SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rgillman

Soapstone! - the templating

rgillman
16 years ago

As promised, Jay Tauber - aka Garden State Soapstone - came yesterday to template the stone. If you already have your counters, you know the drill. But to me, this was fascinating because I've never een the templating process before. And I am a process person.

He started in the corner where the famous Advantium cabinet will be, sitting on top of the counter. (this will be the NEW Advantium, not the one without a door that is sitting in my garage at the moment - see link below if you missed this adventure).

This is a tricky corner because of the way the cabinets are configured. Later, we spent quite a bit of time trying to decide whether the soapstone should go straight across the agonal or whether it should be cut out to follow the line of the diagonal jogs on the sides. On his right you can see what I mean.It's clearer in the sketch where it says 3 draw.

Jay was very patient while I hemmed and hawed and said "could you cut just a little more?" With his input, we finally got it to where it will be fine. He promises I'll be happy and I believe him.Here he is doing the easy part.

Of course, even though this condo is only 20 years old, the walls are wonky -- so in some places the soapstone will be flush to the wall; in others, there will be a space. This means I need a backsplash that is thick enough to hide the spaces. That lets out stainless steel and leaves tiles, which will probably be contemporary in feel and have to have dark grout. They also can't fight with the soapstone. Hmmm.. a challenge for the artist!

Here is a good shot of the run: the blank space is for the d.w.

Jay's measurements were to a 16th of an inch -- so precise that I commented, "you have to be an engineer for this," little guessing that he would say "I am." Ya never know!

He'll be back next Wed to do the installation. Stay tuned.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rayna's Cabinets are here! (scroll down to Advantium )

Comments (7)