SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Great oil painting for Spanish Decor

oceanna
16 years ago

No vested interest on this end, but I thought those of you doing Spanish decor might be interested in THIS. I think it would be quite charming with the right frame and in the right room. What do you think?

Comments (43)

• lucy
    16 years ago

If you don't mind an almost-black-velvet kind of thing - it certainly isn't great art, even if it's 'pretty'.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow -- I don't see it that way at all, but to each his own I guess.

• Related Discussions

reproduction oil painting

Q

Comments (17)
    Although I have a lot of originals, I also have a framed copy of John Singer Sargent's, "Corfu, Light and Shadows", an Old Master's (Bruegel?) still life and another flower study that I have hanging right along side of them. I could care less that they're not originals, because the pictures themselves make me happy just walking past them every day. Art should speak to you and I think it still speaks when it's a copy, too. One thing about those copies with the brush strokes, though: my still life is like this and what it is, is really just a print of the original on canvas that someone painted clear brush strokes on top of . . . and they don't even match the brush strokes in the painting in many places! I'm not sure one is worth several hundred of dollars, if this is what you're thinking of. I bought mine secondhand, framed, for $30, so I'm satisfied that I didn't pay too much for it, although I did have to repaint and antique the frame ;~P
    ...See More

My 'antique oil painting' is done! (PICS)

Q

Comments (32)
    Thank you teeda_2006 ! Funny story... My daughter's boyfriend has recently bought a house. The young couple are talking about how they will furnish and decorate, so I mentioned that the Goodwill Store would be a great place to start. My daughter looked at me like I was crazy and said "EWWWWW, I'm not going to decorate with someone else's stuff!" Today, I showed her this thread and she was really impressed with what you did. I think she was even more impressed with the $2 price tag and is changing her tune to shopping at Goodwill. I also think that my DD will become a regular on this board in the next few months - through me. :) I just love the way your "painting" looks on that red wall.
    ...See More

Need help with open great room/dining room/kitchen decor

Q

Comments (3)
    Don't have time to answer all of your questions but here's what I can suggest: 1) Lower the mantle on fireplace a little, as well as the painting in the niche. (See #2 here) Consider changing the mantle to something less rustic and paint in color A (see next suggestion) 2) Open spaces should be cohesive - which you can easily do with paint. Choose 2 colors or 2 shades of the same color and vary placement in different areas. (see #5 here) Consider adding a simple chair rail to the dining area. For example, with minimal effort, you could use color A below the chair rail in dining area, as the dominant color in window treatments fabric (I"d use draw drapes) , the back wall of niche, throw pillows, lamps ac, and maybe an area rug in living room, and in accessories (see #3 here) in living room and kitchen. I'd consider adding some of that color to kitchen also -- back of open cabinets for example, recovering bar stools and dining room chair seats to match drapery fabric and possibly slip covering one of the armchairs in the living room in a pattern that incorporates the wall colors with other colors in the space. You want to use coordinates, not just the same solid everywhere so look for different textures or patterns to add. Hope that helps. I've inclluded links to additional info about topics I mentioned that I think you'll find helpful. 3) see #2 - I'd choose lamps with either a base or shade to match color A. (See #7 here) 4) Add plants. If you aren't there often enough to take care of them, use artificial greenery.
    ...See More

Please Help! How to decorate with old oil art in contemporary home

Q

Comments (27)
    Love the cow in foyer - makes me smile & makes the “serious“ art less so. May be perspective in photo but foyer looks long a bit austere. A longer table would help? Or, a chair or something with that ”weight“ next to existing table & on the front door side (right side facing table). Agree Larger art would be good over fireplace & would like to see the large piece you showed up there just to see difference It makes. Agree the items under existing art should be removed - leave the pitcher & 2 pieces on other end. Beautiful home !
    ...See More
  • squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I love portraits, too, Oceanna. Very pretty. Make it really big, textured giclee or original :)

Thanks for sharing!

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

You did ask, "what do you think" and you'll get varied responses, I could post a few of my paintings that I adore and I would get negative comments, I would have asked for it and expected comments to be varied; I don't think I could stand that, lol.

I won't comment on the painting but I do find that it would be too stereotypical of a spanish decor, too matched to the theme/style.

For some reason I can't explain, I am never attracted to portraits of people I don't know, it seems too personal to me.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Several folks have been discussing doing Spanish decor here lately. I saw this piece and right away thought of those folks, and it's those folks I had hoped to address with this thread. I guess I should have made that more clear. If one of them likes it, then I'm glad I called it to their attention and made them happy. If not, no harm, no foul.

Thanks, Squirrel. Among other things, I'm looking for a portrait to possibly hang over my fireplace, so that's how I happened to run across this. It's not right for my decor, but maybe it's perfect for someone's.

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Our favorite and "best" painting is one that elicits varied and extreme response. My best friend does not like it one bit and has told me so. Other folks go ooh and aah over it. I really think art has to be found...or more likely, it finds you.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I agree, Amy. There's no telling why one of us will love something and another will hate it. Interesting about your favorite painting. Along the same lines, when I've pulled off my best decorating there was always a point along the way where I suddenly looked at what I was doing and was struck by fear that I was barking up the wrong tree -- and then it worked out great in the end. Really good decorating often involves taking some risks, and nothing is going to please all the people all the time.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

You know, when you think about it. If you want something that's unique and personal -- if you're pleasing everyone or most people, it might be pretty typical, expected, or even bland.

I have to say, frequently when I don't like something at first -- it ends up being one of my favorite things. I first noticed it with music. It's nice and very enjoyable when the beauty or interest of something unfolds over time, rather than just jumping out at you.

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Like Bartok!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well said, Squirrel. I think you're entirely right about that.

Amy -- Bartok?

• love-my-lilhome
    16 years ago

oceanna, it was sweet and thoughtful of you to post the Spanish Lady.

I'm with you , I remember someone asking about art for a Spanish Med feel.

I still can't get use to (and never will) the way some responders answer on here.

Art is like .....in some ways rugs.

Just because you can't afford a Karastan or whatever doesn't mean you can't find a beautiful well made rug at Penneys.

Someone will love the painting oceanna.

• amysrq
    16 years ago

Oceanna, Bartok was in response to SH's comment:

I have to say, frequently when I don't like something at first -- it ends up being one of my favorite things. I first noticed it with music.

Bartok often rubs people the wrong way at first...like my painting or perhaps the Spanish lady. ;-)

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

I will never understand why a negative reaction posted on some of these forums is regarded as unseemly. With all the artwork, real and reproduction, available in all price ranges and for all tastes and decors, a piece of churned out sentimentality really shouldn't spark any heated debate if not everyone loves it.

Let me put it this way... on one hand, if a friend or acquaintance bought this, hung it and asked for an opinion I'd be tactful enough to comment on the frame, how the colors blend with the rest of the room, how it fills up an empty space. On the other hand, if a friend or acquaintance asked if this should be purchased, I'd gently suggest they might want to look around a little more.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Is this a heated debate?

I guess, for me, what I don't understand is -- if someone is posting something like this which they like and feel someone else might like and be interested in, why does someone else feel the need to criticise it? What's the point?

I really must be moving along, lol.

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

As a hobby artist with no Spanish decor, I like it. I'd even hang it in my house ;) The human face is a very difficult subject to capture. She has an expression I see, very subtle, of seemingly longing for something/someone.

• amysrq
    16 years ago

She's subtly longing to be hung in your home, Moon. ;-)

• wooderlander
    16 years ago

Criticism is not automatically a bad thing. Since Oceanna did ask "What do you think?" and since it's not *her* painting and I think she offered it because she is accustomed to being helpful, and since we can all learn by looking at and discussing art (or "art") even if our opinions differ, I will say that I agree that this painting is sentimental and stereotypical, also pretty, and I would add even a little embarrassing.

Artistically and politically, I'm against it. But to each his own! Different strokes! and all that.

• love-my-lilhome
    16 years ago

I guess maybe being a born and bred southerner I'm just use to less rude criticism?

Yes, I would tell my best friend I didn't like a particular
    painting if she brought it home and asked my opinion.

But, if she brought it home...already...that tells me it appealed to her.

I'm going to always say what I think but I'm going to try not to be rude in the telling.

I would say it just wasn't me but I would add "sugar" or "honey" at the end to soften the blow.

I realize on here....its not necessary to sugar or honey anyone....but dang....think before you blurt . Surely one would in person face to face...wouldn't they?

