SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenny1963_gw

What's more important: size of fridge or sink?

jenny1963
13 years ago

I'm back with more questions about my tiny kitchen renovation.

It turns out that the sink, dw, and fridge run along my 10.5 foot wall of my tiny L-shaped kitchen, can accomodate a 36" fridge, 24" dishwasher and a main sink that fits in a 28" cabinet base. So, far that means a 25" sink, which is smaller than what I was hoping for, as my intention had been to have at least 24" interior width on a sink.

So, my first thought was to get a narrower all-fridge (maybe 24") and supplement with two freezer drawers (with included ice-maker,) particularly because I already have a supplemental freezer (one huge standing freezer) as well as extra fridge in our basement, just a stair flight away. This plan would give me extra counter space, probably make my small kitchen feel more spacious, and allow me to have a 33" or even 36" base cabinet for a large sink.

However, my friend who is both an interior designer and general contractor says that it's a mistake to go this route. She thinks: 1. it'll be expensive to purchase the all-fridge and freezer drawers, and 2. it's important to have a standard size dishwasher and refrigerator, especially in a urban (Chicago) upscale family neighborhood (I guess for resale) and also for ease of replacing appliances when things break down, and, 3. freezer drawers would take up valuable cabinet space.

She thinks I should go with a smaller sink (25" is the biggest I have found that'll fit in my 28" cab) and standard 36" fridge. I could supplement with a small prep sink in either the island or on my other counter run near my range to help relieve some of the pressure on the main sink.

Thoughts, please!! (btw, we are not planning on moving, especially since we're basically doing a gut-rehab of 2-3 floors, but I guess you never know.) Which size is more important: fridge or sink?

Comments (44)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz