SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tim_789

Layout advice for kitchen in old Ohio house, please

Tim_789
12 years ago

We're working on finalizing a new kitchen design for our 100-year-old house. I've seen lots of helpful tips from the folks on this forum, and would appreciate any comments on layouts in the link below. I'm a pretty good DIY cabinetmaker, and will build them myself - simple white shaker style all around. The dishwasher is to the right of the 30" farmhouse sink, and a pullout trash drawer to the left. We're planning a Sharp microwave drawer left of the slide-in range. A few specific questions as well:

- I'm debating about the 12" wide 'toaster oven alcove' next to the refrig - I like it, but am not sure about sacrificing 12" of counterspace for it - there's not a whole lot of prep space already. Note that this counter is 30" deep already - we're planning to use a full-size frig, and want it to look counter-depth.

- Above this alcove we're thinking of a pantry-style pullout - is this a bad idea for a wall cabinet (rather than a base cabinet)? It will mostly hold lightweight stuff - cereal, pasta, grains, etc

- The sink counter faces a new family room addition. Should it just be a wide counter, or should we build a breakfast bar - a stud half-wall with a granite counter on top (to raise the height and to hide the sink from the FR)?

We have very little space for wall cabinets, but lots of drawers. How big a problem is this?

Many thanks in advance for your comments.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cinci Kitchen Sketchup

Comments (3)