I'm being touchy. I just spent the week-end with the DIL with a sharp tongue and rude disposition.

Sorry if I stepped on anyones foot.

• love-my-lilhome
    16 years ago

Patting oceanna on the shoulder, I'm sorry I hijacked your thread.....sugar.

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Amy: ;-)

I like what you said here love-my-lil: I'm going to always say what I think but I'm going to try not to be rude in the telling. That's very classy!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Exactly, lil-home and Moon. I don't know why everyone so needs to say what they think, anyway. Is someone going to get hurt if they don't? No. But someone may if they do. The initial post didn't come across as a proposition for an art critique by those who take it so seriously.

Personally, I don't 'get' what would is wrong about a sentimental painting, as that was mentioned a couple times above now (and have certainly heard those things before). Or why it would be artistically and politically something to be against, unless it has something to do with assuming who's churning out the paintings maybe?

I have been around some art teachers, though, and don't agree with statements like 'art must be controversial' or it should be abstract or modern and not realistic. Nothing wrong with any of those forms. I just see no reason to put reins and constraints on what people find amusing, interesting, beautiful, or just like to look at or have in some place in their home. We all see things that aren't 'art' to us -- like a particular sofa on CL that was recently posted! as art. But, that was the topic of the conversation.

It's personal, very personal. And, it's personal taste developed from one's own life experiences and such. It's about how it makes someone feel when they look at it -- nothing else.

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

" I don't know why everyone so needs to say what they think, anyway "

squirrel, for me that's the basic premise of these forums or else why would people bother ?

the variety of topics and the possibility of expressing one's self is what I find makes people come here day after day.

I find that most people will feel free to express their opinion, good or bad, when it's on an item that does not belong to anyone, or specially when the poster says "what do you think?"
    the temptation is too strong to resist, lol.............

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

Oceanna, I have a friend who has some rooms decorated in Southwestern style, and that painting would work so well for her.

One of these days I am going to take post some pics of the HUGE paintings I have that my mother in law painted. They are HUGE abstracts. Generally, when people see them for the first time they are like "Why do you have that crap hanging on your walls?" LOL!

• creekylis
    16 years ago

Wow. This is an interesting thread for sure.

As for the painting... I took a look not because I am interested in Spanish decor per se, but because my children have a Spanish heritage that I would like to honor here and there as appropriate.

I think it's a lovely painting and perfectly appropriate for anyone who loves it. I think art -- if purchased and hung because you love it -- is an expression of oneself and should be. Art purchased because it was in the latest Pottery Barn catalog is the "latest thing" is not as interesting. If you happen to LOVE the LATEST THING, that's very fortunate.

I do agree with a previous poster that I personally have an aversion to portraits of people I do not know. I still see the beauty in them for sure... just can't seem to hang them in my house. But this is MY issue and not a recommendation for anyone else.

Anyway, I think it is lovely and a nice gesture for oceanna to have posted it for others to see.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Yes, that's true MitchDesj. It's just so personal. I do like to throw things out there, too, into the great abyss :) Simply because I feel like saying how I feel, exploring how I feel, or just to see how others react or think. I have certainly learned here just how varied our worlds are! I do hope not to put my own expression above hurting someone else's feelings though. We can still feel however we do without expressing it! :)

I'm actually struggling with a relative, like lil-home, that just seems to put stating their opinion (on anything and everything) above other people's feelings and their own personal relationships. So, I'm a bit sensitive to it these days :)

I truly hate oppression, but I just think that people seem to lose all restraint when it comes to the net. Not necessarily a good thing. Surely very interesting though! Face-to-face may not always be pleasant but it sure doesn't seem to go down like on the net -- not around here anyway!

Not saying everyone needs to like or appreciate a certain painting or style, just that it seemed to be a nice gesture from a kind and generous person who enjoys contributing around here, rather than a discussion point. No need to slap her in the face for it, so to speak.

I've loved portraits for as long as I can remember. Now this 'paintings of strangers in my home' thing has me feeling a bit funny! Never thought about it that way at all. Don't think I want my relatives looming over watching me though, lol.

• wooderlander
    16 years ago

"people seem to lose all restraint when it comes to the net"

Is that really what you think has happened here??

Thanks, Oceanna, for your many good ideas. I always check out, enjoy and appreciate your contributions.

