SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plants4

Insurance coverage during remodeling

plants4
16 years ago

Reading the post about insurance coverage after water damage prompts this question. I recently "updated" our insurance coverage after realizing that the level of coverage would be sufficient to build at best 50% of a new house. During the discussion with a new agent I asked about how the remodel would affect this insurance level realizing the "fact" that if you move out of your house for a considerable period, it is no longer insured. Since we will have to move out (temporary kitchens are OK but we need a bathroom!), I needed this information. The agent told me that if we went on vacation that was ok but if we moved out due to renovation we could only be out for 3 weeks before our insurance coverage would lapse. So the "fact" seemed to be true.

Fast forward to my reading the entire policy from cover to cover and all I can find are references to vacancy that affect whether they will replace your glass or clean up graffiti. There is nothing about the coverage lapsing because we move out. In my subsequent emails (better than telephone for keeping records) with the agent, he cited the glass section and when I said, "well, I'm not concerned about glass, I'm concerned about involuntary loss of insurance," he said that his reference to the glass was to show that ....what? that he was wrong about the effects of moving out? No! He didn't say that, that would be too clear. But he implied strongly that moving out wasn't a problem after all. So much for that "fact." I wrote him back an email saying what I thought that he meant and hoping he would write me back to confirm. Naturally he hasn't. So, I will send him a certified letter stating that this is what he has told me...while also calling the company to confirm the agent's position. What a hassle.

So, short version: Is it typical for insurance coverage to lapse if you move out while your house is being renovated? I keep feeling like there's something that isn't actually in the contract (policy) that I have with the insurance company!

Comments (5)