SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenswrens

OK to throw it away - thank you

jenswrens
12 years ago

This is a really old thread (linked below), but it has been a godsend for me this weekend, especially the advice from Talley Sue.

I have a disgusting hoard in my basement that we've been meaning to go through for years. The basement has become a catch-all for things that I want immediately out of the "living" part of the house but don't know what to do with.

Yesterday just thinking about what all had to be done - sorting, organizing, finding places to recycle and donate things and thinking about driving stuff there, setting up consignment accounts, fitting it into my schedule, etc - made me so depressed I could barely move all day.

So I came here for inspiration and found it in this thread. Permission to just "throw it away." Thank god.

I also saw photos of someone else's basement that were pretty uninspiring to me because what she thought was unorganized and cluttered was nothing - laughable even - compared to what I'm facing down there. At least in her basement, there was room for someone to walk around. A few toys scattered in the middle of the clean floor. Mine is ... well, something else entirely. I would like to post photos but I'm really much too embarrassed. It is mortifying beyond words.

This morning, we attacked one wall - a small 3x8 foot area, less than 5% of the whole area - and I was amazed at all the crap. That tiny area when all spread out filled our 10x30 deck. We made a small pile of things to freecycle (about 3-4 things). We kept about 25% of the rest.

Without having the psychological carte blanche to "just throw it away" I never could have done this. So I'm thankful to everyone here who said, "It's OK." What a difference this has made in my life today. Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: When is it OK to throw it away?

Comments (28)