• User
    16 years ago

Oceanna, I of course love the subject matter and think it's well-executed. Thanks so much for sharing this -- I enjoyed seeing it!

If I had the wall space, I'd be tempted to bid on it, except for the fact that it's not on a stretched canvas, and is likely one of the mass-produced paintings from China. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that -- I have four large abstract florals in my workout room that are of the mass-produced variety -- but I'd prefer to buy directly from the artist, and I find myself a bit more selective nowadays. I have to be ... unless I want to start hanging paintings on the ceiling! ;-)

• kats
    16 years ago

The colors in this painting are gorgeous! For those that like portraits it might be a great find. And, while not on the grand scale of the Mona Lisa, it still speaks like any other painting. Several people here have said that the painting is a bit personal and one poster even said a bit embarrassing. To me it is reminiscent of the very popular Indian maiden paintings (I live in the southwest). It speaks to me of sexuality and vulnerability. Although not a true Spanish decor I have Spanish furniture. Would I buy this painting...no. But someone will and they will love her.

Oceanna, Thank you for posting this painting. I always seem to forget about Ebay and you've reminded me to look there for several things I hope to buy.

• User
    16 years ago

Well, now - I just read the comment about the painting being "embarrassing" and a "political" objection expressed. Why, out of curiosity? Having spent a good deal of time in Mexico, I can tell you that women do dress traditionally on many occasions, and I think that this is a beautiful representation of that aspect of the culture.

• User
    16 years ago

I'm not asking for a critique of the paintings I own, but here are a couple of examples of mine that are most definitely steeped in Latin culture. The woman selling mangos, the old man in traditional clothing, sombrero included ... These are not to my way of thinking caricatures by any means -- but an expression of a way of life viewed with appreciation and interest. (Then again, it's entirely possible that I misread the intent of the above comment that I felt was saying that the piece the OP linked to was somehow politically incorrect.)

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Woodlander, we were just talking about why some need to express their negative take or criticism of something [that someone else likes]. There is definitely less restraint on the net, I think. And, yes, some of it showing above, imo, as I don't see what the point was. Oceanna was simply sharing something she found that others might be interested in.

I bought a little painting over in Europe where a large bunch of students and artists were gathered -- not made in China -- churning out scenic paintings for tourists. I do love that little thing and have never felt it looked like a 'churned out, mass-produced piece of sentimentality.' It is very sentimental to me, though, as I am reminded of that (probably once in a lifetime) trip every time I look at it. And my mind was simply reeling with the beautiful imagery over there!! So, I have a little piece of it home with me now.

How painful it must be to be an artist. One really needs to learn to handle a lot of rejection.

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

How painful it must be to be an artist. One really needs to learn to handle a lot of rejection.

Speaking for myself, and those I've been in classes with, we are our own worst critics. Someone can ooh and ahh and all the while we are mentally ticking off flaws. I took a watercolor class last year because I wanted to explore that medium more. At the end of every class we'd all set our projects in the making on a table and do a 'critique'. (No names were associated with the projects, but we soon came to recognize what style belonged to what painter.) You can have 10 different people critiquing the same piece and each one will see beauty where the painter sees a flaw, someone will see movement where the painter sees none. It's all very fascinating. From my own experience, I might be focusing on creating a specific mood or message to the viewer, and the viewer will end up seeing a message I never intentionally put there! Definitely an 'eye of the beholder' situation. ;) Our instructor was from Sweden and had shown her work throughout European galleries, Chicago and artist colonies in western Michigan on the shoreline of the great lake. The woman saw a work of art in everything, including rusty metal in a junkyard (a field trip ;). Her first and only rule laid out at our first critique session: comment all you want, but no bashing. Because to her, and what she wanted to teach us, is there is beauty in everything that comes from the soul, whether it be the Mona Lisa or a child's crayola doodle. ;)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Thanks for telling that story, Moon :) She sounds like a very inspirational teacher. I've heard tales of those art class critiques -- that take place in the intense day programs -- where people run out in tears. People get just plain cruel. One of my teachers said it was routine and she felt very lonely and isolated while in art school. And you're right, it can be hard enough for the artist to achieve what they're trying to do and be satisfied with the result, moreless having other people jumpin' all over it. Finding galleries to accept one's work is another round of rejection I'd shudder to have to endure.

