SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsr2002

Dinner at the Dushanbe Teahouse and plans for Penzeys...

lsr2002
13 years ago

Hmmm, I'll bet more than one of you think there is a disconnect in the title of this post.

First, dinner at Dushanbe. On Tuesday, my good friend Mimi from San Francisco, who was spending a few days in Vail with a friend, called to ask if Max and I could meet them for dinner. They drove to Rocky Mountain Park and were returning to Vail through Boulder. Of course we would meet them. Boulder has good restaurants and a good variety but I wanted something not like any of the restaurants we had been to together in SF. After consulting with Max, our decision was the Tea House.

The Tea House is a hand carved, hand painted Persian architectural masterpiece that was sent, as a gift, to Boulder in pieces in 1987 from our sister city Dushanbe, Tajikistan (formerly in the Soviet Union). In Boulder's s-l-o-w and scholarly way, we took ten years to study the issue of WHERE TO PUT IT! And, in fairness, to gather the money needed to acquire the land and erect it. For that decade, the pieces were stored in a warehouse. Finally in 1998 it opened in a downtown location across from City Park. Several craftsmen from Dushanbe came to work with builders here to assemble the pieces correctly. In return Boulder gave Dushanbe a Cyber Cafe, primarily solar powered and equipped with 18 computers. It opened last year, with the restaurant and connections to backup city electricity scheduled to open this year. It is a contemporary building that was scaled back when site and construction problems arose. Still it is heavily used by students and other residents of Dushanbe.

That's a picture from my phone, but for more, and better interior and exterior shots of this amazing building please take a few seconds and look at this: Tea House

Now that you've seen the building, on to dinner. The restaurant has had several management companies and different menus since it opened, some good food, some not so good. It is currently very good. Here's what we ate.

Max had Creole Grilled Ribeye-Cajun blackened ribeye with Southern sweet potato & red bean-andouille stew.

Mimi and I ordered Persian Khoresh-e Fesenjan, a stewed half-chicken in savory spices, roses, sundried apricots,

dried cherries & fresh herbs, white rice. While it said stewed,the skin of the chicken was brown and crisp. It really was a half of a small chicken, with the boned leg quarter under the boned breast quarter.

Mimi's friend ordered Oyster Mushroom Polenta, sundried tomatoes, spinach, wild mushrooms, basil cream sauce. It also had the optional grilled chicken breast on top.

All of the food was delish and the only missing elements were Eileen and Helene who met Mimi and me for a day of food and fun when I visited SF. Yes, that would have made dinner perfect if they had been here to share.

And that great dinner led me to think about last Friday when Karen, Charles, Dlynn and Max and I met for breakfast, and Dlynn and I talked about meeting soon to go to Penzey's in Arvada, a northwest Denver suburb. I thought about what fun it would be to go to Penzey's and have lunch at the Teahouse. As I was looking up the Arvada Penzey's address (which I have not been to even though it opened over a year ago) to see how much more driving to have lunch in Boulder would add to the day for Dlynn, I was stunned to see that Penzey's has opened in Boulder, a few blocks from the Teahouse. It opend about three weeks ago. Even though we get the Denver paper and not the Boulder paper, I must have been living under a rock with no wifi, beause I do follow Boulder business news.

So now you get the connection; I'm hoping to meet Dlynn, have lunch at the teahouse and go to Penzey's in BOULDER.

I'll call and send you an email Dlynn, in case you don't see this.

And for more info on the restaurant itself Teahouse Info and Menu. The restaurant site has additional information on the history and photos of the teahouse. The menus are under the "teahouse" link at the top of the page. And yes, they also sell an amazing variety of teas, prepacked and in bulk.

Lee

Comments (10)

• Gina_W
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a special setting. And you have a Penzeys! Looky what I found - a pic of you and Lars at the Torrance Penzeys:

{{gwi:1458895}}

• dlynn2
    13 years ago

Lee, that sounds like a perfect day. One of my friends that is planning to come to Penzey's is a big fan of The Teahouse ---- she raves about it all of the time. She's invited me to go with her several times. We'll plan that in the near future ....as soon as I get over this awful cold. I'm feeling pretty rotten today.

