon salad sounds interesting. I may have to try it.

Readinglady, I'm with you I love the idea of homemade/crafted gifts. I love the idea of food being given as gifts as it helps keep our landfills cleaner. Usually food doesn't end up there as some other gifts might.

Annie, You are making salsa for all the guests or just for the wedding party? I think by the sounds of the threads I've read, you are making salsa for all the guests. That's a huge job! At least my son and DIL only had about 15 gifts to put together.

Karen

• diinohio
    13 years ago

lakemayor, I misread your post. I thought you said they gifted salmon, wine and nuts to all the guests.

I agree that it is a nice trend, but I think everyone else must be a lot younger or more ambitious than I am! I don't know if DD has even thought about the favors yet.

We are going wedding dress shopping today-our first time! Ash is very excited.

Here is Marilyn's recipe:

Fresh Salmon Cakes

(This makes a loose, somewhat hard to handle mixture before it's cooked but after it's in the skillet it will hold together, only flip once).

2 cloves garlic; minced
    2 tablespoons minced onion
    2 dashes Tabasco (or a pinch of cayenne)
    2/3 cup coarse white bread crumbs
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley
    2 tablespoons real mayonnaise
    1 egg yolk (or egg white)
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 pound fresh salmon
    1/2 cup Panko
    2 or 3 tablespoons olive oil
    lemon wedges

In a medium bowl, combine garlic, onion, Tabasco, bread crumbs, parsley, mayonnaise, egg yolk and salt and pepper.

Remove skin and bones from salmon and cut into small cubes (about 1/2-inch); gently stir into crumb mixture.

Carefully shape salmon mixture into 4 patties and coat the outsides with Panko crumbs.

Heat oil in a non stick skillet over medium high heat until very hot and add salmon cakes. Fry the cakes until brown, about 4 minutes on each side turning only once.

Serve with lemon wedges or your favorite tartar sauce.

*May substitute cracker crumbs or bread crumbs for the Panko.

Marilyn

My note- I seem to remember a sauce made from mayo, dill and horseradish that was really good with this, but it's not with the recipe. Maybe I'm confusing it with another recipe.

Di

• pkramer60
    13 years ago

Di beat me to it with Marilyns recipe for salmon cakes. Tried and true and a keeper here.

• lakemayor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both! I will be making this recipe and I will report back.

Di, Congrats on you daughter's wedding. When is she getting married. Have a great time dress shopping. I went with my new DIL and her mother and we had the best time. There are so many beautiful dresses?

Karen

• lindac
    13 years ago

I would dump it on a plate and eat it with a fork!! maybe a little lemon....but cold good quality canned salmon if wonderful just "as is".
    Linda C

• User
    13 years ago

Home canned salmon is really common out here. Friends gave us some Sockeye they recently canned. So much better than what you buy in the grocery store.

Moe loves these Salmon Patties.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

My Salmon Patties
    ==============
    2 cans red salmon (or leftover cooked salmon)
    1-1/2 cups soft fresh breadcrumbs
    1 to 2 tsp of Dijon mustard
    1/3 cup chopped green onion
    2 potatoes mashed
    1 tablespoon chopped parsley
    Pinch of Thyme
    1 egg beaten
    1/4 Parmesan cheese
    Salt and pepper

Flake salmon in a mixing bowl and add 1/2 cup bread crumbs, green
    onions and mustard and mashed potatoes. Mix with fork until well
    blended. Add beaten egg, thyme, Parmesan cheese, parsley, and salt and
    pepper.

Shape mixture into patties. Mixture will be very soft. Add more bread
    crumbs if necessary. Cost patties with remaining bread crumbs. Heat
    butter and oil in skillet over medium heat. Add salmon cakes and fry 5
    minutes on each side or until nicely browned.

Shellfish sauce - Remoulade sauce
    =================================
    This is my recipe. I use it on Salmon Patties, or cold seafood plates. Usually with crab claws, baby shrimps and avocado salads.

1 cup Homemade Mayo
    1/4 cup Chile Sauce
    1 garlic Clove minced
    1 tablespoon horseradish
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (Coarse)
    Splash of Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons HP Sauce (or A 1 Sauce)
    Fresh squeezed lemon juice
    Fresh dill
    Salt and pepper
    . Mix all of the ingredients together.

Taste and adjust to suit personal taste. If you like Horseradish, add
    more, or more mustard.

• lakemayor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Ann, The sauce really sounds yummy. Now, I'm going to ask my son for more because I have several recipes to try out. Thanks

• Teresa_MN
    13 years ago

Ann - what size cans? I'm assuming smaller ones - two 15 oz. cans seems like alot.

Teresa

• diinohio
    13 years ago

Thank you Karen, DD is getting married 10/1/11. The church and reception hall are already reserved. There's lots to do!
    DD wants me to go with her the first time she shops for a dress, next time future MIL is invited too. Her appt. is for two this after noon.

I did find Marilyns recipe for the sauce.

Cucumber Dill Sauce

1 cucumber
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1 teaspoon dill(if fresh use 1 tablespoon)
    1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
    salt and pepper to taste

Cut cucumber in half and scoop out the seeds. Shred cucumber finely along with the peel and combine with the remaining ingredients. Chill to combine flavors. Serve with your favorite grilled or baked fish. Also good with salmon patties or crab cakes.