You're lucky to be in a class where the focus is more on what's good or positive about people's work -- which is a great point to grow from! It is amazingly interesting, too, to hear what other people see in something!

I remember from as long back as I can, how I never like anyone to see something I'm working on before it's done (whatever that might be) -- 'cause they will inevitably not see what I see or understand where I'm going or that it's a work in progress ... and will start criticising or trying/wanting to change things, yada yada. That can be so very discouraging and throw things off track too -- if you're not actually at a point where you're seeking input on something! A lot of people just don't understand how things can look like a real mess before they're done! Like gardening for instance, lol. I hate having the neighbors around for that one!

• kats
    16 years ago

"Well, now - I just read the comment about the painting being "embarrassing" and a "political" objection expressed. Why, out of curiosity? Having spent a good deal of time in Mexico, I can tell you that women do dress traditionally on many occasions, and I think that this is a beautiful representation of that aspect of the culture."

I understand what you are saying. I also spend time in Mexico and have seen many woman in traditional clothing and they are beautiful. I don't know about the other posters but for me it has nothing to do with her dress. As I was stating the painter could as easily had her wear deer hide or even a harem costume. It's not her culture, it's her inner self I'm seeing.

Moonshadow You are SO RIGHT about an artist being her worst critic. Though not an "artist" in the true sense I do charcoal drawings. I'm harder on myself than anyone who has one of my drawings.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

You really have to criticize ('critique') everything you do though! That's progress :)

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

In reading all the responses to make sure - where are you finding that any negatives were directed at the original poster for offering the painting up for consideration? The reactions are to the work itself - not criticisms of it having been linked or that the OP was being anything less than helpful in citing the work.

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

kats: Wonder why we're like that? I was sitting here pondering that (cuz I'm tryin' to avoid working on taxes :o ) and I remembered when my nieces were little, under 6 years old. They are creative and have artistic leanings. When they were little they saw no negativity. Not only did their finished little works of art bring sheer joy to them, there was no doubt, they just knew in their hearts that when they presented me with one of their creations to be displayed on my fridge (their 'gallery' ) that I would see the same beauty in it and experience that joy. It was, after all, a masterpiece! So touching, the purity of emotions in a small child. I noticed about age 6 is when the inhibitions started to creep in, and the little self-criticisms and self doubt. If only we could reach inside and grab that little child in each of us and hold onto a bit of it, instead of beating ourselves up! ;D

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

I agree, SQH, critique is growth. But I know from my own experience, too much beating myself up and I end up with partially finished projects, lots of them. It's a fine line to walk between growth and stunting growth! ;D

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

MS, you're making me laugh. I think I need a support group!

• kats
    16 years ago

MS and SH
    So true about children and their art. What happened???
    Yea, I know, critique is growth... still it's hard to hear about shortcomings when you don't believe your strengths. I never let anyone see my drawings until they're done and if I don't like them at that stage no one ever sees them. They go in to the abyss closet. LOL!

Did someone mention...support group???
    ;)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Often, I think, we learn it from the world around us. Barry Manilow told a great story about how encouraging and supportive his family always was -- he was laughing about how he could've been booed off the stage and never would have even noticed or realized!

I also remember a teacher telling us how he no longer goes back to his teachers to ask what they think -- cause he can never please them or something. I like Schwarzenegger's thoughts on doing what you want or love -- to go for it and 'just put on your blinders and go!' It's hard and easier said than done, but you really do need to let your inner voice guide you and tune out the noise as best as possible. Whether it be your own noise or somebody elses :)

Another thought, the Circle of Known -- the more you learn, the more you learn how much you don't know :)

These days, I just like to think of my endeavors as progress; just working along a continuum. And there will always be people who can just 'blow you away.' A lot of people don't realize that even the greats have to work very, very hard. Enjoy what you can do, and admire what they can do, and continue to seek to aspire.

So, support group, what time? lol

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

I'm there. As long as there's chocolate! ;D

• kats
    16 years ago

Lucky Manilow! I can see how growing up with unconditional support has got to help an artist no matter what their craft. He probably would have been fine no matter what he chose to do in life because of that support. Then you have those that somehow preserver without a good foundation. And then there's those very few lucky ones that always seem to make a silk purse from a sow's ear.

Ohhhh, Chocolate??? Now that's MY kind of therapy!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!