SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthanna_gw

MomFood (or DadFood)

ruthanna_gw
12 years ago

If you have children living away from home and they come home to visit, are there any special foods they request that you make for them?

DD#1 always wants what we call red sauerkraut - sauerkraut cooked with chopped onion, grated apples, tomato juice, brown sugar, garlic, white wine and seasonings. I slow-bake it with pork and/or kielbasa and serve with mashed potatoes.

DD#2's request is for sliced chicken hearts with rice cooked in their broth and for "grilled cheezies", which is an open faced grilled cheese sandwich with one side like a normal GC and other side having the cheese being directly fried in the pan until crunchy.

DH has the unusual talent of being able to turn over an entire skillet of pancakes with a flick of his wrist so they both request pancakes for breakfast on the first morning to make sure he hasn't lost his touch.

When I used to visit my mom, I'd request pot roast with carrots cooked in with it and mashed potatoes with gravy.

Comments (7)

• lindac
    12 years ago

One kid always wants mushroom rissoto and an Iowa chop....but when younger it was a steak.....don't remember my daughter wanting anything special.
    Grand kids are a mixed bag...one wants Maytag White Cheddar cheese, another likes to cruise the dry cereal, another likes crackers....my sticky buns are a favorite with 2 others....another wants salmon, for lunch, dinner and as an horsdouvre.

• Lars
    12 years ago

When I visit my parents, I request that we go to Pignetti's Italian Restaurant downtown. Otherwise, I end up doing the cooking as well as the grocery shopping. Mother used to make pot roast that I liked, but she hasn't made that since her church burned down.

Lars

• diinohio
    12 years ago

Lars, I love your posts.

Di

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Di, so do I. It's one of the things that drew me here, and kept me here.

OK, so what do the kids want? The Princess and Bruvver want farm shaped waffles with chocolate chips in them, and bacon. All the bacon they can eat, their mother limits them to a couple of slices each at home, LOL.

Ashley wants mashed potatoes, sauerkraut and creamed corn. All together in a pile, ugh.

Amanda wants homemade bread and pumpkin roll and roasted turkey.

Annie

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Anything, and lots of it. And chocolate chip cookies.

• ghoghunter
    12 years ago

My Dad who is 91 lives with us and he often requests Baked Spaghetti. It's an old depression era recipe his Mom used to make and so my Nana taught my Mom and my Mom taught me and we are still eating it! I just made it for him last week!!!
    1 pound ground meat
    1 green pepper diced
    1 onion diced
    2 cans stewed tomatoes
    1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
    1/2 pound spaghetti noodles
    grated parmesan cheese

Brown the ground meat and onion and peppers. Add the stewed tomatoes and tomato sauce and simmer for about 10 minutes until well cooked together.
    Cook the spaghetti noodles al dente
    Place the noodles and meat and tomato mixture into a greased 13 by 9 by 2 inch baking pan
    Sprinkle grated cheese liberally all over the top of the casserole
    Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes till bubbly and the cheese has turned golden brown

Now lots of folks would like to add garlic or other Italian spices but they were never used at my Dad's home so we are used to having it plain. In fact my Dad does not like garlic in anything so I leave it out to please him!

Joann

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

I don't know if anyone said this yet as I just started read the thread but be sure and give your kids those recipes for the dishes even if they aren't a "recipe" per se...you can still try your best to write it down for them. I have lost so many recipes from my mother that passed away last year and no one knows how to make her old dishes that we all LOVED! My Mom was a great cook! Her recipes are lost forever! UGH! :(