Marilyn

>I forgot about the cucumber in the recipe, and probably stole the idea of using horseradish from Ann T's recipe! :)

Di

• bunnyman
    13 years ago

I notice Ann's recipe calls for Dijon mustard. That is THE mustard to use with salmon. I've never made salmon cakes but if cooking frozen salmon I always use a bit of dijon. It turns the fish sweet without the fishy wild taste. Feels weird to type that because I like fish flavor just not the in-your-face mackerel type fishy fish.

: )
    lyra

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Yes, Karen, salsa and apple butter for favors for all the adult guests, we have candy for the kids.

All canned, sealed, stickers on top of the jars, it's done. I've hemmed the wedding dress and Ashley's dress, only my own to go. 14 dozen rolls in the freezer, another batch in the Magic Mill and those will be done too. I've got the flowers all ready to go on the cake, finally hired a bartender and spent today shopping for last minute things like more spoons, chips for the nacho bar and punch ingredients.

I'm out of town 3 days next week and then I'll do the cookies and desserts the week of the wedding.

Annie

• lakemayor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Annie, Where is her wedding and reception?

I can't believe you accomplished all of that. Man I wish I was coming to the wedding to receive those wonderful gifts. You are very generous. How many people are invited to the wedding?

Karen

• Bizzo
    13 years ago

My husband loves Salmon Mac. His mom used to make it and I haven't been able to duplicate it ('cause she used canned salmon and I used leftover fresh, I think)

Here is a link that might be useful: Simply Recipes: Salmon Mac

• lakemayor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bizzo, Thanks! Another great sounding recipe.

Karen

• canarybird01
    13 years ago

I love both Marilyn's Fresh Salmon Cake recipe and a salmon salad, which I make in the simplest way possible and can eat a whole bowl of it myself.
    I would do that especially as you are using a home canned salmon.

SIMPLE SALMON SALAD

Ingredients:

iceberg lettuce chopped finely
    tin of salmon and juice
    mayonnaise of your choice (I prefer Heinz Salad Cream)
    fresh ground black pepper

Mix all together in a bowl and pile onto a plate

(Here I added chives & paprika)

SharonCb

• lakemayor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sharoncb, Oh my goodness does that salad look wonderful. Did you just make it? I could eat it right now. I really do need to get more salmon from my son.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

I make salmon and peas in a white sauce and serve it over a home made tea biscuit. It's a quick meal. I make the white sauce in the microwave. If you don't want to make white sauce you can use cream of celery soup diluted with a bit of milk to gravy consistancy--omit the salt.

1 cup white sauce
    1 can salmon, drained and flaked
    1/2 cup frozen peas
    salt and pepper.

I make the white sauce in a 4 cup measuring cup and then get the bisciuts on. Once they are in the oven. I put the peas in the sauce and microwave for 40 seconds--watch for boil over and stir down if it starts to rise up the sides of the measuring cup too far. I take it out of the microwave, Add the Salmon and salt and pepper and return to the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute to heat everything right through.

Serve over halved biscuits. It's good on toast too.

2 generous servings

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Well, carp, Karen, you just reminded me that I was supposed to post a copy of the invitation here because you are ALL invited!

The wedding is in a little country church in a place called "Woodville", I attended there when I was a kid and Pastor Brummel was the pastor then. He still does some "substitute preaching", LOL and he performed the ceremony when Elery and I got married. He's doing Amanda and Dave's ceremony too.

The reception is at Leighton Hall, right here in White Cloud and a mile or less from my house, so it'll be easy to run food etc., back and forth.

Oilpainter, that creamed salmon sounds good, I'm going to try that.

Annie

• lakemayor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Annie, Thanks for the invite that is sweet of you. When is the date again. I know it's in October right? We are going to be leaving for a trip through the New England States here soon.

Are you making all the food? Or is it being catered?

Karen

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Catered? Um.....nope. LOL My family is a master of what we call the "pot luck reception". There will be a pig roasting and a keg of beer, a couple of cases of wine. I'm doing the wedding cake and all the desserts, plus the nacho bar and some habanero cheesecakes for snacks before dinner.

His Grandma is making potato salad and another grandma is Italian and is making some type of Mostaccoli. I've baked all the dinner rolls. My mother is bringing sauerkraut and polish sausage and David's mother is doing italian sausage and something. A cousin is in charge of coffee. Everyone will have something to do and all family members are happy because they've been asked to participate. It does make for an odd collection of food, but it's all good!

Annie

• hawk307
    13 years ago

Lakemayor:
    You can Google " Lou's Baked Salmon Patties " for another Recipe.
    Add some Dijon Mustard or whatever you like.
    Thanks, LOU

• lakemayor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Lou, I will do that. I'm excited to try all these recipes. I just need to get my hands on more fresh salmon.

Karen

• lindac
    13 years ago

Ann I have never made your salmon patties....what size can?....and I wouldn't be using home canned! LOL!
    Linda c

• User
    13 years ago

Oilpainter, My mom use to make cream peas and serve them over toast. About once every two or three years I'll make that for lunch. I know Moe would love your version with the addition of salmon.

Linda, I keep meaning to edit that recipe to show can size. I use two 213 gram cans, which is probably the same as your regular size seven ounce cans.

Ann