SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lobsterbird

Here's my list of unfinished projects

lobsterbird
17 years ago

As I've been rooting around the basement (looking at extension cords and plugs, etc.) I came across some paperwork that reminded me of yet another unfinished project hanging over my head. A lot of these projects I associate with home decorating, but some tasks remain unfinished due to lack of motivation and organization. So, in the interest of coming clean, here's a short list of my incomplete projects:

Prepare home inventory list and pics for insurance purposes

Repair hall lamp or replace (it is old and one piece is hard to find but I haven't exhausted potential local sources)

Hang several pieces of art/photos

Replace Sunbeam Mixmaster cord

Hook up stereo in sitting room (run wires to speakers)

Complete family photo albums - it was a huge project and I'm not that far from done, but haven't been back to it in almost a year

Sell old print (ebay? consign?)

Decide what to do with unfinished quilt (pay someone to do it? - There is an emotional attachment to this project)

Replace several paper lamp shades with silk shades (waiting for extra cash)

Reupholster living room chair (looking for perfect fabric, but also waiting for extra cash)

Frame and mat grandfather's architectural drawing and historical map (need cash)

Reframe two oil paintings (need cash)

Paint small bedroom

Determine how I want to decorate master bedroom

Decide whether to keep vintage lamp I bought for master bedroom - if so, get shade for it

Organize clothes, shoes, drawers, and closets (I've thrown/given stuff away over the last couple of years but the situation is still far from ideal)

Looking at this list makes me feel overwhelmed. Some things cost money and need to wait a bit, and I'm ok with that. However, some of these tasks don't cost a dime, but require lots of little steps and chunks of time. I'm going to make a master list and post it near my mini office. If I ever feel the need for retail therapy (yes, I admit to doing this occasionally), perhaps I can purchase something I've been waiting for instead of shopping in an unfocused way. I can prioritize the tasks that don't require money, and then take the top item and break the task down into manageable steps. When I have free time I will know what I'm working on and where I am in the process.

I need to either forget about some these unfinished projects or start making them a priority. I am tired of the emotional weight they carry.

Anybody else have a list? Any ideas or suggestions?

Tina

Comments (8)