SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
versatilegardener

old house in questionable shape

versatilegardener
16 years ago

I am in the process of buying the old house I live in. It was originally built in the '30's as a hunting cabin. The original rooms are thick pine paneled with 10' ceilings. The fireplace is brick with a pine log split lengthwise as a mantel. I love the charm and want to stay here b/c the lot is so big and full of mature camellias and big pecans. My concerns are

1. part of the plumbing is still galvanized pipe - therefore no disposal in the kitchen and all the hot water is slow; the crawl space is difficult to reach b/c it is 18" in front and only about 8" in the back;

2. the old brick flue is still standing; should it be capped or torn down??

3. the insulation is substandard; I am relatively sure there is none under the house - shouldn't there be??

4. the paneling needs to be cleaned and sealed - even the original bath is panelled. It seems to be in good shape, just dull and dusty.

5. only part of the electrical system has been rewired. There is still an old fuse box connected to the breaker box, which shorts out about once every two months.

When my purchase goes through, am I going to have trouble with the mortgage company and insurance b/c the house may not be up to code due to these things???

There is a product I have had really good luck with: "Kustom Kleen". It is not harmful to pets or plants, has only a very mild odor which dissipates in a few hours, it even cleans blood from carpet. It cleans glass better than Windex. I have used it on the panelling in one room and it removed fireplace soot from the wood. It can be ordered from Coastal Industries, P.O. Box 404, Moulton, AL 35650, (258)974-8995. It is not expensive. I order it by the case. Even tho' it is concentrated, I go through it b/c it has so many uses.

Comments (2)