• lsr2002
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh Gina, that was such a fun day. From start to end with phyllo phun and Oly's great lessons, to all the shopping we did and then the Izakaya dinner. I miss you all. I tried to search for the thread that was posted from that day but it's disappeared. Couldn't find Lar's video on YouTube anymore either, but I remember the entire day and how great it was that Jessica and Ellen chauffeured us!

Dlynn, I hope you're feeling better, sick is so awful. Just get in touch when you can and we'll make plans.

Here's one last picture from our dinner. Mimi is on the right and her friend on the left.

I'm ready to go back there for a meal anytime.

Lee

• annie1992
    13 years ago

Lee, what a beautiful restaurant and the food looks delicious. I love the table tops too.

Lars sure looked happy in that picture, what was he smelling Lee? Of course, Lars is always handsome...

Annie

• Lars
    13 years ago

We both do look very happy there (although I was somewhat shocked to see my picture pop up!!), and now I want even more to go to Denver/Boulder and visit Lee and my cousins. I just don't have that many days I can take off, but that restaurant looks fantastic. I can't open Lee's pictures here at work, and so I'll have to check this at home.

Dlynn I hope you are doing better with your cold, and I hope we will get to meet you in Colorado as well some time in the near future. I wonder if we could combine it with a trip to Utah, where I also have friends that I want to visit.

Lars

• lsr2002
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lars, I was surprised too - but Gina is full of surprises! And I remember the entire day very well. Do open the linked pictures which are just a Google search but there are some astounding views of the Teahouse, it is really beautiful inside and out. There is an amazing story of how Boulder was gifted with this and how it was finally constructed here. It is the only traditional Persian Teahouse in the Western Hemisphere. Boulder and Dushanbe have been sister cities since 1982 and there are fund raising efforts every year. There have been a number of visits between the cities. This is from the home page of the organizations website "We sponsor cultural, educational, medical, and business exchanges between Dushanbe and Boulder. Building an environment of trust and cultural understanding - this is what citizen diplomacy is all about."

Of course I would love to see you here. I don't know where your friends are in Utah but Salt Lake City is 500 miles from Boulder, an 8 hour drive or an 90 minute flight for as low as $88. round trip.

Annie, I don't remember what we were smelling in the picture, but I do remember smelling all the varieties of cinnamon (before I decided on the Korintje) so it could be cinnamon. The tabletops at the teahouse are all different in the ornamental tile borders and all have chess boards in the centers. Tea and chess could occupy patrons for hours in Asia and the Middle East.

Lee

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

Lucky Lee and DLynn: October issue of Bon Appetit has an article on "Amerca's Foodiest Town-2010 Boulder, CO".

I forgot about the Boulder County Farmers' Market. I haven't been there in about 6 years; I'll have to check it out next summer.

• Lars
    13 years ago

Lee, my friends are in Kayenta, which is a suburb of St. George, and in the SW corner of the state. I originally thought that the drive from St. George to Denver would be interesting, but now I'm thinking that it is too long. I'll probably have to make separate trips. I am anxious to visit Colorado, as I've only been in the Denver airport, and that was back in the late 1970s. Everyone I saw in the airport back then dressed like cowboys, and that put me off a bit, but I'm sure it's changed by now!

Lars

• sprout26
    13 years ago

Just had to say thanks for the heads up on the teahouse, found myself visiting my sister in Aurora so dragged her up there for tea and stopped at Penzey's too. Such a lovely building. The spice hunt was fun also, although I forgot my list. Didn't want to get stopped at the airport carrying green leafy stuff!

• centralcacyclist
    13 years ago

I was in Boulder briefly several years ago and noticed the tea house and looked it up when I returned home. Beautiful!